Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shake that I LIKE :)

Hey wonderful people :thumbup: I am to be banded on 09/10/10. I have a lower BMI of 40 so my doc said I didn't need to go on a liquid diet...but for the next 3 days I am putting myself on one to make sure my liver is small and my mind is ready. :(

I have been trying SPIRU-TEIN shakes and they are delicious. I mix with 4 oz Water and 4 oz non fat milk. Anyone else try these? Any other yummy reccomendations?

The first 4 weeks post op are what scares me the most. This is probably what other fellow food addicts have the most anxiety about. Any thoughts? Inspirations? Should I be prepared to starve (not literally OF COURSE) and be super duper freaking maniac like hungry?

Loves!

HW/CW/GW

255/242/145

5'6"

I think I have been lucky in that I am not hungry unless I have gone a long time (like 5-6 hours without eating). I am am hungry in the mornings after I wake up which I never was before. I had been on a pretty stricked diet for months prior to the surgery so I may not be the best example. My doctor did not put me on a surgery diet because I was doing my own: 2 Protein Shakes with one meal a day. I was a bit judgemental of people that went out for a real meal before their surgery. My mother came to stay with me and we went to lunch the day before surgery. I chose a place known for fancy bread and garlic/grated cheese/olive oil dipping sauce (since many people say they can't have bread post op); but we shared a side salad and lunch portion meal. So in reality I did not eat a whole lot. I'm kind of glad that I did because while I'm not terribly hungry my doctor is pretty conservative. After surgery I was on Clear Liquids (broth) 1 week, full liquids (tomato, Soup, yoghurt) 2 weeks, soft foods (cottage cheese, egg whites) 1 week. Soo pretty boring. I have'nt gone of the perscribed diet and I have lost 15 pounds, 26 days post op. Keep in mind that day four I started back at the gym.

SARAHMARIE123:

You must now get ready to completely change your relationship to food. Be prepared NOT to be hungry or starve BUT instead to deal with the changes your body will require of you. From now on you must be your own judge. The hardest part is deciding how much effort you want to put into this journey you are about to embark on. Your effort will equal your accomplishments.

As for the question. Try to find things to occupy your time so you are not thinking about food. Such as walking. going out. shopping. try not to watch too much tv due to the INCREDIBLE amount of food commercials. watch movied or just come on here!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

weight.png

My favorite Protein shake is Muscle Milk chocolate. It is DELISH! I usually drink them every morning because I'm a bit tight in the AM and then eat a normal (for a bandster) lunch and dinner and usually a snack in the afternoon. (I love Kashi go lean Cereal - Fiber is good for us after all the protein!)

I would seriously try the muscle milk. It's YUMMY!!!!

I'm glad this subject came up today!! I have tried the Muscle Milk Light in chocolate, vanilla and Mocha and it is TERRIBLE to me. So I have half a case of the chocolate and I refuse to put myself through drinking it any longer. I am now using the Medifast shakes and I really like them. I have tried the strawberry, banana and Orange Creme shakes and they are great. I sometimes spice them up by adding a small banana or some frozen strawberries or blueberries. Really good. And they have some ready to drink shakes that are even better.

But I have been looking for a more convenient, cheaper alternative that I can get in bulk. And I would prefer something that I didn't have to mix with Water. I want to use either fat free milk or unsweetened almond milk. I find that the Mucsle Milks and the Atkins kind of shakes have a bad aftertaste.

I am still waiting for my approval from my Insurance carrier so I can get a date. But I've started the liquid diet just to condition myself. I'm down 19lbs already but I did slip up and have a Big Mac this weekend. But I'm back on track!!

I'd love to hear more recommendations of GOOD shakes.

And I have another question, are you allowed to have your shakes with milk post op?

Thanks everyone :thumbup: I will try those suggestions and get myself ready to start my life again~!

My favorite Protein shake is Muscle Milk chocolate. It is DELISH! I would seriously try the muscle milk. It's YUMMY!!!!

I second the Muscle Milk comment. Though I don't drink them much anymore, the Muscle Milk RTD chocolate is awesome. I did the Muscle Milk Light RTD Chocolate as well; both are good and an easy way to get some Protein in.

PS. Your new avatar shows the difference in your face, you look awesome! Congrats.

I've done the Muscle Milk light and don't care for it as much as the regular chocolate and the RTD chocolate is the best I've found. I didn't care for Atkins or any of the others (the costco ones are BLECH, too!) but the MM is good. I've had vanilla and chocolate and like both. :thumbup:

And Reverie, I'm not sure if you were talking about my new avatar but if so - thanks! :( (I just updated it this morning)

Now, to see Onederland...That's my Christmas goal.

And Reverie, I'm not sure if you were talking about my new avatar but if so - thanks! :( (I just updated it this morning)

Now, to see Onederland...That's my Christmas goal.

Yes you! What an awesome Christmas present that would be. You can do it. :thumbup: But yes, I would choose the normal MM over the light, both are doable though.

I tried Isopure today and it was not good... had to pinch my nose and chug... anyone know of a GOOD Protein Water? This one would have only worked if I cut it with juice- a lot of juice.< /p>

i personally only drink the ESN synthax Protein shake...its a powder but it is DELICIOUS!!!! they have AWSOME flavors like vanilla ICE CREAM and MOCHACHINO....try it

its a little higher in the calorie scale BUT its worth it.. ive been doing fine with it.

weight.png

Guest gen259

I dont care for the Muscle Milk or the Isopure. What works for me is kind of crazy but here it is.

1 scoop jay robb chocolate

half scoop of slim fast chocolate royale

1 cup (or 2 if you want more) skim milk

ice

The slim fast give it more of a real chocolate flavor, not the fake chocolate Protein shake flavor. It bumps up the calories from 110 to 165 but it tastes great and I stay full for 6+ hours!

I also couldn't stomach the muscle milk light... mine was french vanilla.. had a Vitamin smell and taste... CIB made me gassy but flavor wise is the best so far. Am gonna try the CIB w/ Lactaid instead this weekend.. might have a less gassy effect.

I really like the EAS AdvantEGDE low carb Protein shakes. I by them ready to drink in a 24 pack at BJ's Wholesale for about $26. :thumbup:They taste just like chocolate milk to me. My 6 year old has started having one in the morning instead of chocolate milk.

I did the medi fast shakes pre-op and thought they were ok... Swiss Mocha and banana Creme were ok...I couldn't take the Orange (and I love orange flavored stuff).

I decided not to go the whole Protein shake way...

I actually REALLY like the Slim Fast Low Carb shakes, which have 20g Protein per can..I've been having a case delivered each month from Amazon.com for a long time now. I can easily and willingly do a can a day, or even two... And no nastiness.

I also tried the Gatorade G-Series 3: Recovery drinks, each 20oz bottle has 16g protein. Not as high as the Isopure, but it tastes like liquid cherry Jello, and only has a very, very slight aftertaste... not nearly as nasty as the Isopure.

Between the Slim Fast, Gatorade and milk, yogurt, meat, cheese etc... I will easily be able to hit protein goals... for me is 63 grams. So no yucky expensive, iffy Protein Shakes or isopure!

Jinky - just curious -- have you tried Slim Fast Low Carb chocolate? Is it similar to the EAS? right now I pay $35 per case of 24 (huge savings off of per-can or per 4 pack in store)... and I think the cans are 12 oz. And how big are the EAS servings?

Edited by Alisomniac