Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Massachusetts

Hello Everyone!

I'm on my way to getting banded and being on the losing side.:P I completed my survey/paperwork, was approved for the Bariatric Program at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, MA. 12/6 I had my fasting blood labs and met with my nurse Melissa who explained the program, took my BP, and did an EKG, went over my bariatric packet and gave me a check list of all the things I needed to get done before I could meet a surgeon. I then met with the Medical Director, Dr. Hatchigian (Dr. H) who explained the different procedures, good, bad, risks, healing time etc and gave me a physical and went over my medical history. He also answered all my questions and encouraged me to call if I had any more after I left. He told me I needed to have an ultrasound to check for gallstones. On my way out from my appointment I stopped and spoke with the receptionist again and booked my appointments. Wahooo I was able to get most done this same week. They had a 2pm appointment with the Nutritionist that day so instead of driving the hour home we stayed. The nutrionist explained all the different ways to get Protein, showed us examples and provided a nice packet to read. She also encouraged me to call with any questions. I was also able to make an appointment for my ultrasound and to meet with the psychologist. 12/7 I had my ultrasound done. It took a while to do....happens when you have extra weight UGH..they checked my gallbladder, kidneys and liver. 12/8 I met with Ronna Casper M.Ed., LCSW...she was nice. Quite the questionnaire you have to complete for that visit. Next I have to attend two different group information nights..one at BIDMC and one at a local hospital near me would be good per Ronna. I'll be attending one at BIDMC this week. So far so good....BIDMC seems to be a great place and they are very professional and friendly. Dr. H says I may be able to have my lap-band surgery in January...now wouldn't that be a great thing! I'll finally be able to keep a New Year's resolution hahaha. Not sure what else I'm suppose to put here...hmm...I'm 41, Married July 2, 2005 to John and I have one son Greg who is 15.6. Thankfully they are behind me 100%

Good luck and Best wishes to all of you!

SherryW:

welcome...BIDMC is the program I used. It is great! I was banded on Nov. 30th...i am feeling great abd had little to no pain. feel free to email me if you have any questions about the program.

welcome!

Welcome, from western ma. You are joining a great group for information and support (I know they were there for me) I was banded on the 8th of December. Its worth every hoop you need to go through

seasons greeting to you and yours

Hi from Southbridge MA! I too had my surgery at BIDMC in August. I am doing ok- 42 down from pre-op visits and have had no problems. Got my 2nd fill Dec 1st and definitely am noticing a change in what I can and can't tolerate. I just love the team over there- especially Dr. Schneider. He is wonderful! Good luck to you!

Hello to you from the South Shore!! I was going to go through the BIDMC for my band but I chose to go somewhere closer to me instead (Norwood Hospital). I am not banded yet but all I have left is my psych eval on Friday and then the doc thinks that I can get surgery in January.

I am new here, but I can already tell you that this place is a WEALTH of information!!! It really makes me feel empowered to learn everything I need to know prior to being banded.

:) ~ Michelle

Welcome from the other side of the US, I have a cousin in Billerica! Im in Seattle, the other end of interstate 90. You have found a great place to get support and reassurance. Best wishes!

Welcome to the band wagon. I was also banded at BIDMC by Dr. Jones. Which doctor did you choose? The program there is great - lots of support and follow up care and all instructions in writing so that you always know whats going on in terms of your diet. If you have any questions feel free to email me. Good luck!

Finally got an appointment with a surgeon. waaahoooo. Going to meet with Dr. Jones on Jan 4th. Hopefully things will go well and I'll be able to schedule a january date for surgery. It would be awesome to finally keep a New Years Resolution :)