Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how did you tell your family you were going to have the lap band?

I plan on telling my family tonight. I really do not want to but I am going to have to because my mom is the subscriber on my insurance. I don't mind my family know I just don't want them to tell other people. Anyways I was wondering how I should tell them? I am only 20 so they still think I'm required to listen to them. (I live on my own, work full time and go to school fulltime)

I plan on telling my family tonight. I really do not want to but I am going to have to because my mom is the subscriber on my insurance. I don't mind my family know I just don't want them to tell other people. Anyways I was wondering how I should tell them? I am only 20 so they still think I'm required to listen to them. (I live on my own, work full time and go to school fulltime)

I would simply say to them, "Although I really appreciate everything you do for me and I love you. I have made up my mind that I am getting the lapband procedure done. It's something that I need to do to live a healthy and productive life. I have tried all of the diets and they don't work for me. It would be great if I could have your support through this but if not I hope that somewhere down the line you can understand why I need to do this for me. Please do not try and change my mind because as I said this is something that I need to do for me in order to live longer."

By the way I admire you for getting it done at a young age. You have your entire life ahead of you. I wish you luck. And if you have already told your parents before this reaches you. Please let us know how it went.

You may be surprised at the support you get. For me, it was acually my mom who suggested I look into it. My whole family has been extremely supportive. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I just simply told them that I'd been looking into Lap-Band surgery and I have decided that's what I'm going to do... I just said it.

Of course some were a little concerned. It's normal for any surgery to be somewhat apprehensive. They also knew though that I'm going to do what I want anyway and they ultimately backe me 100%. I was very fortunate for this.

thanks for all of the great advice, i really appreciate it!

i told my mom and she was really happy for me in the sense that she thinks i would greatly benefit from having the lap band. although I really appreciate her support, she will support me in anything i do because she feels guilty. (she hasn't been much of a mom to me, my father was killed in a car accident in october and she is already dating, knowing it hurts me) anyways i do not mean to sound mean when i talk about her but she would never tell me she doesn't agree with anything i want to do..

my aunt on the other hand...my dad's sister. her and i have always been very close and she has been more of a mom to me then my mother. she is very opinionated and i am really scared of what i should say or do if she does not approve of me doing this.

i am going to get the lap band (if i am approved by my ins.) regardless of what she says. i just know without her support it will be difficult.

thanks for all of the great advice, i really appreciate it!

i told my mom and she was really happy for me in the sense that she thinks i would greatly benefit from having the LAP-BAND®. although I really appreciate her support, she will support me in anything i do because she feels guilty. (she hasn't been much of a mom to me, my father was killed in a car accident in october and she is already dating, knowing it hurts me) anyways i do not mean to sound mean when i talk about her but she would never tell me she doesn't agree with anything i want to do..

my aunt on the other hand...my dad's sister. her and i have always been very close and she has been more of a mom to me then my mother. she is very opinionated and i am really scared of what i should say or do if she does not approve of me doing this.

i am going to get the LAP-BAND® (if i am approved by my ins.) regardless of what she says. i just know without her support it will be difficult.

Glad to hear that you have some support and very sorry to hear about your dad.

As for your Aunt, I know it's easier when you have support but you have to remember that you are doing this for you, not for anyone else. Alot of times, as someone else stated, you might be suprised how much support you will get. I would also suggest a local support group if you have that available in your area, as well as here. It does help.

I called a family member and informed them that I had already had the procedure. She was very happy for me.

Now I have a lot more that I'm close to and want to tell them, but I'm not sure how. I wish there was a card I could send telling them what I've done.

It's been so secretive, that I didn't tell my mother until about a week before my scheduled date and she lives with me.

I just told my spouse, daughters and 3 of my closest friends. I chose not to tell my parents, and Im losing slow enough that know one is wondering anything...Ive only lost 36 lbs in 7 months...of course, people are starting to noice but they've seen me walking alot.

Its a personal choice on who you tell..who you feel comfortable with telling. I asked all I've told not to tell anyone..

I guess I just didnt want people to watch or treat me differently.....

Good Luck...you'll be great..no matter how you decide to let your love ones know..

poppyred