Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It is a learning process to figure out what works for you.

I take adult Centrum chewable vits. daily.

I can not eat eggs at all, so if you can I think it is a good sign that you will be able to mix up your diet a bit.

Try the canned chicken usually found near the canned tuna at the store. It doesn't get stuck so bad. I add it to things like Soup. Try some chili. It works well for many bandsters. It is very much a texture thing for me. I do try to keep my Protein up because I lost so much hair, but some days it is not realistic to get in as much as many try to insist on.

fine. if someone wants to waste half their daily caloric intake on something that "makes them feel full" but has very little nutritional value. that is there perogative. but if you put your daily intake in a public forum asking for advice, don't get defensive when people give it to you. and i don't know why people seem so "offended" by a high Protein low carb diet and need to some how dis it as having something to do with dr. Atkins when in fact it is what my surgeon and my nutritionist recommend and it has worked for me fabulously. as for chicken getting stuck, try ground chicken or ground turkey. it'll never get stuck, especially if you chew it properly (which you should anyway). but then again, if you want to waste 460 calories a day on two baked potatoes, go ahead. its no skin off my nose.

Edited by jasonweinberg

Y'all are so funny.

I will say I agree with the mixing it up philosphy. I think you need some structure such as saying for lunch you'll have 1 serving of Protein, 1 serving of veggies, and 1 serving of carbs but I would vary the protein/veggies/carbs from day to day simply because different foods have different nutrients in them and if you're doing a cookie cutter food plan day to day you might be missing something.

I do take a flintstones Vitamin most (cough) days of the week.

I'm not a big fan of the "my way is the only way" philosphy. I think there are a variety of ways to maintain a healthy weight in a healthy way. Yes a baked potato is mostly carbohydrates. It has a little Protein and (if you put the right toppings on) almost no fat. They are very high in Vitamin C, B6, potassium, choline, manganese, folate, niacin...the list goes on. Oh, and a ton of Fiber which cuts down your colon cancer rates AND is proven to help maintain a healthy weight, go figure.

Different docs have different diet instructions. Different countries have hugely different diet recommendations. The US bariatric community is HUGE on protein but Aussie and UK not so much. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, just different, and different is not necessarily bad.

I wish you all well on your weight loss journies. As long as you're doing it in a healthy manner I don't care how you do it, just be healthy about it.

Yea, I think some doctor's focus on Protein because it keeps you full longer as well as other benefits. But, I am not big on eating a lot of protein but it wouldn't hurt to try. Anyways, I noticed when you put certain foods on your plate together it seems to boost your weight loss. I got that from the Michael Thurman 6 week body maker over diet. I try to have egg whites with oatmeal for Breakfast (protein + carb) and then for lunch protein+carb+veggie= chicken breast, sweet potato, cabbage. It seems to work for me when I follow this ( I have a hard time following this for too long). Oh, yea drink at least 80oz of Water a day too.

They are very high in Vitamin C, B6, potassium, choline, manganese, folate, niacin...the list goes on. Oh, and a ton of Fiber which cuts down your colon cancer rates AND is proven to help maintain a healthy weight, go figure.

calling them "very high" in those nutrients and having a "ton of fiber" is a stretch. baked potatoes have those things, yes, but you can get them in much higher amounts with much fewer calories and carbs in many other foods. in my opinion, high carb high calorie foods bring very little to the table, so why the hell eat them? i value every calorie i consume and want to get a return on everyone of them i ingest. seems prudent to me.

Yes a baked potato is mostly carbohydrates. It has a little Protein and (if you put the right toppings on) almost no fat. They are very high in Vitamin C, B6, potassium, choline, manganese, folate, niacin...the list goes on. Oh, and a ton of Fiber

I apologize for any misinformation I may have provided by the above quote. A baked potato provides many nutrients. These include: Protein 7.5 grams, Vitamin C 29 mg or 48% of the recommended daily value, B6 1 mg or 46 % of recommended daily value, potassium 1600 mg or 46% recommended daily value, magnesium 84 mg or 21%, folate 84 mg or 21%, niacin 4.2 mg or 21%, manganese 1 mg or 33%, choline 44.2 mg (no recommended daily value to date but is believed to help prevent your liver from accumulating fat and help in maintaining healthy brain cells in adults), and fiber 7 grams, not a ton but 26% of the recommended daily value. There are many more but you get the picture.

A baked potato, with the right toppings, is not evil, it is not the highest protein food choice in the world, nor is it the lowest. I was simply trying to help the original poster not feel like crap about his food choices after reading some of these replies...Eat the freaking potato or don't eat the freaking potato.

I luv potatoes so I'm gonna eat some he he....

obviously we are looking up baked potato nutrition in different places because where i am looking it up show 4 g Protein (which is actually more than i thought), 24% Vitamin c and fiber 3 g. i am not calling them evil and for someone eating 2-300 calries a day eating one (or two) is no big deal. but if you are on 1000 or less calories per day eating two of them seems pretty silly.

i too probably over-reacted a little when the focus of some of us on making at least 60 g of Protein a day (which really is not a high amount for someone on a low calorie regimen) was belittled to some extent, but really, does anyone really think the diet listed provides adequate protein?

Jason, I just want to lose weight. Period. Something that makes me feel full reduces my need to consume more. As for the fancy "nutritional value" - well I think a lot of that is overrated. As long as I lose weight, I'll get healthier, regardless of whether I skip a few Vitamins or not. My weight is a greater health risk than my Vitamin intake. Goodness knows I've had a lifetime's worth of Protein in my life! LOL!

