Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help with 2 xmas gifts

For the first gift, I need ideas. For the second gift, I need help w/ creative ways to give the gift. Info below:

Gift #1: DH has a friend who is a volunteer firefighter. He is many other things as well, but this is the one that really ignites a spark in him. We thought something related to that venture would be a great gift, but aren't sure what to give. Any ideas?

Gift #2: DH and I bought my parents a huge widescreen TV for xmas. They live 1.5 hrs away, and we will have the "gathering" at our house on the 24th, which is when my family does their gift exchange. Afterwards, we will have to drive the TV to their house in DH's truck b/c there's no way in hell it's fitting into their SUV. I like to give gifts in creative ways, but this TV is over 6 feet across so it's REALLY limiting what we can do. Here are some thoughts we've had or that others have suggested:

1. We could cut the front piece of cardboard from the box into puzzle pieces and wrap them up like gifts. As my parents open a "gift" and get another puzzle piece, the picture of what they're real gift is slowly forms. Problem with this is that since we're transporting the TV 1.5 hrs in a truck, we want to keep all oringal packaging intact.

2. We could set up a scavenger hunt that will lead my parents to the TV, which is in our basement. Problem = my mother is having surgery on her foot December 22 and will not be able to walk around much, let alone do the stairs needed to get to the basement (and there's no where else the TV would fit)

3. We could take a picture of the TV and wrap it in a box, in a box, in a box, etc. Problem = no real problem, just kind of dull, but a possibility.

4. We could remove the remote control and wrap it. Problem = that requires opening the box, which we don't want to do.

5. We could try and get them out of the house during the day of the 24th (would be hard w/ mom's surgery) and set the TV up, so that when they come home they're surprised by it. Problem = there are two possible locations for this TV. If I ask questions to find out where they want it, they'll know what's up - they're uncanny that way. If we guess wrong, it means having to disconnect everything and move a pretty heavy/bulky TV up or down 2 flights of stairs. No thanks!

6. We could cover the TV box with a larger box and wrap it, or find a huge gift bag, and just leave it by the tree. Problem = anything bigger and we absolutely won't have room for it. Leave it how it is and cover it = once they see the shape of the box, they'll know what it is. Like I said, they're uncanny that way. One look & they know what something is.

I'm sure there are come creative geniuses out there -- any ideas?

They make those diecast collectible models of vehicles. You could get one of a fire engine, and have it put in a nice display case maybe with his name and the date he started firefighting engraved on the placard.

Here are some others...

http://michaelgarman.com/shop/firefighters

http://thefirestore.com/?OVRAW=gifts%20for%20firefighters&OVKEY=fire%20fighter%20gift&OVMTC=standard

http://www.chicagofirestore.com/

http://www.ourdesigns.com/

http://firefighters.collectiblestoday.com/ct/store/firefighters/store_fire_front.jsp?fr=FP-tab-web-t-296&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8&cm_ven=Search&cm_cat=Inktomi&cm_pla=TFG&cm_ite=Firefighter+Shop&ovchn=INK&ovcpn=SiteMatch&ovcrn=Firefighter+Shop&ovtac=PI&refer=http://search.yahoo.com/search

Now, about the TV... See if you can find the cheapest, most beat-up TV ever (Maybe from trash or a garage sale). The uglier the better. Put it, and a couple pairs of cheap binoculars in a box. When they unwrap it, show them that with the binoculars, they have the new big screen TV they always wanted!

Then direct them to the real box in another room.

Those are my thoughts.

You could take a digital pic of the box, enlarge it to whatever size you can accomodate at your local Kinkos/SaveOn/Walmart whathaveyou, mount it onto cardboard and then cut it into the jigsaw puzzle idea.

Now, about the TV... See if you can find the cheapest, most beat-up TV ever (Maybe from trash or a garage sale). The uglier the better. Put it, and a couple pairs of cheap binoculars in a box. When they unwrap it, show them that with the binoculars, they have the new big screen TV they always wanted!

Paul - that is sheer genius!!

That's the exact kind-of idea my Dad would have come up with. :D

Geez, I miss him... :)

Instead of a true scavanger hunt, make them read and solve clues to figure out what it is. Or make a video of someone in the family unwrapping the box and jumping up and down all excited about getting a new tv, but then explain that they were only doing the "work" of unwrapping it for grandma and grandpa. Wrap the video and have them unwrap that and watch it? This is a hard one to surprise people with.

For the firefighter, maybe a build-a-bear in a firefighter suit? We have a firend that recieved a very old fire hose nozzel as a gift and he really treasures it. Check Ebay? ~Mandy

That does help - all these suggestions do, thanks!

We ended up buying the firefighter one of the heat/massagers that you put in your chair. He's always talking about how it's hard for him to relax, so we figure'd that would help.