Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lately, I have really been struggling with a plateau and a mere one pound WL last week. I found this link in a previous thread and thought it was worth taking a look at.

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

I plan on doing the 5 day pouch test after every fill and kick off the plateau.

Thanks! I'm going to try it myself. If it's not too bad, I think I might just do it each Monday thru Friday! I need some structure until I get restriction.

Lately, I have really been struggling with a plateau and a mere one pound WL last week. I found this link in a previous thread and thought it was worth taking a look at.

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

I plan on doing the 5 day pouch test after every fill and kick off the plateau.

I finish did the 5- Day Pouch Test and I lost almost 5 lbs :smile: !! FYI, started the same day I got the fill and I also workout on day 3 and 5 (light). Currently, I am eating "low-carb" so I can keep the weight off.

I might do this again next month!!

Edited by vikki99

The 5 day pouch test is great to get back on track and get rid of cravings. I use it when I fall off the wagon really bad or after a big fill.

The first time I did it I nearly lost 3kg! If you want to see how I did with it just go to my blog and search the 5 day pouch test :smile:

What is it? Before I spend 50 bucks I'd like an idea.

What is it? Before I spend 50 bucks I'd like an idea.

You dont need to spend any money buying anything unnecessary for the test.

It is basically just a diet where you do 2 days liquid one day soft food one day firm food and one day normal food.

All you have to go is follow the requirements of what your allowed to have each day.

There is a package you can order with some recipes etc but I have never ordered it. I don't think it could be shipped here. The package does look helpful though.

You don't have to order a thing, it tells you the plan right on the website. I don't think its rocket science, and its only 5 days- PERFECT for me!

I am sorry this is going to be long. This is most of the info on the website

Here is the info from the website

Days 1 & 2: liquid Protein

low-carb Protein shakes, broth, clear or cream Soups, sugar-free Gelatin and pudding. Carb Monster Soup Mixes. ( if you buy the package set)

The first two days are all liquids. You can have as many low-carb Protein Shakes as you like to satisfy hunger or cravings. In addition drink at least six 8-ounce glasses of Water each day. The purpose of all liquids is to break any snacking, grazing or processed carbohydrate habits. In addition the liquids will work to cleanse your system and prepare you for the following three days.

Try to reduce your caffeine intake as well, but do not stop caffeine cold turkey or you will feel sick and frustrated potentially losing the desire to continue with the pouch test.

Here are some recipe ideas

Days 1 & 2 recipes - Liquid Protein

Mocha smoothie by Andie Jamari

Page 6 - Neighborhood Cookbook

Ingredients:

1/2 cup decaffeinated coffee

1/2 cup skim milk

2 Tablespoons vanilla or unflavored Protein powder

1 Tablespoon cocoa

4 teaspoons Splenda (or sweetener of your choice)

5 ice cubes

Directions: Place all ingredients in blender container, cover and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.

Serves one. Per serving: 110 calories, 15 grams Protein, 11 grams carbohydrate and a trace of fat.

Pina Colada Protein shake by BamaGal

Page 6 Neighborhood Cookbook Ingredients:

1 cup Water

2 packets Splenda

2 scoops vanilla Protein Powder

8 ice cubes

1 teaspoon pineapple extract

1/2 teaspoon coconut extract

Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy.

Recipe Note: protein count will vary depending upon the brand of protein powder used. Please consult product label for nutritional information.

Vanilla Chai smoothie by Andie Jamari

Page 12 - Neighborhood Cookbook

Ingredients:

1 cup skim milk

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 cup Splenda

1/3 cup unflavored or vanilla protein powder

3 teaspoons instant tea mix, unsweetened

3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract

3/4 teaspoons cinnamon

8 ice cubes

Directions:

Place all ingredients into blender container; cover and mix until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve immediately.

Serve 2. Per serving: 110 calories, 16 grams protein, 11 grams carbohydrate and no fat.

unjury Hi-Protein pudding by Andie Jamari

Page 47 - Neighborhood Cookbook

Ingredients:

1 (4 servings per package) package Jell-O sugar-free instant pudding, any flavor

2 cups fat free milk

2 scoops Unjury unflavored protein powder

Directions:

Measure 2 cups of cold fat free milk and add two scoops of unflavored Unjury. shake or stir until Unjury is completely dissolved into milk. Place the sugar free pudding mix in a medium bowl and slowly whisk in milk mixture. Whisk until smooth. Cover and chill.