Now: if you're saying that a high Protein diet **will help my weight loss** - then I'm interested. I'm interested in anything that helps me lose weight, but not bothered about nutrients as such. As Shurmeka said, protein could keep me fully for longer - this is what I'm interested in, not the nutrients.

I just did a quick search for the satiety index. This is a list that has been scientifically developed which shows which foods keep you full the longest. The higher number foods keep you full longer than the lower numbers. Obviously when it comes to nutrition and science it seems to change from one day to the next so there are probably studies out there which prove something different.

Satiety Index

The foods with the highest satiety rating (by far) are potatoes.The second most satisfying food is oatmeal.

Jason and others, this is what I was recommended to eat. Yes it mentions low-fat Proteins, but does not emphasize them. This is from a leaflet from my consultant and is what is recommended in the UK.

Successful eating with a band, divided into Green (eat freely every day), Amber (eat with cautions, eg weekends only) and Red (avoid or eat only for treats). They said Green foods should be 85% of the total. Amber foods: 10% (just 2-3 times a week). Red foods: 5% (try to avoid). Also keep the band active every 4 hours with a Cereal bar, banana or piece of fruit.< /p>

GREEN

* Low-fat Protein

--Chicken/lean meat

--Fish

--Quorn (artificial vegetarian meat)

* Low glycaemic index GL/GI foods

--Basmati or wholemeal rice

--Baby new potatoes, jacket potatoes, sweet potatoes

--Porridge (but not instant porridge)

--Pumpernickel or wholemeal pitta bread

--Rye bread

--Beans, pulses and lentils

--Wholemeal Pasta

* Fruit in natural form

--Citrus fruits

--Apples

--Pears

--Bananas

* Fresh vegetables, except squashes, avocadoes and parships

* Airdried homemade popcorn without butter or sugar

* Low-fat Cereal bars if used as an alternative to Breakfast

* Dark chocolate (minimum 70% solids) with no sweet filling

AMBER

* Higher sugar fruits

--Berries (a portion is 12, or 6 strawberries)

--Melon/watermelon

--Mango, papaya, cherries, grapes

* Soft foods and ready meals that can be eaten with just a fork

--Mashed potato

--Shepherd's pie, cottage pie, fish pie

--Creamy pastas

--Haggis

* Crispy foods

--Multiple crackers

--Biscuits [=Cookies in American English]

--Crisps [=potato chips in American English] (Snack-a-jack ricecakes are better)

--Packet popcorn

--Cheesy biscuits

* High sugar vegetables

--Squashes

--Parsnips

* Sugary or nutty cereals

--Muesli or children's cereals

--Crunchy nuts

--Anything with sugar, frosty or honey in the title

RED

* Fatty Proteins and fatty vegetables

--Nuts, seeds, avocados

--cheese [if necessary have the Low-low brand of low-fat cheese]

* Modified fruits

--Juices (including home-made, organic and no added sugar juices)

--Smoothes (including home-made etc)

--Tinned and dried fruits, jams

* Sugars (including natural)

--Honey

--Sugar

--Milk/white chocolate

--Toffee

--Hot chocolate and coffee shop "Christmas special drinks"

* liquids (Soups if replacing a meal)

--Slimfast shakes or equivalent

--Alcohol

--Fizzy drink

--Milk as a stand alone drink (lattes, Cappuccino, hot chocolate), although OK to add to tea/coffee

* Fats

--Creamy Pasta sauces

--Oils, including olive oil, Mayonnaise, butter

--Pannacotta, creme brulee, pecan pie

--High fat gourmet ice creams

--Cheese spread

I think you need more Protein............haha just kidding. This horse has been beaten.

I do want to mention that doctors say no carbs because carbs can make you more hungry and hungry faster then Protein and most really naughty junk foods are high in carbs and low in nutrients. If you give an inch to an obese addicted overeater they will take a mile and skew things how they see fit.

Baked potatos are fine but maybe have one with some turkey meatloaf instead of 2! Everyone is acting like you said 2 bags of potato chips.

It is important to focus on eating now for nutrition and less for pleasure now. Think about what you are putting in your body and make sure you are eating the right things to stay healthy, not get anemia, and keep your hair. Protein has a tendedncy to be high in Iron and good so you keep your hair and don't get hungry quickly.

The whole point is MODERATION!! and be mindful of how your body is getting nutrients.

I am so bummed Haggis is in the stay away from catagory. It has always been my favorite......hehehe

I'd be a bit concerned about Dark chocolate being a green food. I know its supposedly good for you but i still don't think you should be able to eat this freely! i think they need to revise that.

What works best for me is eating something from all food groups. My dietician actually recommends that you should have protein/carb and fruit or veg at each meal if you can. Breakfast can be hard but the others it isn't generally a problem.

Foods tend to be more satisfying when eaten together rather than seperately anyway. Curry and rice rather than curry then rice. Eating Proteins with carbs lowers the GI load of the carb food. Eating carbs with Proteins helps to satisfy you longer than eating proteins on their own often for less calories. An egg on toast is more satisfying than multiple eggs or eggs with added cheese/bacon etc.

The most important thing is to find out what works for you.

I know one thing for sure we are all going to be experts on the NV of baked potatos!!! LMBO!!!!! All the research is making me have flashbacks from my Research Methodologies course!!! :thumbup: