Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last minute jitters?

My surgery date is coming fast it seems. I have been getting lots of flack from some of my firends and others that are telling me that I don't need surgery. Admittedly, I am on the low side of the BMI chart, I still have had weight issues my entire life. My insurance approved me with no issue, so I am pretty well convinced that this is a sound decision.

I recently went to a personal trainer who has had experience with bariatric surgery patients, and he offered me some diet plan rather than getting the surgery. I was pretty ticked about it, but i think he was just trying to give me other options. He is willing to train me after the surgery so we will see how it goes.

I am just concerned of a band slippage, or not being able to work out because of lack of energy. He was telling me that he has a patient that undewent gastric, and he can only last about 30 minutes max. I currently workout about an hour - 4 days a week. I would like to maintain that schedule after surgery.

Does anyone have any experiences with working out and being able to maintain a fit physique? That was something else that the trainer expressed to me, that being restricted by calories will make it hard for me to have muscle. I think it is a crock of $hit to tell you the truth, but what do I know? He is supposed to be the licensed professional.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by RaeZur

I'm gong to be banded on Aug. 24 and I have some anxiety every now and then. I have chosen not to tell anyone but my husband and one co-worker. I don't want to be scruitinized by everyone watching how many bites I take or the food that I'm eating. I don't want to be asked how much weight have I lost and so on.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a couple of friends that are like "I don't know why you are getting surgery anyway." That type of attitude just makes me mad, why not just support my decision and move on. I wish that I hadn't told some folks now, but I figure they won't be in my life much longer if they can't be supportive friends. Thanks for your input.

Personally I would ditch the trainer. Do you have any evidence that they actually trained someone with WLS surgery? I am a corporate recruiter and people lie on resumes and to your face ALL the time:mad:. Sad but true. Also did he train Bypass or Lap band patients? Bypass people have to deal with a lot of Vitamins issues. It could be that person was not getting enough vitamins and minerals. If you are getting the correct nuitrian you can't exercise.

I am starting to think that I might honk. I have the P90X program and I think I should just try some stuff on my own first. I was pretty pissed that he was trying to sell me on some diet program that he and his g/f were on. Seemed like some AMWAY crap anyway. It's amazing what people will tell you to your face isn't it?

I have so much more energy since I lost my weight, and as you can see by my ticker I was low BMI. I could barely walk a block when I was banded now I am doing a cross training program. This morning I did 150 sit ups, 150 push ups, 150 squats and 150 tuck jumps plus riding my bike a mile to the park and back. I do eat extra on the day before I work out so I have enough energy but "extra" is 1200 calories, which is not hard to do.

Look at active.com they have some free training schedules and lots of information. I personally think you need to be a skilled athlete to get the full benefit of a trainer, I might be ready for one in 6-9 months, however, you might be ready for one now.

Plus, as far as selling the diet goes, never ask a car salesman which car you should buy.

Oh and tell your "friends" who don't support you to kiss off, my husband doesn't like the band but he told me "You can have surgery to have your arms removed if you want and I would still stand behind you" That is the kind of friends I need. (And I speak from experience I did tell my so called 10 year long, best friend to kiss off)

I exercise 6 days a week. Actually not until i really started exercising did I get good results with the band. Exercise and the results keep me in check. Surgery is your choice, but I can tell you...I was at a lower BMI when I started. i actually purposely gained weight so i could qualify. It was one of the best decsions of my life. No more starting the new year with "this year I am going to lose weight".

Yes, I do lose more weight when I eat more calories. I get this in with protien shakes. Trust me your trainer is crazy. You wouldnt beleive how many people come up to me at the gym everyday and say YOU LOOK AWESOME! I do cardio and weights and have lot of definition....so its up to you. To struglle or not to struggle!

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. I feel better about my decision more and more when I hear success stories like yours. I have a lot of people that are ignorant that want to tell me that I am going to extremes here with the surgery. I too had to gain about 10lbs to make sure that I met the BMI requirement for my insurance to cover. (I probably didn't need to gain but 5 really, but I threw an extra 5 in there for good measure). However, I have not ever in my life been able to maintain a loss. I think people just think I am lazy for getting the surgery, when really I am probably one of the most determined individuals I that know. I have lost and gained my entire life and am ready for something to be more permament, I think the Lap-band will be my life-long aid. I am comfortable with the decision and have decided to dump this trainer. I can do this! I know I can!

Thanks again everyone!

I am opn the lower end of the BMI also. My doc said I could get in the pool at ten days post-op. Begin light exercise, gentle biking, at one week, and deep abdominal, such as Pilate's and Yoga, at 4 weeks as well as regular cardio workouts.

