Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What foods get stuck in your band?

I was banded July 30th and had 2 fills so far. First time I had 3cc's and second time I had 2cc's. After my first fill, I felt no different, always hungry and food never got stuck. Now that I have had a second fill, I notice that food gets stuck on occasion.

I noticed that some foods seems to stick more that others and wondering if you can tell me what gets stuck in your band?

For me, string cheese and meats gets mildly stuck (Unsticks after a minute or two). Grits on the other hand....gets terribly stuck. I had a good 30 minutes of pain and slime this morning....no more grits for me.

I would like to know what sticks in your bands so I can avoid and how many CC's are in your band?

One tiny piece of sesame seed bagel!

That was my 2nd (yesterday) episode of pb

(1st one was 3 weeks ago with raw carrots)

1st one was caused by ignorance.Now i know i cant eat solid food before 2,3 am

2nd one was caused by stupidity.I dont even eat bread, but my bf bought it and i tasted it without remembering that it was 10 pm.

Both times i suffered in the bathroom's floor for half an hour.

Oh well.. still learning :)

Edited by DIRKT32

I had difficulty with bread and eggs right from the beginning. I eventually eliminated them from my diet. I was getting fills every 2-3 weeks and at some point was overfilled...and stayed that way...for several months and would get stuck on just about anything good for me...salads, Protein, vegies. After getting 2.5cc taken out I could eat anything.

Now a month after getting 1cc put back in, I can still eat anything, but have to make sure to take small bites and chew thoroughly. It takes me 20-30 minutes to eat my meal.

It depends. Scrambled eggs don't tend to be my friend, but I don't think they really get stuck--they're just not comfortable.

Anything eaten off the bone (ribs, etc) are problems because it's too easy to take too large of a bite or not chew carefully.

But these are user-error things, really.

When I've gotten stuck, it's usually been because I am tight for another reason, and haven't paid close enough attention. I don't really have any foods I avoid because of getting-stuck issues.

OTOH, I also eat a low-carb diet, so I haven't even attempted stuff like bread or Pasta. (I do very occasionally have sushi, and the rice is not a problem for me.)

I was banded on 7/30/10 and have not yet had a stuck episode or pb/sliming however Iv only had one fill so far. The only thing that goes down "heavy" is raw vegetables...I figured if I have hardly any restriction and these bother me a little than there is no way Im doing it after another fill! Other than that I can eat anything with no problem.

I was wondering about sushi - that you BestyB. Most of the things I have been stuck on are my own fault. I didn't take a small enough bit or chew well enough. I've only have real restriction for 3 weeks now. I have been stuck on chicken, english muffin, a mushroom, and a bit of bran muffin.

bread is not my friend,I havent been able to eat a sandwich bagel or pbj since banding in April.. Yet i can eat dark toast and crackers, go figure. The rest of the time if I have stuck or "slightly" stuck episodes it is because I have eaten to fast or have not chewed thoroughly.

I've gotten stuck on lots of things - it can frustrating at times when, on your second bite, you're foaming at the mouth and unable to continue eating...errr.

chicken is my favorite and after my second fill I can't seem to eat it. I've tried many ways of preparing it without any real success. Steak can go don pretty easy which I though was strange. I eat shrimp and fish perfectly fine. I can eat nuts and on occassion a few bites of Pasta, but my diet consists mostly of Proteins and fats - very low carb.

I myself am sick of getting stuck and pb'ing so for the past week I've been sticking to my basic lapband rules and really being aware of how and what I'm eating.

Pork (not ham though) is a no-no for me. very doughy bread is bad. I just had a slight unfill last week and was able to get down a toasted sandwich thin today. I have had an upset stomach (bug, not band) for 2 days and I just "knew" the bread would be ok, even though since my May fill I gave up all bread as it was getting stuck. eggs suddenly are no longer working for me.

I would like to know what sticks in your bands so I can avoid and how many CC's are in your band?

You can't avoid everything that other Bandsters have trouble with. All you can do is be aware of the most common types of food we might have trouble with (meat, bread...) and try tiny bites to see what works for you. My stomach is very sensitive, so you might not have trouble with the foods I get stuck on.

The only thing really that I will have problems with is meat if i dont take a very small bite and chew very well. But I also havent tried bread. Was told it was a big no no unless it was toasted bread. I suffered that pain of being stuck once and it is awful, so I make sure I chew like there is no tmrw....I dont wanna feel that feeling again..:puke:

I have not had any problems with stuck foods yet (4 1/2 weeks after being banded). I just had my first fill (1cc) three days ago and still no problems. I really, really, chew my food.< /p>

P.S. When something gets stuck, do you pretty much feel it right away?

P.S. When something gets stuck, do you pretty much feel it right away?

oh yeah...you know it...it feels like you are having a heart attack!! It is very painful...

The worst stuck I got is when I mistakenly thought I could eat a toasted bagel with cream cheese- OMG the pain was horrific. I also got stuck on a Tomato skin and chicken breast- but I blame that on not chewing enough. These episodes occurred when I had 7cc in a 14cc band- but as others said you cannot judge by what other experiences are- fills vary so much on this board and what foods are ok for some are not for others- for instance I had no problem with eggs