Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newly banded soreness by the port.

Hi everyone I hate to say this but I am completely regretting getting the band already. I was banded on the 15th and also got a surprise hernia repair. I havebeen in so much pain and meds are not doing much. My stomache is rumbling or making some crazy sounds constantly, and where my port is is so painful !!! I am thinking by today I shouls be feeling better since Monday and I was wondering what your guys experiences has been. I do not sleep well wake up in pain so I walk around and last night I was crying hysterical to my husband feeling like what the hell did I do to myself. I have a follow up appoitment today with the doc. The funny thing is I weighed 221 going into the hospital coming home I was 10 pounds up and now I am still 6 pounds up..I find that irritating since I am only having about 700 calories a day at this point. Please let me know if any of this is normal or it sounds as if something is wrong. So many people on the boards have made this procedure sounds so much less painful:confused:

What you're going through is completely normal. You had a major surgical procedure done, of course you're going to hurt! Some people don't seem to have much pain at all, but I really wondered what I'd done for several days after I had surgery.

You'll feel better soon, though. I promise! Give it another week.

As for the weight gain--you were pumped full of Fluid when you had surgery. Also remember that your body has gone through a major trauma. This is a time when you need to focus on healing, not on the scale. Your weight will go down, but your body needs to heal.

And port pain? Again, normal. I still get port pain, unfortunately.

*hugs* All normal normal normal. And it's also normal to be worried and wonder what's going on :blushing: Hang in there!

Hi,

I am newly banded. The pain at the port was so much more than I expected. I have had many surgeries and have a high pain tolerance. The pain at the port was unlike most post surgical pain I have ever had. I told the nurse at my post op support meeting that had I known it was going to hurt like that, I would never have had the procedure.

However, it does get better. I had to sleep in the recliner for almost a week because of the port pain. I no longer have pain in the port although I do occasionally have these twinges, but they are minor.

So hang in there. Focus on healing. It will turn around.

:blushing:

I'm a week post-op and can honestly say that my port doesn't hurt. I've been able to sleep on my side or flat from the first day. I wonder why some people have problems and some don't.

For sure, you should not have to suffer with pain. Ask your doc to prescribe something stronger.

I was banded 9 days ago. My port still hurts like hell, but the stomach is totally back to normal. No more grumbles, no more bathroom troubles, I have absolutely NO restriction, etc. I think it is just the healing we go through.

It does get better with time but some of us seem to have very painful ports, and some don't, but that will get better too. I had complications with the pain medication and so could not take even that, and I even called the doctor to get alternative medicine and ask what to do, and he totally blew me off. "oh, it will get better". That pissed me off- I usually don't take pain meds, so it was REALLY bad if I was calling. It would wake me up multiple times at night. That is starting to get better. I would actually not recommend my surgeon to others because I'm so upset about that.

However, now am feeling like a human again. Also: extremely hungry. I see why a lot of people don't lose weight after the surgery until a few fills. Oh, I hope I don't need such large fills, because having no success for six months until I finally get restriction will make me go BonKerS!

Hi everyone I hate to say this but I am completely regretting getting the band already. I was banded on the 15th and also got a surprise hernia repair. I havebeen in so much pain and meds are not doing much. My stomache is rumbling or making some crazy sounds constantly, and where my port is is so painful !!! I am thinking by today I shouls be feeling better since Monday and I was wondering what your guys experiences has been. I do not sleep well wake up in pain so I walk around and last night I was crying hysterical to my husband feeling like what the hell did I do to myself. I have a follow up appoitment today with the doc. The funny thing is I weighed 221 going into the hospital coming home I was 10 pounds up and now I am still 6 pounds up..I find that irritating since I am only having about 700 calories a day at this point. Please let me know if any of this is normal or it sounds as if something is wrong. So many people on the boards have made this procedure sounds so much less painful:confused:

I remember the day after surgery, not being able to get up without feeling like my insides were ripping open, worried I would mess up the surgery somehow. I could only sleep on my back. I had to slowly scoot up to get up. That lasted 2-3 days. Then, it slowly got better. The port continued to hurt, though, even at my two week appointment. I kept thinking they put it in wrong, or my port was flipped or something, but my doctor checked it and he said it was OK> Now, 8 weeks out, the port has finally stopped hurting. I am always conscious of it, though. I can feel it and when I bend over a table, I feel like I'm going to knock it out of the place it's attached. But, at least there is no more pain. Hang in there. I didn't believe them when they said it would take time, but they were right.

Umm I can totally relate. I gained 7lbs in hospital from all the fluids pumped in but am back down plus some a week out. I was on Vicodin almost nonstop the first five days as the incisions were all painful. But to put it in perspective, I am back to the gym doing 45min elliptical trainer after about ten days. To be honest I thought it would be less pain overall too, but have faith it really gets better...fast. I can now lay on my side and getting in and out of bed, sneezing, and most important...LAUGHING no longer hurt!

take care,

Fbs

Hang in there!

I was banded on 10/23 ... I have a good friend who was banded 6 weeks before me ... day two, she said it felt like she worked out and had sore muscles, but that was it ... by day 5, she felt 100% back to normal. I have a high pain tolerance and thought it would be a breeze for me ... WRONG! My port was SUPER painful. Even in week two, I had to prop pillows around me in bed to not hurt laying on my side. I was miserable. I am now just shy of my 4 week mark, and it still feels a little tender and hurts if I wear jeans, but in looser clothes, I feel pretty good. I almost went back to kick-boxing tonight, but decided to give it one more week as to not aggrevate anything. I promise it does get better.

Hang in there!

Randi

thank you everyone I had my doc appointment yesterday and he said everything was healing great and the pain was normal. Thank you all for four responses and I am day 5 post op and feeling slightly better. Today I took liquid tylenol and will try to only take the pain killer at night to sleep. I think my regrets are just being very scared of this whole unknown. I need to force myself to take it a day at a time.:)