I was banded Monday and feel great! Surround yourself with positive folks and thoughts. We are only limited by our own beliefs.

Rock and Roll girl, you got the goods! You made it this far for a reason:thumbup:

So glad you asked these questions. As you can see there are a lot of us who are now in the best shapes of our lives. I am 4 years out. I work out 6 -7 days/wk. I also heard similar comments from friends, trainers and even a bariatric MD. Getting my band was the best decision I ever made for my health and self-esteem. My story is a lot like yours. If you interested you might find something of use on my blog (in my signature below). Good luck.

I probably can't add much more to this than everyone else has but as I have posted before, I am not telling outside of my immediate family for the same reason. I did that ten years ago and had a lot of negative comments and no real support. I realize it was out of their own fear and concern for me but it was enough to scare me off for ten years.

Now I am finally going ahead with it. Maybe I will tell in the future? Probably. But for now I am 100% confident that not telling is what works for me.

I have a very supportive husband and my grown daughter is the best. My high school son is a little more fearful but basically reacts to my own take on it so as long as I am positive, so is he.

I have a lower BMI too and was told by the nurse who did my EKG that I didn't look like I needed WLS. Once I expressed my own feelings about swollen ankles, knee pain and lack of energy she admitted to me she had had a RNY twenty years ago and had less than 100 pounds to lose. She gave me a big smile and told me that I was making a terrific decision and that for her it had changed her life and she knew it would for me too.

I'm so ready for this, TEN YEARS READY, and I can hardly wait for 8/11! Hang in there and surround yourself with the positive support you know you have out there!

My surgery date is coming fast it seems. I have been getting lots of flack from some of my firends and others that are telling me that I don't need surgery. Admittedly, I am on the low side of the BMI chart, I still have had weight issues my entire life. My insurance approved me with no issue, so I am pretty well convinced that this is a sound decision.

I recently went to a personal trainer who has had experience with bariatric surgery patients, and he offered me some diet plan rather than getting the surgery. I was pretty ticked about it, but i think he was just trying to give me other options. He is willing to train me after the surgery so we will see how it goes.

I am just concerned of a band slippage, or not being able to work out because of lack of energy. He was telling me that he has a patient that undewent gastric, and he can only last about 30 minutes max. I currently workout about an hour - 4 days a week. I would like to maintain that schedule after surgery.

Does anyone have any experiences with working out and being able to maintain a fit physique? That was something else that the trainer expressed to me, that being restricted by calories will make it hard for me to have muscle. I think it is a crock of $hit to tell you the truth, but what do I know? He is supposed to be the licensed professional.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I think I smell shit!

I'm on the lower end also but I've struggled with my weight for 10 years now. I'm ready to get the Lap Band and make some permanent changes. I think you should get another trainer. The one you have is not going to be 100% supportive of you.

Thank you everyone so much! I am starting to think those that are not supporting me in this, are definitely scared about the surgery because they are misinformed. I really only have about 3 people that are totally supportive of my decision, and two of those people I haven't know for very long. The other, being my mother. I figure if my mother suports me, that is all that should matter.

Once it gets closer, it just seems like even though I have done all this research, all these what-ifs are looming overhead. What it comes down to is going to be my own experience with the band and how I go about my daily life.

The one thing that really brought into the light the complications that can occur is in my last support group. There was a girl around my age and same BMI situation that had a slippage after a year and a half. She had so many complications. And it didn't phase me at first, but it scared my and I started having bad dreams right after that meeting.

She was having a revision to a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. I started thinking that was a safer route, thinking no band slippage, but that is such a permament procedure, and I dont want to deal with the possibility of malabsorption and such.

There are many more success stories that I read about the Lap-Band than stories of complications. I came to find out later that the slippage was caused by the woman's own actions, that she started eating Pasta, bread and rice and was vomitting and didn't tell her doctor. So, ultimately, she set herself up for failure.

As my date nears, I am very nervous, because of the unknown really. I am excited about finally being in control of my weight, and not being labeled the "fat chick".

Thank you again for all of your support.

Cheers!

Edited by RaeZur

As my date nears, I am very nervous, because of the unknown really.

Cheers!

All you have to do is set yourself up for success.

Select a great surgeon that you can trust and believe in and then follow his/her pre and post op diets, work hard on learning new eating techniques that will minimize sliming and pbing, and let the chips fall where they may.

I think you have made a great start on doing well with the way you are thinking through the surgery. I think many people just think up to the surgery and don't consider what lies on the other side, you seem to be preparing for that as well.