Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FYI...Low Profile Port w/Lap Band

Hey all, just wanted to let people know that there is a LOW PROFILE PORT available with the Lap Band. Basically, it's a thinner and smaller port for those that are worried about it sticking out of your skin. It's not really mentioned because it is smaller so most doctors don't want to deal with not finding it easily for injections. I have a smaller midsection so this is very important to me and my doctor said it wasn't a problem.

So, if you are in same the boat it is another thought to consider. I am getting it and my surgery is on Nov. 15, so I let everyone know how it went. Congradulations to all.

I had minor surgery last week to change over to the low profile port....I wish that I had it from the beginning but my doc wouldn't do it.

Mimi

Did your ins. pay or what would it cost self-pay

My port is according to the nurse at my doctor's office "really really deep. This is after I have lost 20 pounds. Most people are not going to have and issue until they are at goal weight.

I also was able to get the low profile port...and my surgery was 2/5/09. Ask your doctors...:smile2:

I was just banded Nov 2 I got the Allergen Lapband not Realize.And I cant even feel my port.

Edited by Sambug1

Boo, I should have my band surgery near the end of December. I would like to get the low profile port now that I know it exists. I have a BMI of 44 as of today. I'm sure by surgery date it should be down at least 1 or 2 more points. Do you think I would qualify to get that type of port? Also I have Humana Select Insurance. Is there anything I should be aware of so that I get my approval? I would sure appreciate anything you could share with me. Thanks Linnie

Hey there, I was just made aware of the low profile. I think it depends on your body type and the doctor. My doctor specifically told me that most doctors don't like to do it because it can be hard to find, my doctor said he's really good at finding the port so I wasn't a problem for him and my body type is like a pear. Anyways, I'd rather get it done now not have to go in a change it later. Also, I didn't know that the port is attached with a mesh screen. Weird, I asked him to attach a stich to the stomach muscle so I won't flip. I'm kind of a freak about the port because I workout really hard with my trainer. Everbodies different and have different needs just be aware of your options because it is your body. Congrats to all

Boo, I should have my band surgery near the end of December. I would like to get the low profile port now that I know it exists. I have a BMI of 44 as of today. I'm sure by surgery date it should be down at least 1 or 2 more points. Do you think I would qualify to get that type of port? Also I have Humana Select Insurance. Is there anything I should be aware of so that I get my approval? I would sure appreciate anything you could share with me. Thanks Linnie

Hey all, just wanted to let people know that there is a LOW PROFILE PORT available with the LAP-BAND®. Basically, it's a thinner and smaller port for those that are worried about it sticking out of your skin. It's not really mentioned because it is smaller so most doctors don't want to deal with not finding it easily for injections. I have a smaller midsection so this is very important to me and my doctor said it wasn't a problem.

So, if you are in same the boat it is another thought to consider. I am getting it and my surgery is on Nov. 15, so I let everyone know how it went. Congradulations to all.

Thank you --- My doctor briefly told me about it - I'm very interested in it because about 4 years ago (while undergoing a hysterectomy, i also tummy tucked) so my mid-section is pretty flat (although I've put some serious weight on) it's still pretty tight and flat considering....

I definitely want that low port

Thank you Firechic. I appreciate any info I can get.

I have the regular port.

It's hard to find on me.

Each of my fills has been a hunt for my port... and it HURTS. If it was any smaller I don't think they'd be able to get it. He has to push and push around the port area, which is not pleasant, put a pillow under my back and have me lay in a crunch position while pushing. Last fill he spent 15 minutes pushing and poking before finding it. He was about ready to schedule me for a fill under xray but I said I was ok for a few more tries. So I've got a big bruised port area and 9 needle pricks but I got my fill.

I will be thrilled when I have lost enough for my port to be "visible"! And if it bothers me then I can change to the low profile, but no way I would want to make this sucker any harder to find!!!

Hi there, sorry to hear about your port problem. Wow thats scarey to be pokin around in there. I think each person is different I have a smaller mid section compared to the rest of me so for me the smaller port will be better especially after the weight loss. I also lose the seight in my stomach first ass last so for me I think I'll work. My sugery is monday so I'll let you know what I think then.

Take care

I have the regular port.

It's hard to find on me.

Each of my fills has been a hunt for my port... and it HURTS. If it was any smaller I don't think they'd be able to get it. He has to push and push around the port area, which is not pleasant, put a pillow under my back and have me lay in a crunch position while pushing. Last fill he spent 15 minutes pushing and poking before finding it. He was about ready to schedule me for a fill under xray but I said I was ok for a few more tries. So I've got a big bruised port area and 9 needle pricks but I got my fill.

I will be thrilled when I have lost enough for my port to be "visible"! And if it bothers me then I can change to the low profile, but no way I would want to make this sucker any harder to find!!!

Definetely express your desire to your Surgeon...I don't believe it makes any difference when it comes to insurance paying for it. I also have Humana. Even when I was heavy I did have a waistline, so my surgeon was more than happy to follow through with my wishes. GOOD LUCK :) Sorry for the slow reply, having a hard time navigating through the new changes to the site.