Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sometimes I don't think I will ever get this right!

Had my Dr. appointment yesterday. I lost a pound since the last visit (5 weeks). It was very busy as they had to fit all the afternoon patients in in the morning because the PA wasn't going to be able to do the pm appointment. Well I talked to the PA in training, and she seemed nice enough but still asked questions that were really odd to me--like if my hypertension was better---umm yup I am fat, but no I don't have hypertension and never had, if anything my BP runs on the low side.:thumbup:

Next she asked where I thought I was ...yelllow, green or red. I said yellow as I am always hungry and am eating off of a salad plate rather than a saucer. Shared that I get hungry between meals and that I am getting all my protien in. I asked about Hair loss since it is coming out in thick gobs when I wash my hair, She told me that I wasn't really losing that much hair, it was just my imagination...seriously, you can see my scalp:sad:.

When she asked about exercise I shared that I walked 2 days per week in the summer plus I go to the gym 3 times per week and do 40 minutes of cardio and about a half hour of free weights. I added that since the weather had turned rather cruddy for walking I had added an extra day of cardio. She told me that the exercise I am doing will only help me to maintain my weight and not to lose any. WTH, I didn't do much of anything before being banded.

Next she told me to cut out snacking before bed...again WTH, I never eat after dinner even if I am hungry. I explained all of this and felt like she thought I was lying about what I eat and how much I exercise since there was only a 1 pound loss:mad2:.

Next comes in the reg PA. She said add Biotin to help with the hair loss and double check to be certain I am getting my 80 grams of protien. Said to keep exercising and add extra gym time if the walking outdoors wont work due to weather. She says lets go with a bigger fill this time, I think you need it. This sounds all good. She however decides to let PA in training do the fill...she missed the port, ok so try again, misses the port but thinks she can root around with the needle to get it in. Now I am saying ouch and have tears streaming down my face:crying:. Reg PA takes a look... umm she is off by an inch and a half, remove needle and reg PA does the fill. It is all good, but I am still hurting 24 hours later. Reg PA tells PA in training that sometimes belly fat and scar tissue can be tricky and make you think it is the port---ok may be true, but my port sticks out and you can feel it pretty easily. Plus hey I 'm right here in the room and do not need to feel like her error is my fault for being fat, heck I am here becasue I am fat!:thumbup:

So, now I am being extra careful to do the sequence of food progression so I don't get any stuck episodes to casue extra swelling. I bought the biotin and started taking those, but I still feel like she really thought I was laying around eating twinkies. BTW inches are still melting off rapidly and I had to go out and get all mnew pants for work.

Oh well at least my students are seeing a difference..."Wow, Mrs. M, you lost a TON of weight" and I'm thinking thanks, could you call my PA in training!:tt2:

Your post made me chuckle! I was being questioned by an MA the other day and she was like do you have diabetes? what do you take for blood pressure? cholesterol?- I looked at her thinking - hey just because I am fat doesn't mean I have all of these things- In fact I have none of them.. grrrr

Way to hand in there. It reminds me of a PA(with my PCP) that asked me if I eat off of my daughters plate when she is done. That mad me so mad! Besides, have you ever seen the end result of a 2y/o eating. I barely want to touch HER let alone anything on her plate! Maybe next time you go the PA will have been trained to be "fat friendly". Good job on your weight loss and continued hard work!

ya know, I keep a food log on The Daily Plate on LIVESTRONG.COM - Calorie Counter, Weight Loss, food Calorie Counter, Nutrition Facts | LIVESTRONG.COM and before every appt, I export it to excel and print out the previous 7 to 10 days food journal.

I do have to edit it a bit as it provides extremely detailed info, and I don't want to use a whole ream of paper..LOL.. but I find that this information helps my nurses see that I am compliant with band guidelines 95% of the time.

I too get the "has your ____insert obesity related problem here____ improved" ROFL.. I ask them if they have read my chart. Which amazes me that they don't read charts. I was taught to read patients charts. Times change I guess.. I dunno, I'm no longer in the nursing field.

The new PA will only get better if someone says something. Maybe you could call or write a letter explaining that you understand everyone goes through a learning period but some of her comments seemed insensitive. If you have her again and things haven't improved definitely say something - you are paying too much to be treated poorly.

this is why I feel so blessed that i see my doctor and my nutrionist every 4 weeks.....im sorry today wasn't the greatest! hang in there. my doc said sometimes it takes time for our bodies to get what we're doing to it. keep up the good work and all the rule following!

You are all the best! :biggrin:

Next time I will print off the last 10 days or so of my food/exercise journal that way I don't have to go away feeling bad.

In my mind I think I've looked at the bigger picture so I am not that alarmed by the loss of only one pound--I figured there would be a real plateau sometime. Sure I'd like it to be 10, but I'll be perfectly happy if I meet my Christmas goal of Onederland. It's only 19 more pounds so I'm sure I can do it.