Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You ever got food stuck in the passage way?

That's a big fear I have.

I've heard about food getting stuck & then having to rush to the hospital to get it out.

& wouldn't this also effect your breathing?

I've never been able to make myself puke, so if I got something stuck, I fear how to get it out. :smile2:

That's a big fear I have.

I've heard about food getting stuck & then having to rush to the hospital to get it out.

& wouldn't this also effect your breathing?

I've never been able to make myself puke, so if I got something stuck, I fear how to get it out. :smile2:

I had my first stuck episode about a week ago and it felt like it was in the airway but since I could breath I knew it wasnt...I think it just feels that way.

I had my first stuck episode about a week ago and it felt like it was in the airway but since I could breath I knew it wasnt...I think it just feels that way.

How long ago were you banded?

& what did you do to get un-stuck?

My mother in law was banded over 3 years ago and has had a stuck episode several times, basically from breads or Pasta, sometimes meat. She can either drink Water and it will pass or go to the bathroom and cough it up. She has always been able to breathe.

My mother in law was banded over 3 years ago and has had a stuck episode several times, basically from breads or Pasta, sometimes meat. She can either drink Water and it will pass or go to the bathroom and cough it up. She has always been able to breathe.

I've never been able to make myself puke & so I worry a bit about what I would do if water dont wash it down.

With my paranoia I'll probably never have an issue. LOL!

I just know at 1st its hard to remember to Chew Chew chew & then chew some more.

Growing up my grand ma always gave me a hard time about not chewing my food enough & I always rolled my eyes at her. :smile2:

How long ago were you banded?

& what did you do to get un-stuck?

I was banded on Aug 26 almost 5 weeks ago...I had to go to the bath room (since i was at a restaurant) and was waiting to PB it up or throw up when I just burped and it went down. I know that I took too big of a bite and didnt chew well that's why I got stuck.

I was banded on Aug 26 almost 5 weeks ago...I had to go to the bath room (since i was at a restaurant) and was waiting to PB it up or throw up when I just burped and it went down. I know that I took too big of a bite and didnt chew well that's why I got stuck.

What is PB it up?

& thats another one of those things I've never learned to do is make myself burp. :smile2:

What is PB it up?

& thats another one of those things I've never learned to do is make myself burp. :smile2:

A PB is what is known as a "productive burp" when you burp and food comes back up. it's not the same a vomiting cuz your not heaving just burping.

I've never been able to make myself puke & so I worry a bit about what I would do if Water dont wash it down.

With my paranoia I'll probably never have an issue. LOL!

I just know at 1st its hard to remember to Chew Chew chew & then chew some more.

Growing up my grand ma always gave me a hard time about not chewing my food enough & I always rolled my eyes at her. :smile2:

LOL You don't have to worry about "making yourself puke." If you ever do get truly stuck it will come up on it's own. Fun stuff!

"Stuck" episodes occur when food has dfficulty passing through the stoma (hole) between the upper pouch and the stomach below.

Breathing is not affected. And normally, no medical intervention is needed, though some things (like chewing gum, which many doctors do not permit for this very reason) are particularly stubborn and may require endoscopy to remove. It's never really a huge emergency---except that you'll want it over and done with ASAP because being stuck hurts.

Most foods eventually break down enough to pass through---or come up the other way. (Gum is a particular problem because it doesn't break down, and tends to conform to the shape of the stoma...really obstructing it.) Some people chew papaya enzyme tablets (available at pharmacies and health food stores) to help break down whatever is stuck; I find that if I'm stuck, putting anything else in my stomach just increases my pain.

It's uncomfortable, and something to avoid whenever possible, but it does happen to most of us every now and then. And it's not the end of the world.

I had my first stuck episode before I even started on solids again--one of my pain pills got stuck. No fun, but no biggie. Now I take capsules or gelcaps (they dissolve before passing through the stoma) or liquid meds.

Food-wise, the only difficulties I have have been purely 'user error' issues--eating too fast, not cutting small enough pieces (I am almost guaranteed to get stuck if I eat ANYTHING off the bone--like ribs or chicken. I really need to eat with a knife and fork), not chewing thoroughly. All things that you learn to do with practice, so that the episodes become fewer and farther between.

Oh--except after fills. Then, the swelling can make things more prone to sticking, so I've learned to ease back into solids much more slowly than my doctor requires. It just works better for me to give it a few more days of soft stuff....I don't irritate the stoma further, and then things are a-okay.

Bob - I don't think you have too much to worry about with getting something stuck that you have to go to the E/R. If you take small bites, then you shouldn't have any problem with the obstruction of your airway, just stuck going down into your lower stomach.

I've had very very few stuck episodes...the last Memorial Day weekend. All "operator" error. Do you best to concentrate on taking small bites, chewing thoroughly, and keep your body hydrated. I can't guarantee you will never have a stuck episode, but being mindful of what you are eating and taking your time, listening to your body cues help tremendously.

I have had 5 fills now and have been learning a lot the past 2 weeks about getting "stuck", pb-ing & sliming. They are all very unpleasant experiences to say the least. I have never been unable to breathe, just in a lot of pain & agony. All of my episodes have been my own fault, either eating things to fast or things I was warned would become an issue (scrambled eggs, overcooked meat, bread, lettuce).

Don't worry about not being able to "vomit" a stuck item because trust me, it'll come back up on it's own! I have always been one that has to be deathly ill to vomit so I was concerned I wouldn't be able to if something got stuck but have learned sometimes a good cough will reproduce the obstruction without a problem.

bob- my #1 fear was getting stuck and it didn't happen until 2 1/2 months out... it is painful because it is literally stuck, sitting in your esophagus but it passes. it either has to go down or come up. i knew it wasn't going to go down anytime soon because my pouch was full so i leaned over the sink and opened my mouth. the saliva kicks in and i spit a few times and then up it came with no assistance by me. i HATE throwing up so i was glad i didn't have to do much. it isn't the best feeling in the world but it shouldn't be too concerning either. you'll be able to breathe and just the mindset of knowing you'll be uncomfortable for a few minutes will get you through it!