Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op and i cheated!

I am 5 days post op and i am currently on full liquids....today i had light Soup but ate (and chewed) the veggies and little pieces of meat. It stayed down ok but now I am beating myself up. It was a light soup with only 100 cal but I feel if I did it now what if I do it again?? I told myself I will not allow myself but I am just so down right now. It also doesnt help that a certain someone in my house is sooo supportive before surgery and then bought an entire cheeseake for me to see when i open the fridge, and also tells me it is ok to cheat at holidays!!! I have decided to have my own holiday at my parents because I feel they are supportive and so is my fiance....it is just so frustrating and I have no one to vent to. I went walking yesterday and felt pain so stopped I just tell myself when I can start excersising I will be alot better. I am even planning on joining a gym and i have an eliptical in my room. I just hope I can keep it up! thanks for listening

I am also 5 days post op! I did the same thing today too! if it stays down, no harm no foul is my feeling on this. I had chicken noodle Soup, it tasted so good! dont beat yourself up over this. Just get back on the horse. We have been on a diet for so long that I feel this was no big deal. As for the up coming holidays, stop take a deep breath, think about eating it and how it is going to feel coming back up later. That is how i plan on eating thru all the tough times coming up. I have friends coming over tomorrow that are bring pizza for my wife and kids, it sounds so good, but I want some, but then I think about how it is going to feel coming up later that night. Hope that helps a little.

Thank you and it dido know that i am not alone lol. back on the horse now lol

Guys I wouldn't beat yourself up over Soup. I am allowed to have light chicken noodle and chicken and rice soup during my liquid stage post-op. The only catch is it has to be blenderized. Trust me...that soup is the only way I could make it through lol. The soup is the highlight of my day.

Don't beat yourself up! I am 3 months post op and during my liquid phase i did a lot of veggie soup... It is the only way I survived!!! I'm 50 pounds down so I think I'm doing ok!!

I am 5 days post op and i am currently on full liquids....today i had light Soup but ate (and chewed) the veggies and little pieces of meat. It stayed down ok but now I am beating myself up. It was a light soup with only 100 cal but I feel if I did it now what if I do it again?? I told myself I will not allow myself but I am just so down right now. It also doesnt help that a certain someone in my house is sooo supportive before surgery and then bought an entire cheeseake for me to see when i open the fridge, and also tells me it is ok to cheat at holidays!!! I have decided to have my own holiday at my parents because I feel they are supportive and so is my fiance....it is just so frustrating and I have no one to vent to. I went walking yesterday and felt pain so stopped I just tell myself when I can start excersising I will be alot better. I am even planning on joining a gym and i have an eliptical in my room. I just hope I can keep it up! thanks for listening

Hi Angeleyes! Remember we are only 5 days out! There will be plenty of time after we are healed to be mad at ourselves for not doing what we told ourselves we would! I have graduated myself to more substantial meals than I was having the first few days because I am having difficulty getting all of my calories in and do not want to end up with my body in starvation mode. My doctor told me that I just need to be careful to chew chew chew chew chew because getting something stuck would not be a fun experience. I have seen a lot of people on this site talk about learning their lesson after getting something stuck from eating the wrong thing or by eating too fast. I am petrified of that, but am glad in a sense that this will help to keep me in check. The reason that the band is a tool is that it will help with Portion Control and hunger pains, EVENTUALLY. There is a learning curve involved and an adjustment period that you should prepare yourself for. Right now is the healing phase, you haven't even gotten a fill yet. So anyhow I'm not sure you can call it cheating if you didnt do anything that could cause you harm. Now, on the other hand, if you attack that cheescake..............

How are you feeling physically, btw?

Don't beat yourself up! I am 3 months post op and during my liquid phase i did a lot of veggie soup... It is the only way I survived!!! I'm 50 pounds down so I think I'm doing ok!!

I just joined the group today, I had my surgery in July. So far I have had 1 fill and only lost half what you have. I just don't know sometimes. I could use a good sample diet. HELP anyone. I am so ready for this change...:thumbup:

I just joined the group today, I had my surgery in July. So far I have had 1 fill and only lost half what you have. I just don't know sometimes. I could use a good sample diet. HELP anyone. I am so ready for this change...:thumbup:

You won't lose the same as someone else. It's your journey; remember that. My only tips are exercise, Water, and Protein. Count your calories and see if it helps.

@ OP. While you did cheat, I think it was a wise cheat. I wouldn't worry too much because it isn't worth the stress. Just pick yourself up and move on.

Clear liquid phase is brutal! When can you move to full liquids? At day 8 I could start having Tomato Soup, what bliss! On day 6 I strained a can of Soup to have the liquid and a piece of carrot fell in and I ate it; sooo good. You might want to talk to your doctors office about moving to full liquids now. I tried to move to mushies a few days early and my doctor said NO. Bleh.

I understand the post op diet sucks. The food options are'nt really about weight loss (though it does happen considering you are being starved to death) but about healing the stomach. I would watch one of the surgeries on YouTube (not at all bloody) it really hits home why the stomach needs to rest for several weeks. Most doctors put a stich in the new pouch and then pull it down to sew it to the larger bottom stomach. They make like 2-3 stiches. To me makes the bands placement a little tenuous; especially during the healing stage.

If I were you I wouldn't push the liquid phase, you can make your band slip. My band slipped after a year of being banded, and my doctor told me it could slip if you don't follow the diet they tell you too!

I just joined the group today, I had my surgery in July. So far I have had 1 fill and only lost half what you have. I just don't know sometimes. I could use a good sample diet. HELP anyone. I am so ready for this change...:smile:

I've had 2 fills so far which put me at 3cc's and today they had to remove .5cc because I was to tight. I do a lot of exercise and I have a job where i am active a lot. I have found that i LOVE zumba!!! Its a fun way to exercise!!! I dont really have a diet menu... I just cook whatever im in the mood for that day. I do not eat out hardly any. Just be sure to exercise and drink PLENTY of water!!!!! :smile::thumbup::(:thumbup:

Hi Angeleyes! Remember we are only 5 days out! There will be plenty of time after we are healed to be mad at ourselves for not doing what we told ourselves we would! I have graduated myself to more substantial meals than I was having the first few days because I am having difficulty getting all of my calories in and do not want to end up with my body in starvation mode. My doctor told me that I just need to be careful to chew chew chew chew chew because getting something stuck would not be a fun experience. I have seen a lot of people on this site talk about learning their lesson after getting something stuck from eating the wrong thing or by eating too fast. I am petrified of that, but am glad in a sense that this will help to keep me in check. The reason that the band is a tool is that it will help with Portion Control and hunger pains, EVENTUALLY. There is a learning curve involved and an adjustment period that you should prepare yourself for. Right now is the healing phase, you haven't even gotten a fill yet. So anyhow I'm not sure you can call it cheating if you didnt do anything that could cause you harm. Now, on the other hand, if you attack that cheescake..............

How are you feeling physically, btw?

I am physically doing well, and have made it my point to walk around more lol. I am having suture pain and leakage from the site in the front of my belly (went all over the bed last night) but its more annoying. I am also coming to terms with what i think is cheating and telling myself at least im not downing a can of pringles and all the halloween reese's lol

Angeleyes, you need to let your doc know about leaking all over the bed. If you are open that much you may be prone to infection in the site. Been there, done that.

The point of the post-op full liquid and clear liquid stages is so that our stomachs don't have to grind. They anchor the band down with just a few stitches, and they don't want any grinding to occur while those stitches heal. Advancing your diet quicker than ordered could put your band at risk.

Eating some mushy canned Soup probably did no harm, but please, be careful. I don't write this to add to your guilt, but it it important to know WHY they give us the orders they do. But then again, not all doctors order the same stages of post-op diets. YOUR doctor knows exactly how he anchored your band in place and what is needed for it to heal properly.

Unsupportive people are out there everywhere. This forum is a good place to come. I'd plant the cheesecake on that person's face. Or at the very least put a dish towel over it so I didn't have to see it on full display every time I opened the fridge (and explain nicely why I did it)!

I am 5 days post op and this full liquid diet is a bear but I am encouraged to make it through this. Everything tastes horrible so i am just making sure I get my Protein Shakes in during the day. I am drinking Water as well but I stay full so long its hard to get all my water in. All I can do is keep on trying because we have a long way to go!!