Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrating and Venting

Hi all,

New here with posting, but have been lurking now for a while. I was banded Sept.3rd and dropped 12 pounds quickly in about 5 days out which was nice to see. I'm still in my 2 week clear liquid/1 Protein Drink a day phase and as of about 4 days ago, I started to feel the actual hunger pains....stomach growling...the works. I've been staying good and have been trying to just sip an ounce of my Protein Drink everytime my stomach grumbles...but that sure is hard! Anyway, I've noticed about 4 days ago, that I've started gaining some weight. It's been about a pound a day and it's eating away at the 12 pound loss which is frustrating and sad to see. I see everyone here with such great losses the first week or so with an expected slow down after and although I know that this is meant to be a slow process, I'm worried about the gain! I haven't even started mushy food yet!!! I'm afraid I'll gain even more next week when I start those...ugh...

Anyone else going through the same thing...or have had it happen with good results later?

Everyone's body and metabolism is different. The biggest favor you can do yourself is stop comparing your losses with others. Your doctor probably already told you (or should have) to stop worrying about losing weight right now because your body is healing.

Optimum weight loss for most people is on a 1200 calorie diet. Below that and your body starts to get more efficient at burning calories and weight loss slows. You may be below that amount since you're so soon postop.

Might as well get used to it because most people, until they get restriction are up and down on the scales. Even after restriction, if you aren't watchful about what you put in your mouth...meaning calories and not quantity since a milkshake isn't much but it's close to a day's calories...you still won't lose weight...or worse will gain.

Be patient. You've taken the first step. The rest will follow.

My doctor didn't say anything about not worrying about this healing period, but you're right. I probably need to just step away from the scale for a while. I'm DEFINITELY below 1200 calories right now with it just being Clear liquids and a Protein drink, I'm only at about 300-350 calories a day right now at the most. Now that I think about it, it was about 4 days ago that I started walking every day for about 30 minutes as well with that same caloric intake, so I'm probably in starvation mode and not getting anywhere near as many calories as I need lol.

That is probably what I need to do...is chuck my scale out the window and go back outside to get it in a month or two lol

Thanks!

Hi all,

New here with posting, but have been lurking now for a while. I was banded Sept.3rd and dropped 12 pounds quickly in about 5 days out which was nice to see. I'm still in my 2 week clear liquid/1 Protein drink a day phase and as of about 4 days ago, I started to feel the actual hunger pains....stomach growling...the works. I've been staying good and have been trying to just sip an ounce of my Protein drink everytime my stomach grumbles...but that sure is hard! Anyway, I've noticed about 4 days ago, that I've started gaining some weight. It's been about a pound a day and it's eating away at the 12 pound loss which is frustrating and sad to see. I see everyone here with such great losses the first week or so with an expected slow down after and although I know that this is meant to be a slow process, I'm worried about the gain! I haven't even started mushy food yet!!! I'm afraid I'll gain even more next week when I start those...ugh...

Anyone else going through the same thing...or have had it happen with good results later?

My suggestion is to stop weighing yourself everyday.Concentrate on "listening to your body",instead of watching the scale. You body is healing, & is adjusting to a new intake.After surgery you tend to "pee like a racehorse" from the iv fluids& the liquids we drink,so we lose Water weight. When you start on your mushies & regular food the real weight will start to come off.

Also don't forget to Celebrate the fact that you have lost a lot of weight so far. Besides the scale can fluctuate depending on many factors. Dropping 12 pounds in five days is a lot so your body is probably trying to adjust from the Fluid loss. I agree throw the scale away or you'll go crazy.

I only lost a total of 15 lbs my first month! Hang in there! Also keep walking!

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I definitely was peeing like a racehorse from all the IV fluid..that's for sure! It's also great to hear from folks that lost it slow to begin with but are still very close if not right there at goal!