Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 days Post Op bruising and pain

Hi Everyone

I had my sugery on July 27th so Im about 11 days post op. My bruising is just awful! All around my belly button(this is where my incision is) is a very very dark blue, almost even black. The bruising just seems to be so deep. Also, my incision still really stings. Im certainly aware of it when I turn and extend my arms. I have a single incision thats in my belly button. Has anyone else had bruising, and still had incision pain, this bad 11 days after their procedure? Any replies would sure be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello

I've said it before and here it is again...it is called 'Key-hole Surgery' little hole, big key....check out the vids on YouTube, they put so many things in through your belly button and then drag them around to do what they are doing in there that masses of bruising all the way through and around the incision are inevitable.

The wound is small but it goes all the way through every layer of you to your stomach on the inside. All those layers have to heal and it is not a 5 minute job. Every time you move it will slow the healing process and strain the incision.

I had 5 incisions and the one they did most work through was painful for a good couple of weeks, the others were good after a week.

I hope you feel better soon

So sorry to have bothered you. Im new, here, and had not seen any of your prior posts on single incision surgery.

I owe you an apology :-) I did not mean to make you feel un-welcome or as if you were asking daft questions. Your question is/are very valid...I was 'tongue in cheek' when I posted the first line...I've said it before etc.

I just meant that I have mentioned that it may be a little key-hole but a very big, long key the put into it...I was very sore too and I should think with SIL that all of the pain is concentrated around one incision not spread around over 5.

The whole idea of them doing it through my poor belly button makes me wince and cringe. I think you must be very brave to have had it done that way :-)

I also thought afterwards that I should have added that if you have any concerns you should contact your surgeons office and have a word, just to allay your fears or let them know that you are a little uncertain and uncomfortable.

Once again, I apologise for using my 'talking in person to someone who knows me well' tone in the post and I assure you that no offence was meant. Please continue to post :-)

TTFN :-)

Thanks for your reply. I never really thought about how much work had to be done in such a small area. That makes good sense that the bruising would be more intense. I just dont see how this bruising could be normal 2 weeks post op. My surgeon is out of town but I will get into him as soon as he returns. Ive really had no pain at all until the past couple of days. Now, ive just got stinging at the incision site. Thats whaat made me think an infection could be developing. HAs anyone, here, had any problems with infection post surgery? Im sure everything is fine. Its just over reaction on my part.

I was banded July 14th and went in for my one week check up to my surgeon saying you may have infection we will put you on antibiotics and see what happens I may have to take your band out. At my two week check up he said well it looks like its a hematoma (bruise). We'll schedule your first fill aug. 19th and see how it looks then. Well its been another week and 3 days and if you were to look at my incisions right now even though they look tons better you would think they look infected. They have red rings around them and now they are itching. To me it looks like they have a rash around them. So Ive been putting cortizone cream on them to stop them from itching. By the way all five of my incisions are between my breast and my belly button. So hang in there..it may take you as long as me to heal.

I was banded on July 26 and I have two incisions, a small one below my left breast and the big belly button one. The small one still has a little bruise but is all healed, no pain. My belly button is still bruised and slightly painful to the touch - my incision is also still healing. I don't however hurt when I put my arms above my head. I hurt when I stand after sitting for a long time. But you only had one incision which means EVERYTHING went in through that - camera, band, instruments. I would say it sounds normal.

Thanks Molly for the reply. How severe is your bruising? I would have to say my bruising is about 4-6'', in diameter, around my belly biutton and it is a DEEP purple almost black in color. Is that pretty much what you are experiencing?

Mine was dark in the beginning - now it is light purple and only MY right side of my belly button, looking down. I asked the nurse about why it hurts to touch there, even where I can't see the bruise, and he said it was totally normal -that they put the instruments in there and pushed down on them alot. Do you bruise easily?

Are you taking your Vitamins? With sufficient Vitamin C? Have you tried putting an ice pack on it for a day to see if it gets better?

I was banded on July 30th and still pretty banged up myself. I have several bruises all over my arms (from shots and IV's) and several on my tummy. Let me ask you this. Did they give you blood thinnner shots in the tummy? I got several after surgery (every few hours) and that seems to be the area of my largest bruises.

I was banded on July 30th and still pretty banged up myself. I have several bruises all over my arms (from shots and IV's) and several on my tummy. Let me ask you this. Did they give you blood thinnner shots in the tummy? I got several after surgery (every few hours) and that seems to be the area of my largest bruises.

The shots you got in your tummy (Heparin) are known to cause serious bruising. I got mine in my upper arm, underneath. I had 5 HUGE spectacular bruises for about a week from them. Its totally normal :party: