Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect from my 1st fill

Ok, so I was banded on June 30th. At first I was really scared to even drink, let alone eat..Well I started out slow, and then actually got brave and ate a little here and there...Got nauseous a few times and almost threw up, but luckily I made myself not....Well seems like I am all better, and trying to stick with my liquid diet, but I am still getting hungry. Luckily, not like I used to, but I am afraid I am not gonna lose weight if I eat. I am excited for my first fill, but then again scared that I am gonna screw this up....What is it like after your first fill? What do you eat after? Or what can you eat? Am I more susceptible to throw up?

If anyone can tell me about their experiences, I would greatly appreciate. Or give me some pointers to help me out with a making the right decisions. :)

I am excited for my first fill, but then again scared that I am gonna screw this up....What is it like after your first fill? What do you eat after? Or what can you eat? Am I more susceptible to throw up?

If anyone can tell me about their experiences, I would greatly appreciate. Or give me some pointers to help me out with a making the right decisions. :)

Hi Congrats on your new life, here are some answers but remember everyone is different.

Your first fill is a breeze, the doc talks to you finds your port and puts in the fill. Now you may get 1/2 fill like 5 cc in a 10cc band or the doc maybe more cautious and just give you 1 or 2 cc.

Most doc will tell you 24 hour liquid after the fill and then 24 mushies then back to solids. When you begin to eat normal food, be careful chew slowly because with restriction comes getting stuck.

I don't know about throw up, I have been lucky with that, I do get the stuck episodes because I forget and eat fast, well safe to say that the band reminds me to slow it down.

Relax about all of this take it one day at a time and remember the slower you loose the weight the longer it will stay off!

Good Luck

Sandee

I got my first fill last Thursday, 07/01/10. It doesnt hurt at all. They put me on the table, laid me back. He felt for the port then swabbed & cleaned the area with hibiclens. He gave me a shot numb the area then inserted the needle for the fill. He let the nurse know the measurements for where my port was located, then filled it with how ever many cc's. He then had me sit up (with the needle still inserted, didnt hurt at all) and had em drink some Water to ensure it went down with ease, it did. That was it. He pulled out the needle and put a bandaid on. The pain is less than getting a blood test, that simple. The whole thing probably took 3 minutes total from prep to finish. So, nothing to worry about.:)

I was terrified before my first fill too. I won't say it doesn't hurt at all because it does but like the previous poster says it is much easier than having blood taken.

The only part that hurts is the first needle to numb the area. It is a pinch and then a burn from the medicine. Like 5 seconds later they put the second needle in to fill you which doesn't hurt at all it is more like pressure. Sometimes they take all that they put in there out first to make sure you don't have a leak before they fill it up but that doesn't hurt either.

You get a little bandaid on the spot which is normally a little below your biggest scar. Sometimes it might be tender that day but nothing really to worry about.

If you want to know more about things to come come follow me on my blog. I am 6 months out and like to tell it like it is.

www.bandedup.blogspot.com:)

I will say it does not hurt at all. My doctor does not give me a shot to numb the area, they have a can of something that they spray the area with, it is really cold for a second and then the area goes numb. After that I don't feel a thing!