Serves 4. Each 1/4 cup serving has 14 grams protein.

Day 3: Soft Proteins

The next three days you get to eat as much as you want as often as you want! Ahhh, but there's a catch: it has to be solid protein and you only get 15 minutes each time you sit down to eat. No drinking 30 minutes before or after meals and no drinking with your food. A dry pouch will hold your soft protein longer helping your to feel full and fed longer.

Protein Recommendations: canned fish (tuna or salmon) mixed with lemon and seasoned with salt and pepper, cottage cheese, canned chicken, eggs cooked as desired seasoned with salt pepper and/or salsa, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy), baked or grilled, and lightly seasoned.

This starts your program with "soft" protein. Measure your portion (1 cup volume or 4-6 ounces weight) and eat only until you feel full, not overfull. Remember, no water for 30 minutes before or after you meal, and no fluids with your meal. We are going back to the beginning and fluids will prevent you from feeling the pouch. If you need to add a moist condiment ( Miracle Whip or mayonnaise) to the canned fish I understand, but keep it to a minimum so the meat is not too moist. One reason we lose the sense of tightness in our pouch is that we eat "slider foods" - foods that are too moist and do not stay in the pouch very long, they slide right through the stoma.

Recipes

Turkey Egg salad

Serves 12 (about 1-cup each serving) 1 cup fat-free Mayonnaise

1/2 cup vinaigrette

1/2 cup relish

1/2 cup celery, chopped

1/4 cup green onion, chopped

6 eggs, hard-boiled, chopped

6 cups turkey breast, boneless and skinless, chopped

Mix mayonnaise, vinaigrette, eggs, relish, celery and green onion seed in large bowl. Gently stir in turkey. COVER and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

Nutritional data: 247 calories. Protein, 32 grams (54%); Fat, 9 grams (33%); Carbohydrates, 8 grams (14%).

Feta chicken Salad

Traditional chicken salad pumped-up with the flavor of feta cheese. This is satisfyingly delicious made with freshly cooked chicken, store-bought rotisserie chicken or canned chicken. Enjoy on a bed of lettuce.

3 cups diced cooked chicken

2 large stalks celery, diced

1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced

1/2 red onion, diced

6 tablespoons mayonnaise

6 tablespoons sour cream

1 (4 ounce) package feta cheese, crumbled

2 teaspoons dried dill weed

1 pinch salt and pepper to taste

In a serving bowl, mix together the chicken, celery, and red onion. In a separate bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, feta cheese, and dill. Pour over the chicken mixture, and stir to blend. Taste, and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving.

Day 4: Firm Protein

Protein Recommendations: ground meat (beef, turkey, lamb) cooked dry and lightly seasoned, shellfish, scallops, lobster steamed and seasoned only with lemon, salmon or halibut steaks, grilled and lightly seasoned.

By now you should be experiencing that familiar tightness that will reassure you that your pouch is working. Remember to drink plenty of water between meals. Take some time to meditate and rediscover the wonder of your pouch. Often we don't like that uncomfortable tightness of the pouch, which is why we gradually move toward slider foods that don't make us uncomfortable. It is always my preference to eat moist protein so I don't get uncomfortable, but doing so allows me to consume more than I should. Rediscovering the pouch with this 5-day plan reminds me of how the tool really works. I hope by now you are rediscovering your tool and enjoying the hope and excitement because your pouch still works.

Recipes

Baked Halibut with Herbs - Recipe of the Week

page 98 - Neighborhood Cookbook

Ingredients:

2 6-oz halibut steaks or fillets

1/4 cup dry white wine or low sodium chicken stock

1 lemon, zested and juiced

3 medium cloves garlic, pressed

2 tablespoons capers

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon

1 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450. Place the fish in a baking dish just large enough to hold them, and add remaining ingredients. Cover, and bake until done, about 15 minutes; don't overcook. Serve at once, pouring the pan juices over the fish.

Halibut is 40 calories per ounce and 7 grams of protein per ounce. It is rich in tryptophan, selenium, Vitamin B3 (niacin), phosphorus and magnesium.

