Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think Drew Carey had WLS????

Well time will tell.

The first surgeon I chose , Dr. George Fielding said that if you see a person lose a good amount of weight and they keep it off most likely they have had WLS.

Of course, not every WLS patient keeps their weight off but they have a better chance than someone who loses "on their own" with the help of a personal trainer a chef and Whatever else.

I definately think Oprah would do great with the lapband! I know several celebrities have been spokesmen/women of Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers but I always suspect lapband if they are able to keep it off. I know some people are able to keep off the weight without wls but most people are not able to do that.

Just to clarify, I am not judging any celebrity for keeping it a secret but I wish they would be more vocal about it so more people would understand that lapband IS NOT your "typical" wls. It's so much safer and better!!! :smile2:

I think Jennifer Hudson did, she looks great!

I thought she was doing Weight Watchers bc of the commericals she's in!

Because WLS is so out there now. I think from now on anytime somebody loses a significant amount of weight people are going to suspect they had WLS.

She's in her 20's. When I was in my 20's I could lose weight in a flash and look dramatically different too.

I believe that she did do WW but if I find out otherwise I would not be surprised.

Why not? I wish I had known about lap band years ago. I would have done it back then and it would have saved me years of hurt, embarassment, self loathing and low self-esteem.

So I say more power to all of them.

Dee

she is doing weight watchers, BUT my thoughts were she's combined the lapband with weight watchers to maximize her results. I dont have footage so I may not be right...its just my opinion. Like someone else said time will tell!

Unless Sharon Osborne had a revision of some sort I remember her clearly saying that she had GB not LAP-BAND®.
She was banded (there is lots of documentation of this), and was rumored to have planned to have it removed because she was concerned it was playing into her previous bulimia issues. Last I read, she was unfilled, but still had the band in place.

Edited by BetsyB

The statistics I read say that only 5% of people who loose large amounts of weight keep if off permanently. Regarding Drew Cary it will really be an issue of seeing in 1-2 years whether he keeps the weight off. When I turned 30 I started a major diet/exercise program and lost probably 150 pounds. I had two women ask me as I walked down the hall (worked in an office building) if I had stomach stapling (this was circa 2000). I think Jennifer Hudson lost weight via WW; perhaps I am naive to take her word for that. I also don't know if Kelly Osborne would have had a surgery that ended up being a bad choice for her mother (She is relatively young and I think living through her mothers' problems would make her leary.)

I had a former manager (VP) level who was very vocal about having WLS (though I don't know which one she had, personally would not have asked her). In our first group meeting she announced it to us. I found that kind of odd becuase we would never have known and personally did'nt really see why we needed to know. Keep in mind that I work in HR and HIPPA is a huge issue for us.

Not to lump everyone together but there are certainly celebrities who maintain their weight via drugs (like cocaine). Ever notice how some people once they are no longer on the TV or in the movies start gaining a lot of weight even though they are relatively young? Makes me wonder if they just can't afford their drug of choice.

I think Drew Carey did because in an interview he said I just chose not to be fat anymore. To me saying choice is how I felt choosing to get the band. Its not trying anymore its I am choosing to change my relationship with food forever because weight loss has to happen.

Another celeb who "stopped drinking and started eating right" and has had an astounding loss is John Goodman.

He looks so much healthier---and while I suspect bariatric surgery helped him achieve his loss, I guess the important thing is that he is so much healthier.

He was headed to an early grave, for sure.

It is great to see that even movie stars need help like us. Whether they have band or GB, I believe they feel like us that they needed help with this huge weight problem we all have. I do, however, see that the ones that GB have gained some if not all weight back and it makes me feel better that we have the band and can have it adjusted to keep better control. Just my thoughts on the subject. I love my band!!

I have wondered that about both Oprah and Kirstie Alley.... why they have not opted for WLS, when they both have struggled so much and so publicly with rollercoaster weight loss.

I know the choice was very difficult for me, and it is not something I would have considered in my 20s, but as I got older I realized that the constant yo-yo had to STOP, and I obviously was ready for something other than the hell of constant diet and deprivation. It was not the only choice, and not an easy one, but one I do not regret making.

I have wondered that about both Oprah and Kirstie Alley.... why they have not opted for WLS, when they both have struggled so much and so publicly with rollercoaster weight loss.

I think the reason they haven't done anything surgical is becasue they are both HUGE food junkies. No pun intended. :(

If they had surgery, they'd be restricted on what they can eat, and I just don't think either one of them cares that much about giving up what they love to eat. In any amount.

Dave

I agree that Oprah and Kirstie Alley would probably benefit from WLS seeing how much those 2 yo-yo diet...

Jennifer Hudson I wondered about, but I really do think she did WW and had a trainer working her butt off. Think that's why she's so prominent in the commercials; first celebrity I remember seeing in them. Drew Carey and John Goodman I think both did it the old fashioned way; from what I've heard people who are heavy drinkers normally lose a lot of weight when they finally stop (beer drinkers, anyway), and if you read about Drew's diet it was so severe I'm surprised he's not thinner. Hopefully they can both keep off their weight...

Im sure part of Jennifer Huduns weight loss was all the stress she went through with the loss of her family. It looks like Drew Cary had something done.

I agree that kelly osbourne did! Im aware that Jennifer Hudson is a spokesperson for WW, Im just speaking from intution. Either way they look great

There are a couple of British celebs as well.

Fern Britton - there was quite a scandal when she got outed as she had been in numerous magazines promoting diets/ryvita and other things.

Vanessa Feltz has just had hers done.

There was some other person that I read about in a magazine but I can't remember her name.