Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbonation!!!!!!!!!!!

So anyone and everyone,,,,,,,

Please back up; with scientific data about soda (aka carbonation) in the pouch.

Or for me my "Chauncy" cause.....I've heard everything from sneezing to "carbonation" to asprin can ruin your pouch????????

WTF? Come on,,,, Please give me links with the right info, so I can understand this!

Not trying to start WW3, but gheez, my scientific side just doesn't get it.

Peace Out

Kelly:rolleyes:

P.S. Oh yeah, what about sneezing? Which I do daily!!!!

Edited by kellyodoran

On the carbonation I was told the carbonation can expand your pouch. That said- I have 3 banded friends and they all drink sodas still and one of them even drinks them through a straw.

Personally though I'm too scared to try it although I had a dream that I was in Wal Mart hunting through their Coke cooler to find me a cold Dr Pepper. I had open and boom I woke up. sigh.

I don't have a scientific answer for you but from a nursing point of view, we tell our C-Section pts not to drink carbonation or to drink from a straw due to the fact that the fizz and extra air they drink could (and usually does) cause bloating, gas and extreme pain. Now, that being said some people can handle it.

I googled it and here is what the LapBand site had to say

Lap-Band Diet Restrictions

All you can do is try and find out for yourself. Because I have a strong feeling you are gonna get both sides of the story.

I would imagine that doctors and manufacturers have a reason for their reccomendations. I understand that the carbonation can expand the pouch and I put my trust in the medical professionals and follow their reccomendations. Do what you feel like doing though. I plan to follow the plan my doctor has set out for me and not be a renegade. It is not exactally like rebelling against civil injustices in the world. It is soda. No biggie to stop drinking it in my book. With or withoit scientific proof.

My surgeon said that expanding our pouch would take months, possibly years, of abuse...and you'd be in pain during that abuse. He said carbonation is less likely to cause expansion than stuffing yourself with food continuously.

I love carbonation and when I really really crave it, I'll drink Faygo carbonated Water (grapefruit). I've found I have to sip slowly because if I take a huge gulp like I would've pre-band, the pain is incredible and I usually end up standing over the sink and letting it all foam back up and out. Not an event I want to repeat on a regular basis...and yes, it was the most painful thing I've experienced to date with this band.

Also not something I'd like to have in public because the reaction is almost instantaneous.

Kelly my Dr says proof over the aspirin thing was having his patient from another country take it for a sore knee without my Drs permission , which quickly caused a bleeding ulcer and he needed a blood transfusion because he almost bled out. My Dr is super specific about pain meds. He also said carbonation stretches the pouch and in his words "why do you want your pouch stretched after going through a surgery to keep it small" that changed my train of thought .

~Jennifer

You are in DENILE ! about your addiction to carbonated beverages. You must accept the best advice to help you be a sucess........................ Just get over it

You are in DENILE ! about your addiction to carbonated beverages. You must accept the best advice to help you be a sucess........................ Just get over it

I don't drink soda pop! I really have never cared for the fizzy stuff. But I just wanted to hear everyones opinion on it.

And maybe some hot summer day, having an ice cold beer...that's about it.

I haven't had soda since March. I haven't missed it much at all until I got strep throat this week. I miss having 7-Up when I am sick! So....sugar-free kool-aid for me right now!

I think, just like everything else with the band, it is different for everyone. My nutritionist that I see at my surgeon's office told me that I could have diet Coke, but not until 6 weeks after surgery. And even then, she told me some people can tolerate it, some people can't. Sometimes I get very frustrated on this site, because everyone is different. Some people tolerate stuff other people cannot. This site is not the end all, be all of the lap band. Try it, if it doesn't work for you, don't drink it anymore. As far as the sneezing, I have never heard that. I figure, the people who make the band know that we are human and that we are going to do things like sneeze, and make the band (and surgeons insert the band) accordingly.

yea, i wondered about this one too. I accidently sipped out of my husband cup instead of mine and had a sip of dr. pepper. I truly thought i was going to die because of an expanded stomach from that ONE sip. Needless to say, all the talk of a potential expansion scared me enough to think one sip would do me in.

i've avoided soda it all together. Avoidance is a bit harder for me since i'm allergic to crystal light, sugar free kool aids, and those wylers things so it doesn't leave me many beverage options :unsure: Water and tea get OLD! Before, Water and tea were great because i could still have that occassional diet soda, yea not so much anymore!

But it's o.k., it's allll for the good of my body, i'll put on my girl panties and deal with it!

I completely understand this question...it's not about whether or not to "break rules", you just want to know the "whys" to why we can or can not do something.

I'm the same way, and I get VERY frustrated with the huge differences between what doctor's opinions are on band issues. Like straws...my doc says no straws, but I've read on here where some doctors are telling their patients TO drink through straws.

So I'm with you, I'd LOVE to hear from bariatric docs on both sides of the most controversial issues with the band.

In the meantime, I've given up my addiction to diet soda, NOT because I was told I had to but because this is a journey for me to become healthier and I didn't feel that the diet soda addiction constituted a healthier lifestyle.

However, I have had beer occassionally with no side effects. Maybe a little more burping than usual but that's all. :unsure:

I was told no carbonation ever. I tried some of my husband's Dr. Pepper. Oh my gosh. It hurt so bad, and it was even partially flat! But...I've had a mimosa at a debutante luncheon, and I was fine. And I had 2 glasses of Cristal champagne at a celebration dinner, and it was fine too! But other than those times, I haven't had any carbonation.

I was on a cruise a couple of weeks ago and I got sea sick. I ended up filling a cup with ice and ginger ale. I let the ice melt and Water down the soda. It really helped settle my stomach and I didn't have any bad reactions. I called my doctor's office when I got home and they said what I did was fine.

I drink Soda and beer without any problems what-so-ever. My Hospital group in the UK say it is fine and the only thing I have to worry about is the calories in the beer. They have outcomes that equal the best 5 star hospitals in the USA and publish their results annually.

I got banded a year ago today !!!! I have lost 120lbs and feel like I have died and been reborn. I am a completly different person. I still eat and drink everything I did before my operation but just in smaller quantities now. I will have a can of diet coke a day, and a few beers with the guys after work once a week. I used to drink beer each day. I suppose I may be lucky and drinking soda may hurt some bandsters but this myth about stretching the band is just that in my opinion..... A myth.

Edited by john47