Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It didn't work for me

I was banded in 2007, lost some weight but the band didn't really work for me. It seemed to me when folks would post that the band did nothing for them, they would be chided for not eating right and exercising. I swear my band didn't make much difference except for causing chest pain.

Turns out I needed it removed and guess what? The only difference is that I can eat faster. I don't eat faster since I'm a slow eater but I can't feel any difference. The nurse seemed surprised and said that most people feel like they can eat a lot. I have lost 10 lbs after band removal with Weight Watchers. I am on the road to a revision - not sure which. I just want to let the strugglers know that the band doesn't work for everyone. My surgeon says that in his (large) practice that 4 out of 10 people lose a lot of weight, 2 out of 10 lose 20 to 30 lbs and the other 4 don't lose at all. Dismal. I probably would have gotten it anyway but now I am researching the crap out of the bypass - good and bad. I am talking to everyone I can find who is willing to talk.

Anyway, I guess my point is that it doesn't work for everyone. It just doesn't. Don't attack yourself, give it your honest best. Beth

Edited by MizPeppy
spelling

You're right Beth it really DOESN'T work for everyone. If you did all the right things and gave it your best shot and it gave you issues enough to have it removed, then I'm sorry to hear that.

However, good for you on trying to find something that would probably have been a better option from the beginning. I don't blame you at all though from starting small.

I would never come here and chide anyone who has really REALLY tried to make their band work and it just didn't. There is no one surgery that fits all.

Let us know how you're doing.

Hi Beth,

I am right there with you! I have only lost a total of 21 pounds in over a year. I started out well (losing about 30, but put some back with fill troubles). I have not been able to tolerate fills.

I have never been able to get to the restriction that others talk about. I can either eat a lot OR the band is so tight I cannot even keep liquids down.

My first few fills went okay -- no complications, but no restriction. I was hungry all the time and could eat most anything. Then, I was at a pretty good place with my fills -- not losing, but not gaining either. I was able to tolerate lean meats but very few veggies. About 3 weeks in this 'stage' I developed a gas bubble and became occluded and had to have an unfill.

We slowly worked my fills up, but then my allergies interfered. I had so much thick drainage that it blocked my stomach and I had to have another unfill.

I has slowly filled (.2cc's at a time) and reached a point of no losing/no gaining again. However, I am now starting a slow gain, and am afraid to get a fill.

I eat correctly, but can still get a fair amount of food down, ie... 4 -5 oz grilled chicken, 1/2 c. veggies and rice or potatoes.

I can say that at least I have been able to maintain my weight loss of 21 pounds, but I need to lose more.

For some people it just doesn't work as well -- even if we do what we are supposed to do.

wow i've found others like me i had this done 5 years ago lost 25 lbs then nothing right now i've not been able to do anything but drink thin liquids (tomato Soup makes me sick) i only had 1 fill it was 3cc and really wasn't a fill because he said it was so tight at that time (4 yrs ago) so what is going on that things get "stuck" this is the longest time i've gone without food (1 1/2 wks) looking into maybe getting it removed I also have been in hospital now with pancreatitis x2 they think it may have something to do with the band any suggestions cindy :lol:

Just an update. I have lost a total of 46 lbs. I exercise at least an hour every day and eat low carb with lots of low carb veggies. I feel great except for the fact if I drink fast I'll vomit. I don't understand why. I will talk to my surgeon again when I see him around. I realize there is scarring, so maybe that has something to do with it. I am 2 months out from band removal and losing about 2 lbs a week by myself. I'm not having a revision surgery. Good luck to all, Beth