Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Motivation and type of excercise

I have just joined the lap-band program at Tufts and have started my pre-op diet. I need to loose 30lbs in 3 months before my surgury.

I can deal with eating low-fat low-cal foods, but I need to get 30min of excercise a day. Walking on the treadmill kills my formerly blown-out knee. Has anyone with the same problems tried any types of machines such as indoor bikes or rowing machines or other machines that can get in the 30min of excercise that won't kill my knee.

Any reccomendations of brands or trypes of machines would be greatly helpful as the New England winters are mighty cold and some indoor excercise at my home rather than a gym seems the best solution for me.

P.S. Just found this web site today and it's really a great place for all of us in the same boat.

OK, I'm in another country so I cant advise you about where to find stuff but I've had to be a bit creative with low impact exercise because I have a bad ankle.

I've been having a look around at www.collagevideo.com, they have a wealth of exercise DVD's and can provide some guidance. You can even view a clip of any DVD you're considering purchasing.

You can get cycling DVD's to use with an indoor bike both here and at www.spinervals.com. too. So you can do a spin type program at home if you hire or buy a spinning bike. I'd recommend this, interval training such as spinning (which is basically an aerobics program on a bike) will give you better and faster results than just hopping on and peddling away, trying to remember to keep the pace up.

I've also been using a rebounder, there's rebounder specific workouts you can get or for lower impact I've been adapting Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds series, it ups the intensity but lowers the impact.

I've also been swimming which is fantastic all over exercise, if you have a local pool and my pool runs a deep Water running class which is mega-fun! But of course you'd have to brave the cold for that, I have trouble doing that in a Melbourne winter and it never gets cold enough to snow here, doesnt go below about 9 or 10 degrees celcius as we have a really temperate climate.

Perhaps you could look at hiring or buying an elliptical machine too - and yes, you can get stuff for that too - www.cardiocoach.com!

I'm a big fan of spinning classes, and can't tell ya enough about them! My hubby has joined me, and we go together about twice a week. I like it cause there is some anonymity (sp?) involved in it - my club does it in a darkened room to some really loud, pumping music......I love it, and find I sleep like a baby when I'm done....You can adjust the tension on your own bike, making your spin as challenging as you like. Try it!

I really like the elliptical machines at my gym.

I have knee problems too (and will need them replaced at some point in my life, it's a heredity thing for me). The treadmill was OK as long as I didn't walk too fast or have too sharp an incline.

But my favorite is the elliptical - it's kind of like standing up to pedal a bicycle - a bit awkard at first, but I hang onto the stationary bars (not the moving bars) and that makes it easier.

As a bonus, I burn about 50% more calories in teh same time as when I worked out on the treadmill.

I think it would work great for your knee issues - give it a try!

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

What exactly is spinning?

Well, when I think I spinning, I think of wool and yarn, since I have a beautiful spinning wheel. I think the spinning they are talking about is an organized class with stationary bikes.

I can only use recumbant bike, regular ones make the parts I sit on fall asleep. Yikes!

Recombant bikes would be good, as would Water aerobics.

I have a bad knee, too. If it's REALLY bad, the only thing for it is to do Water exercise. If it is only moderately bad (like mine) then work on whatever machine feels best for the bulk of your time - but start working your way up on the other machines.

I find the treadmill to be the best combination of Lowest pain and lowest heartrate. I have to fight to keep my heart rate in the correct zone since I am so out of shape.

The eliptical machine is best for low pain - your feet never leave the pedals so there is no impact - and the mild pedaling motion works the muscles to either side of the knee cap - however - it is such an incredible workout that I can only stay on it for 10-20 minutes at the slowest posible speed before my little heart starts beating pretty fast.

The recumbant bike is best for low heart rate because you don't have to move your entire bulk - but the more vigorous pedaling motion is harder on the knees.

I use all three machines at my gym. I stay on the eliptical until my heartrate shoots up. After that I switch to the recumant bike to get my heartrate down until the pain in my knees is too much and then I hop on the treadmill to plod out the remainder of my 45 minutes. Slow is a requirement on all three machines.... If you are gasping like a fish out of Water then you are probably in danger of your heart exploding.

Take Care & Good Luck!