Herbed Scallops by Beth Omicioli "BuffyCT"

Page 120 - Neighborhood Cookbook

Ingredients:

5 oz. scallops

1/2 clove minced garlic

1/2 tablespoon butter or margarine

2 tablespoons minced onion

1 scallion minced

1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley

1 tablespoon lemon juice

salt and pepper to taste

pinch dried tarragon

Directions:

Saute onion, garlic and scallion in butter. Add scallops, salt and pepper. Add herbs. Cook 5 minutes or until scallops are opaque. Do not over cook. Add lemon juice. Serve warm. Enjoy!

Serves two. Per serving: 88 calories, 12 grams protein, 3 grams fat (2 saturated) and 2 grams carbohydrate.

Mediterranean Turkey Patties by Lucinda

Page 128 - Neighborhood Cookbook

Ingredients:

2 1/4 lbs. ground turkey

1/2 cup finely minced yellow onion

3 tablespoons fresh minced cilantro

1 large clove garlic, minced

4 teaspoons ground cumin

2 teaspoons ground coriander

1 teaspoon coarse salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients, except olive oil, in a large bowl until well blended (can be refrigerated in a covered container for several hours or overnight). Form the turkey mixture into 6 patties. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and swirl the pan to coat the bottom evenly. Add the turkey patties and saute for 4-5 minutes on each side. To serve, place a turkey patty on each of six dinner plates and top with a dollop of Greek Yogurt and Cucumber Dip, if desired.

Serves six. Per serving: 298 calories, 30 grams protein, 19 grams fat (4 saturated) and 1 gram carbohydrate.

Cajun Shrimp

This is an easy recipe. You can substitute a ready-made Cajun spice blend for the custom spice blend here. Use 2-3 tablespoons of a ready-made blend, but be aware of increased sodium content and MSGs.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined

1 teaspoon paprika

3/4 teaspoon dried thyme

3/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Combine first 8 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal bag and shake to coat. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add shrimp; sauté 4 minutes or until shrimp are done.

Per 5 ounce serving: 215 calories, 35 grams protein, 6 grams fat and 2 grams carbohydrate. Rich inVitamin B12, zinc and Niacin.

Salisbury Steak

We provide three ground meat options to suit your personal taste.

Ingredients:

1 pound ground meat of your choice

1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 egg

1 large onion, sliced

1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth

1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained

2 tablespoons cold water

2 teaspoons cornstarch Directions

Mix ground beef, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and egg: shape into 4 oval patties, each about 3/4 inch thick. Cook patties in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally until brown, about 10 minutes. Drain excess fat from skillet. Add onion, broth and mushrooms. Heat to boiling: reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes.

Remove patties to a plate, tent with foil to keep warm. Heat onion mixture to boiling. In a small bowl whisk together water and cornstarch. Stir into onion mixture whisking to prevent lumps. Bring to a boil and continue whisking for 1 minute as mixture thickens. Serve sauce over meat patties.

Per serving using extra lean ground beef: 321 calories, 27 grams protein, 21 grams fat (8 saturated), 6 grams carbohydrate and 1 gram dietary Fiber.

Per serving using lean ground pork: 354 calories, 24 grams protein, 25 grams fat (9 saturated), 6 grams carbohydrate and 1 gram dietary Fiber.< /p>

Per serving using ground turkey: 225 calories, 25 grams protein, 11 grams fat (3 saturated), 6 grams carbohydrate and 1 gram dietary fiber.

Day 5: Solid Protein

Protein Recommendations: white meat poultry cooked dry and lightly seasoned, beef steak (if tolerated) grilled or broiled.

Remember to chew chew chew. Measure your portion (4-6 ounces) and eat only until you feel your pouch tighten. Remember, only 15 minutes per meal, so you'll have to work fast to chew your food completely. By now you should be out of any carb cycle you were in and perhaps you have lost a pound or two. You will have new confidence in your pouch and your ability to work the tool for your health and emotional well being.

Don't go hungry! Remember, you can eat as often as you want as long as it is solid protein, consumed without liquids and measured in 4-6 ounce portions.

Recipes

Easy Lemon Chicken by Beth Omicioli "BuffyCT"

Page 114 - Neighborhood Cookbook

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts, halved

1/2 cup white wine

cooking spray

1 whole lemon, juiced

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

2 tablespoons flour

1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning

lemon slices for garnish

Directions:

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan. Add wine, lemon jice and lemon pepper and cook over medium high heat until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm under foil. Add butter and flour to juices in pan and cook on high 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Serve chicken with sauce. Garnish with lemon slices. Enjoy!

