Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The band *does* fail some people (long)

I've struggled with my band for more than a year now and never seem to get to the point where I'm really content after a meal. Oh, sometimes I thought I was but I soon realized it was nothing more than wishful thinking because I wanted to be at that sweet spot so bad!

For the last year, my relationship towards food has been pretty much the same as it was before being banded. I have good days and I have bad days. My band can take no credit for my 30 pound weight loss this past year...nor for the fact that I've maintained (well rollercoastered but still didn't gain it back) that 30 pounds. I have never hit that sweet spot.

So this afternoon I spent 2 hours with my surgeon. I told him I felt like such a failure. After looking at my chart and seeing my progression right up to the point of an overfill...and knowing that if I get even so much as .1cc right now, I'll be overfilled again because I am already at the point where I have to take small bites and chew thoroughly and be careful to avoid some foods that get stuck no matter how thoroughly I chew (e.g. bread)...he agreed that a fill would not be adviseable.

I always thought that if someone couldn't lose with a band, then the band didn't fail them...they failed the band. I told him this and his response was, "that's just not true." He said that the purpose of the band is not to restrict the amount you eat...which they originally believed years ago...but to create a situation where the stomach would stop producing the hormones that say 'feed me'. For most people, that's exactly how the band works. For about 20% of us, that never happens and so we're pretty much in the same situation as we were prior to being banded.

He said the sleeve is actually better than the band in the sense that when they remove that part of the stomach, they're removing the part that produces those 'feed me' hormones. That makes sense since this is essentially what my diabetic doctor's nurse (who has a sleeve) told me. She said from the day of surgery, her 'desire' to eat was gone. She still enjoys food, but that compulsion to eat has disappeared.

So, I'm moving forward to have a sleeve revision. He said BCBS has been pretty good about paying for revisions if someone has had the band for at least a year and there is evidence that they've 'worked' the band. Since I was in my surgeon's office on a pretty regular basis and they've documented well, I'm hoping I will qualify. It's a bit scary but at this point I don't see that I have any option since my band is not doing what it should for me.

In the meantime, he's removed all the fill since it's not doing anything but I'm going to continue to exercise and follow my diet since I don't want to be heavier than this if I'm having surgery again. Supposedly, it could be within the next 6 weeks if I don't mind having it before Christmas...and I don't. I just want to keep moving forward!

Good for you! We have to remember we are not cookie cutters! Each one of us is as different as a snowflake and we each need to find our own way out of obesity. I hope this is the answer you are looking for. ;)

Oh Elfie, anyone who's followed you on here knows you've given it the best try anyone could!

If BCBS doubts it, send them here! I'll set them straight!

I have BCBS also and my PCP told me a while that they are now paying for revisions for someone having problems as well. He indicated they won't pay for non-compliance issues, and that certainly isn't you!

Please keep us posted! I soooo hope the unfill helps your arm pain!

Oh Elfie, I am sorry the band has not worked the way it should with you. I know how much research you did pre-band. I know you have done everything the right way. You have followed the rules so much better than I ever have. I will not put you down. I am happy for you that you have had at least some success and wish you even better success with the sleeve.

Denise and Leigha...thank you for your supportive posts.

Actually, I was lying down when he was taking my fill out and my arm was really hurting (usual in that position)...and almost immediately the pain was gone! The 1 1/2 hour ride to the clinic was miserable! I didn't even realize that I had tears running down my face from the pain (the car seat puts me at the right angle apparently). Coming home...nothing! Sweet relief!

Thanks HB.

My goal now is to at least maintain this loss until/if I have the revision surgery. If I lose some more...bonus. ;)

Denise and Leigha...thank you for your supportive posts.

Actually, I was lying down when he was taking my fill out and my arm was really hurting (usual in that position)...and almost immediately the pain was gone! The 1 1/2 hour ride to the clinic was miserable! I didn't even realize that I had tears running down my face from the pain (the car seat puts me at the right angle apparently). Coming home...nothing! Sweet relief!

Elphie...wishing you all the best (and insurance coverage, too) as you head towards your next step to a healthier you.

It was so good to read that you got relief from your shoulder pain after your unfill. ;)

I wish you all the best! Just please don't forget us bandsters who look forward to hearing from you! ;) I go for my appt on Thursday and have seriously been tossing around if they tell me that I need surgery again asking them to convert me to the sleeve as well....hey you never know maybe we will be sleeve sisters!! lol So happy to hear that you aren't in pain anymore and yes we ALL know how much you have worked it. You are not a failure, it just wasn't the right thing for you

I agree that the band can fail people, and from what I've seen from your posts, you have really given it your all to try to work with your band! It is odd how the band works flawlessly for some and not at all for others.

I know people who have had plenty of success with the sleeve and hope you are able to join them. Hopefully you decide to stay so we can follow your new journey! Best of luck to you and congrats on losing the weight you did while banded.

I haven't posted much yet myself but I've read many of your posts Elfie and I wish you all the best with your revision surgery!! You are a very thoughtful & helpful member of these forums. Please post updates here so we can take the journey with you ;)

Thanks everyone! Actually, I was going to stay anyway because I'm still working on changing lifetime habits and it seems to me that while I may not be dealing with all of the vagaries of a band, I'll still be dealing with some of the same issues of having to take small bites, chew well, etc. that banders have to deal with...or so my doc's nurse tells me. I'm not going anywhere!

Elfie - your story so parallels mine. I never thought I failed the band. It failed me. I did everything right, followed all the rules - still do, but at no fill level did I ever reach anything close to satiety or lack of hunger. I lost 75lbs, but only 15 from the band. So, like you, I don't credit it with much.

I also met with my doctor today and he said the same thing - that the band just doesn't work the way we want it to for everyone (getting to sweet spot, not hungry, etc).

So, I guess we're in the 20%. I am unfilled now and plan to stay that way. We talked about the sleeve and I said that if it's important to match the person with the right WLS - from what I have read - the sleeve would match me. I have always had a huge appetite, even when thin, and could eat a lot. Then I started to put on weight. My appetite has always been huge. It takes a lot of food to satisfy my hunger.

He said with some even though food is in the pouch the bottom stomach is feeling empty and I'm like - YES, YES, that's exactly how I feel.

However, since I have lost weight with the band and my insurance doesn't cover the sleeve, I will just have to continue my journey as is.

I am so glad you are getting the revision. I think it sounds like it is right for you. Good luck in your new journey.

Cleo,

I can relate to the 'takes a lot of food'. Prior to the band, I would put enough food away at dinner to feed 3 grown men. That's my problem now. I want...and am able...to eat that much still. It's only through sheer willpower that I don't...which is why I haven't gained back the 30 I've lost...but with enough bad days that I'm not losing anymore.

Congratulate yourself for coming so far on your own!

Elfie - I sooo enjoy your posts and I commend you on your bravery and strength.

Peace and health to you