Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so discouraged at this point. I had surgery May 28th have lost 27 pounds. I am hungry all of the time and have no restriction at all. I lost 8 pounds last month, so the dr said I didn't need a fill. I can eat however much I want to. I keep gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. It is starting to make me angry. I know that a lot of it is my own fault. I don't always eat what is healthiest, but I do most of the time. I am exercising too. I know that when I go into the dr in a couple of weeks, he is going to wonder what in the heck I have been doing. Any suggestions as to how I can get past this plateau?

OMG so you've lost 27 lbs in 2 months???? That's definitely over the 'typical' results most people say of 1-2 lbs per week (even if you say 3 lbs per week)! How wonderful for you to have lost that much weight without restriction! TOTALLY amazing!

The beginning is really tough. I didn't have my first fill for three months because I was smack dab in the middle of holidays when it came time for fill #1, so I really had a tough time with it. So I tried to eat like a bandster, but h*ll I was hungry!

Are you getting in 80 g of Protein a day? The thing that helped me get through 'bandster hell' was just eating as much Protein as I could and that gave me at least a little satiety. Even though you lost 8 lbs last month, heck that could be due to the exercise--you shouldn't have to suffer with hunger. How long are your meals lasting you? Could you perhaps add a protein-rich snack to hold you to the next meal? I am thinking the exercise might be increasing your hunger as well.

Have you gotten any fills yet or is your band empty? Sorry for all the questions--just trying to get a sense of your situation and what you could do to get the hunger under control. It is a terrible feeling!!!

I would have a talk with the doctor. Mine doesn't just gauge the need for fill by how much I've lost---I lost very well with NO restriction, but it was because I was dieting.

He knows this. So he gauges the need for fill on (a) how I feel--if I am hungry too soon after eating (and am not eating sliders), then I need a fill; (:cursing: his observations of the level of restriction on fluoroscopy; and © how well I'm losing.

IMO, a doctor who makes fill decisions solely on weight loss is missing a HUGE part of the puzzle.

I have to agree with Betsy. If we could succeed with dieting alone, we wouldn't need the band. The band is supposed to not only restrict the amount we eat, but also it is supposed to help us feel full longer. If you are getting hungry just two hours after a good Protein packed meal, then it is definitely time for a fill.

When you go for your next appointment, I'd outline exactly what you've been doing, how much you've been working out, what you've been eating, when you've been eating, etc. Let him know that your loss hasn't been because the band was working, but that YOU were working and you need the HELP of the band.

Good luck!

I would have a talk with the doctor. Mine doesn't just gauge the need for fill by how much I've lost---I lost very well with NO restriction, but it was because I was dieting.

He knows this. So he gauges the need for fill on (a) how I feel--if I am hungry too soon after eating (and am not eating sliders), then I need a fill; (:cursing: his observations of the level of restriction on fluoroscopy; and © how well I'm losing.

IMO, a doctor who makes fill decisions solely on weight loss is missing a HUGE part of the puzzle.

+1!!!! My Dr bases my fills on my needs not my accomplishments!

I'm with the last 3 posters... I would have a serious discussion with your doctor about his/her philosophy. Yes, you have to be the one do to the work and the band is just a tool, HOWEVER, it's not even a tool if it isn't providing any restriction.

It can take many fills to achieve satisfactory restriction so waiting makes no sense...

Brad

Thank you everyone for your responses. I haven't had any fills yet. I am super excited that I have lost 27 pounds in two months, just discouraged that I haven't lost anything in three weeks. I am trying to get in enough Protein. I have at least one Protein Drink per day and try to eat other things high in protein to ensure I am getting enough. My meals are lasting a couple of hours. I try to eat a healthy snack if I have one, like a light string cheese or something like that. I thought that maybe while I wasn't losing pounds, that I was losing inches. I did at first, but nothing now! Ughhh! I get full pretty fast, but can eat way more than I am supposed to. I can't eat anything near what I used to....but I don't really feel any restriction. I know that I shouldn't complain, but I feel disappointed in myself. Like I am not trying hard enough or something. As far as my doctor, he doesn't really have the best bed side manner by any means. He is VERY different. He thinks that if you are losing, you dont need a fill. When you stop losing or slow down on it, you will need a fill. Idk why he thinks that. He needs to just do what I say! Ha Ha. After all, I totally went to medical school. I know I probably should be complaining about 27 pounds in 2 months, and going down 2 pant sizes....but yet here I am....complaining. If I could see the scale go down a couple and stay down, I would feel much better.