Serves four. Per serving: 150 calories, 14 grams protein, 7 grams fat and 3 grams carbohydrate.

Italian Stuffed Chicken by Andie Jamari

Page 121 - Neighborhood Cookbook

Ingredients:

1 medium chicken breast, boneless, skinless

1/4 cup Italian Salad Dressing, fat free

1/2 cup bread crumbs, Italian style

2 pieces mozzarella string cheese, low fat

olive oil flavored cooking spray

Directions:

Flatten chicken breast and dip into Italian salad dressing, coating thoroughly. Dredge chicken in breadcrumbs. Roll the chicken breast around one or two pieces of string cheese. Place in an ovenproof casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Drizzle olive oil over the top of the chicken. Bake in a preheated 350F degree oven for 30-40 minutes.

Contributor's Note: You can vary this recipe according to your own taste. Marinate the chicken for about an hour if you want a spicier Italian taste. Or add a slice of ham before rolling up the chicken. Add some basil pesto or red pepper spread. Or change the type of cheese. Make it your own persona creation.

A serving, 1/2 of the breast, is 416 calories, 38 grams protein, 11 grams carbohydrate and 23 grams fat.

Florentine Steak by Kaye Bailey

Page 116 - Neighborhood Cookbook

I like to use T-Bone steak for this recipe but any thick-cut of beef will work nicely. Plan ahead as the marinating time is quite long. One large (16-ounce) steak serves four.

Ingredients:

1 large T-bone steak (16-ounces or larger)

8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

4-5 fresh rosemary sprigs

3 garlic cloves, crushed

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Place the steak in a shallow dish. Mix together the olive oil, rosemary and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the steak, cover and let stand in the refrigerator to marinate for 24-48 hours turning occasionally.

Remove steak from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking.

Heat grill or broiler until it is very hot. Grill the meat to taste turning to cook the steak evenly on both sides. Remove from grill and allow to rest 6-10 minutes. Drizzle steak with a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Slice steak crosswise in thin strips to serve.

A 3-ounce serving of beef T-bone steak has 161 calories, 22 grams protein, 7.4 grams fat and no sugar or carbohydrate.

Parmesan Baked Fish, Recipe of the Week

Ingredients:

4 each: 4-ounce fresh or frozen skinless salmon or other firm fish fillets, 3/4 to 1" thick

1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise or salad dressing

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives or sliced green onion

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

Thaw fish, if frozen. In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, chives and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Place fish in a greased 2-quart square or rectangular baking dish. Tuck under any thin edges. Spread mayonnaise mixture evenly over fish.

Bake, uncovered, in 450-degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Nutrition: 302 calories. 22 grams fat (4 grams saturated). 25 grams protein, 0 carbs.

This mayonnaise-Parmesan topping is great on baked chicken too! Bake boneless-skinless chicken pieces 25 minutes, remove from oven and spread with mayonnaise mixture, return to oven to bake 15-minutes longer. Delicious!

again all of this is off of the website :)

I'm actually gonna try this out! I have been stuck yo-yoing the past 1-2lbs for weeks now I hope this really works!:unsure:

I was reading that you should do it when you hit a platue (?) and it can be done after every fill I read as well...

Gonna start tomorrow any suggestions on liquid diets...havent done one in a while dont wanna get bored with it....

I want to start it tooo!! How often can you do it????????

Got this off the web site...

How often should I do the 5 Day Pouch Test?

The 5 Day Pouch Test should be done if you are feeling out of control with your eating, if you have fallen into a slider-carb eating pattern, if you are at a weight loss plateau or have gained weight. It can also be done simply for cleansing and appreciating our weight loss surgery tool. Many patients have successfully done the five day pouch test and followed the five days by repeating Days 4 and 5 over and over. Other patients have elected to include extra days of liquids in their plan. It is perfectly OK to adjust the plan to your specific needs. Patients who do not desire the liquid phase have reported success by doing 3 days of Day 3 followed by Days 4 and 5.

Keep us informed of your progress. Have fun and good luck with those pesty 1-2 pounds.