Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sooo upset and disappointed at setback

I am so upset to find out late today that my surgery might have to be pushed back! I had an EGD yesterday. Good news since I am self pay, I do have a hiatal hernia and cost goes from $12900 to $5500, since insurance will now cover the hernia repair. Bad news since I was snoring after my procedure, my doctor now wants a sleep study. My surgery is supposed go be next Thursday. They are supposed to be ordering a stat split-study, whatever that is. The sleep study place is supposed to call me Monday, I just don't see how it could be done in time for me to have surgery Thursday. I was so mentally prepared and now I am so upset and disappointed!! I just want to cry...not to mention the fact that I have been working so hard on my pre-op diet and have gone from 197 to 188.8 in one week! (I am only 5'1") thanks for letting me vent!

Sorry to hear about the setback.. hopefully they will be able to schedule your sleep test ASAP

I know it's disappointing but is it possible with co-morbidites your insurance may cover the surgery in total? sleep apnea is considered a life threatening co-morbidity and is accepted by most insurances for WLS.

My surgery is scheduled the 21st and may be pushed back a few weeks for additional testing for deep vein thrombosis and as frustrating as that is, I'd rather go into surgery knowing my doctor and anesthesiologist has all of the information they need to keep me safe and alive.

Hang in there, everything will work out as it should. And in the end we will both get our band and be healthier for it. =)

a stat-split study simply means you spend half the night without a cpap and half with. and the previous commenter is right sleep apnea might help convince the insurance to pay because treating for sleep apnea adds up. my weight loss has helped my sleep apnea tremendously. i'm kind of surprised tour surgeon didn't request a sleep study in the first place but maybe it was because you were self-pay...

I have sleep apnea and am on CPAP. I felt so much more alert and energetic after getting treatment. It's worth the time delay. And as the other posters said, you may now qualify under insurance for the WLS! BTW, if you do have to go on CPAP, there's a great forum at CPAPTalk.com.

I am so upset to find out late today that my surgery might have to be pushed back! I had an EGD yesterday. Good news since I am self pay, I do have a hiatal hernia and cost goes from $12900 to $5500, since insurance will now cover the hernia repair. Bad news since I was snoring after my procedure, my doctor now wants a sleep study. My surgery is supposed go be next Thursday. They are supposed to be ordering a stat split-study, whatever that is. The sleep study place is supposed to call me Monday, I just don't see how it could be done in time for me to have surgery Thursday. I was so mentally prepared and now I am so upset and disappointed!! I just want to cry...not to mention the fact that I have been working so hard on my pre-op diet and have gone from 197 to 188.8 in one week! (I am only 5'1") thanks for letting me vent!

I agree with the other posters....I was told it would cost me btween 5 to 8 thousand dollars out of pocket..but after ins. reviewed my case , my total out of pocket is only $150.00.One of my co-morbidites is sleep apnea. I use a CPAP is it has really made a big difference in how I fell.. It is possible to get it done and still keep your surgery date. If it does get changed it will be for your own safety...Good Luck to you and God Bless

I agree that it is for your own safety. I know you are disappointed, but this is a serious surgery, and they needyou to be in the best of health to avoid any issues later on. You are doing this to make your life better, not put it in danger. Please keep us posted and let know waht happens!

Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I so appreciate the support. Those of you who have sleep apnea, did you have symptoms?? I think that is why I am so frustrated about the sleep study pushing back my surgery is I feel I don't have any sleeping issues. I sleep great, no daytime sleepy issues, I don't nap, nor do I feel like I need to. I understand it is in my best interest, I know everyone understands my anxiousness! Also, another question, with the preop diet I have almost dropped below a 35 BMI, will they use my starting weight or since I am self pay does it even matter at this point? I have lost almost 10 pounds on the pre op diet thus far. Thanks again so much for the support, it really helps and helps to read everyone else's posts about surgery and their journey!:(

IIt's upsetting but good that the hernia was found. Much better to be in good health when the surgery happens. Stay the course. Remember at least you have the mindset to accomplish your goals. Don't allow this setback to get the best of you. Stay strong.

Thanks Susan, I really appreciate it! I am so focused on the goal, I have wanted this for a long time. I am glad I finally decided it was time, I am ready - no regrets! I just have to keep reminding myself that it WILL happen, this week or next - I will get there!! Thanks so much!

With my sleep apnea I was very symptomatic...My mom however thought their was no way she had sleep apnea and during her sleep study she had over 100 episodes of apnea. After she started on the CPAP machine she realized how tired she really was. She had been tired for so long her body was just used to it. This may be your case too. She was also sent for a sleep study because she had a snoring issue with some minor out patient surgery. Keep your chin up and your eye on the prize..

Well, I had my sleep study. I was totally shocked to find out I DO have sleep apnea. I was truly shocked! If I had not I would have had surgery today but since I have have to have cpap I have to go back to the sleep study place for titration?? So surgery should be next Thursday. I'm ok with it, I just wanted to get going so bad! But, I realized by losing 11 pounds so far on the pre op diet, I have begun my journey!