You sound like me......I was banded June 8, I'm down 20-25 pounds and I feel like eventhough I'm eating what I'm suppose to I'm hungry. I was hungry on my first fill and although they told me to drink 24-48 hours after my first fill, I was eating like nothing had changed.

BTW - how do you get the tickerfactory put on your responses?

plus I lose and gain back the same 3-4 pounds.

Wow! I was going on the assumption you had at least one fill or something (and since mine does fills under fluoro, making that assumption as well, which I shouldn't have done). If you did have fluoro, did he physically see a restriction level on the screen that made him think you did not need to have a fill or did he strictly just go by the 8 lbs lost in the last month?

Everyone is right about the band needing to work with you and if your tool isn't working properly, it needs to be adjusted. My doctor has never asked how much weight I have lost in the past month/2 months prior to making my appointment--they just schedule it.

Signs I tell them I know I need a fill--I'm ravenous between meals, they don't last me 3 to 4 hours AND noticing that my portion sizes are getting larger. Can you try calling the doc's office and telling them about this? You certainly shouldn't be suffering like this with hunger--this should be working with you--you shouldn't have to do all the work yourself--that is the whole point of the band.

Good luck to you! I hope you can get in and get that fill!!!

Julian'sMom - He was going strictly on the weight loss. But, like I said, I haven's lost anything in three weeks. I called the office yesterday, and I have an appointment in two weeks, so I will have to wait to talk to him until then. Thanks for your posts! They really do make me feel better!

Andread73 - you can click on my ticker and it will take you to the link. They have lots of different ones!

I was banded on June 30th and I have my first fill next week. Since I got my band I have lost 15lbs (30 total from pre surgery), but I am eating way more than I'm supposed to too, I'm sure. I am always hungry but I am losing weight because when I feel hungry I start sucking down the Water. I am probably taking in too much Water, I'm constantly drinking so I feel full because I am always hungry. I hope my doc goes ahead with the fill since I have no restriction either.

check out my family blog!

The Heflin Family

I could have written your post. I had my surgery the same day and am in the same exact boat. I had a fill about two weeks ago, and I practically had to beg the doctor to do it. He said my weight loss was good. I told him that I still feel like I can eat and eat and eat...why did I have the surgery if that aspect wasn't going to change. He had me drink Water as he was doing the fill to see how much adjustment it needed, and he couldn't believe that I chugged three cups and felt nothing. It's a little bit better now...but I thought that the feeling of struggling would lessen.

You are so not alone... I was banded about a month before you and I have been gaining and losing the same 6-8 lbs for almost two months!!! I am right at 39 loss and most of that was in the post op since my doc doesn't do preop diet...

I went for my third fill today so now I have 7cc in a 14cc band. My doc is actually pleased with my loss because to him I lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks- but he doesn't realize I was just on the high end last visit LOL....

Anyhow he looks at weight loss and then asks me how much solid food I can eat in a sitting and if I have been throwing up (still haven't yet)....

I am so discouraged at this point. I had surgery May 28th have lost 27 pounds. I am hungry all of the time and have no restriction at all. I lost 8 pounds last month, so the dr said I didn't need a fill. I can eat however much I want to. I keep gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. It is starting to make me angry. I know that a lot of it is my own fault. I don't always eat what is healthiest, but I do most of the time. I am exercising too. I know that when I go into the dr in a couple of weeks, he is going to wonder what in the heck I have been doing. Any suggestions as to how I can get past this plateau?

I wish I lost 27 pounds in less than 3 months .... Just took me a year and 6 fills to lose 30. ARGGHH!!!!!!!