Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What could it be?

I was banded in March of 2007. I quickly lost over 100 lbs. in six months. Time passed and I maintained for a year or two and then I went in for a fill that ultimately filled me to the point I couldn't swallow. Due to a kink in the tubing I needed emergency surgery to repair the port and tubing. That was last April. So here we are a year out from that and I am having some new complications. About two months ago I had a slight fill, as I felt that I could still eat way too much. About a month ago I started to notice severe heartburn and acid reflux. Also, I can still in my mind, eat way too much. I also throw up my food way too often. Now I know that if thats happening that its because I eat too quick or too much etc. But I'm not. Any ideas on whats going on? I'm gaining weight back, not feeling full, puking too often, and have bad heartburn.

AZPete:

You really should have an appointment with your doctor to have him/her do a barium swallow to see if your band is in proper position and if the barium is moving through the band as it should.

I hope you don't have a slipped band. Heartburn is not supposed to happen routinely. Please get it checked and let us know how you made out.

Take care.

Sue

So they scheduled me for a barium swallow on Tuesday morning. I am concerned as I have to take heartburn medication like clock work every morning or else the I cannot make it through the day. It even wakes me up at night. As far as the puking, that happens almost daily, however as strange as it sounds I can still eat way too much food, the puking happens after a few hours when I try to drink. I think I may have messed it up. I will let you know.

AZPete I hope you are OK...I have had 2 small unfills for the same symptoms of reflux, etc and I throw up a lot so am always hungry. Enter stage left...slider food like milkshakes, ice cream, etc. I am up 7 pounds and I hate it!!!! Good luck,

Mimi

I have had those symptoms and had to have a slight unfill...sounds like you are too tight. I do not know why that happened to me after weeks of feeling fine, but I guess our bodies change with weight loss and what worked one week may not work this week??

Good luck!!! I have an appt with my doctor Tuesday to check on my band...I had a slip 2 years ago and being self pay, I do not want that to happen again.

I think you've been too tight, hopefully that's all it is.

Its really hard to keep a proper mentality as to how much we shoudl eat. I feel like you describe, keep thinking I'm eating too much, maybe a fill is needed. But really, my weight is steady. We are not supposed to starve forever, just becuase you have a band doesnt mean you shouldnt be able to eat what a normal weight person will be able to eat! For me, 2000 calories a day at my height and activity level is very reasonable. In my head though, that's absolutely overeating - I mean I eat that much, but I think I'm a pig.

You do not need to be tight to maintain, you have to at some point let your new habits and lifestyle take over and dont rely on restriction to eat reasonably.

Ok so yesterday I had my upper GI done and the radiologist was extremely distressed by the position of the band, the severe reflux, the dialation of the pouch and esophagus, and the fact that barely a drop a barium went through. Fast forward to this morning and after ignoring the radiologist's request that I immediately go upstairs to have my fill completely removed, I did just that. They quickly removed all of my fill. Then stated that I have a dialated pouch and stretched out my esophagus. My band may also be slipped, but not officially stated yet as such, but with all of the symptoms, it fits that diagnosis. They stated that more and more of us are having trouble as the years go by. I was a model patient for the first year, then complications struck. Major surgery to repair, then it was never the same. Extremely painful to eat, led to eating only foods that didn't hurt. I haven't gained much back, about 20lbs. But I see that changing. We are discussing a revision. Probably the VSG which they believe will phase out the band in the future. I don't knock the band completely, it did give me my life back, however with this foreign body inside of me, things have been complicated at times to say the least. So it looks like I'll enjoy a good thanksgiving dinner and that the new year will bring a new partner in helping keep off the weight.