Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a pre bander trying to do as much research as I can. While reading posts today I came upon the subject of going out to eat, making sure where the bathrooms are in case of having the need to vomit and ordering sliders when eating out. First, is vomiting really an issue that happens a lot and exactly what foods are considered sliders? If you have the need to get sick is it the overwhelming kind of vomiting we all have done before banding? Do you have time to get to that bathroom you scouted out while entering the restaurant? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.:smile:

Well, I've only gone out to eat maybe 5x since being banded, which was on Aug. 3rd. I've only PB'd twice, once and home and once at work. Both completely my fault and could have been avoided. I can't image why you can't go out to dinner and not have a problem PBing all the time. I really don't think that's the case. You just have to be careful about chewing and taking very small bites. All the stuff you know you need to do.

Anyway, the PB I've experienced has been pressure/pain in the chest and then the food giving me the got to get to the bathroom feeling, however, it wasn't to the point where I had to run. I actually just leaned over the toilet and the slime came right out and the feeling went away.

I am a pre bander trying to do as much research as I can. While reading posts today I came upon the subject of going out to eat, making sure where the bathrooms are in case of having the need to vomit and ordering sliders when eating out. First, is vomiting really an issue that happens a lot and exactly what foods are considered sliders? If you have the need to get sick is it the overwhelming kind of vomiting we all have done before banding? Do you have time to get to that bathroom you scouted out while entering the restaurant? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.:smile:

The throwing up isnt that big of issue for me and I am 3 months out. I really enjoy going out to eat and have yet to have to go find a bathroom to throw up. When I do get the sensation to throw up it sometimes can be a urgent i need to go now feeling... But once you learn what foods dont do that to you just order those foods when you go out! I'm 50 pounds down now and still enjoy eatting out about twice a week :( Good luck!!! It's the best thing I ever did and do not regret it at all!!

It's not really "throwing up" the food comes back up whole just as you chewed it. The feeling it totally different. I HATE it, I have been banded for almost 2 years and have been to the point where I was too full and even meat would make me regerg. It's not something you have to worry about unless you take huge bits or are too full. You know right away when it it's going to happen and if it happens often that's when you need to get some Fluid taken out. I eat out, but you do need to know what you can and can not eat. Your best bet going out to eat is grilled chicken. Don't worry if it is going to happen you have control of holding it back in case the restrooms are not close. I can hold my for up to 10 minutes. As disgusting as that sounds it helps to have that control. Hope my long winded answer helped.

It's not vomiting as you know it pre-banding. It's more of a baby-spitup type deal. You have something inside that doesn't agree with your band, you get rid of it, you feel good again.

I've been banded 19 months, only had to PB once in a restaurant and that was due to a rather stressful situation (had picked up my dd from the ER in a another city after she totaled her car.. major stress). I had plenty of warning, it was no big deal.

In fact, it was almost a year before I had my first pb episode at all.. everyone varies so much in their reactions to the band and how they eat afterwards.

Sliders are foods that are soft and slip past the band and don't contribute to satiety. Things like Ice Cream and Yogurt are obvious sliders. Less obvious ones are popcorn and salads (sometimes). What is a slider for one person might not be for another person.

Grilled chicken for me is a very hard food to eat. It's often dry and will get stuck and cause a pb episode quicker than other foods. I usually get grilled or baked fish, but then again I'm a seafood lover.

Keep asking questions.. we all learn that way.

I read that same thread you did and thought, "OMG, everyone's going to think we all throw up all the time. Who would want a band if you can't even go out and eat in public?"

Well, it's not like that for me. I have never once thrown up (or PB'd) in public and don't plan on starting. Oh, I have had my issues when things don't go down well, but I just don't spontaneously PB. I have to go to the bathroom and work the process. Even the one time when I did get stuck at a Chinese buffet (I know, it wasn't my choice!), I didn't actually PB until I got home.

As for eating out, I still like to go out, but I usually do order something safe. It's not so much that I'm worried about getting sick in public. It's more that I just don't want to be that careful. It's hard to enjoy eating a steak, if you need to think about every bite. I'd rather eat something easy and enjoy the conversation. Also, those slider foods will leave you with room for dessert. I don't do it every time, but it is nice on a special ocassion.

Cindy

A big THANKS to everyone for your responses. I feel much better now. There are so many things to think about with this decision. It sure makes things easier when you have friends out there with some answers.

I am the one who posted that I order sliders while eating out.

Howdy!

I don't really scope out bathrooms, because it is seldom an issue, and there is time to find the bathroom if it is needed. I order sliders when I am with a group and don't want to have to excuse myself and then explain when I return after a period of time. A stuck episode can sometimes take a bit of time to resolve.

If I am out with my DH, I'll order whatever I feel like. When I am with a group, sometimes I get more wrapped up in the convo and will take too big of a bite, so I opt for easier to eat foods to aviod an uncomforatble (in more ways than one) situation.

Once you learn what foods work or don't work for you, it gets much easier. But the fact remains, that you never know when an episode could happen.

DH and I were at a local pub. I was having grilled cod, and commented that many folk here say they get stuck on fish. I was saying I could not understand why, it is so soft and easy to chew. About 20 seconds later, the pain and slime started. Oh yeah!

I was taking small bites and chewing, but it still got stuck. So, I went to the restroom and up it came. Slime and fish. Joy! Plop into the public toilet, complete with backsplash into the EYE!

Note to all, if urping into a public toilet, put a seat protector into the Water first..it will stop any backsplash. I learned of this here, AFTER this event happened!