Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yay! Surgery Scheduled August 9th!! Questions...

HEY BANDSTERS! :wub: I just came back from an appointment with my surgeon and I am now scheduled to be banded on August 9th! I start my liquid diet on July 26th. I'm SO excited and yet scared at the same time. I do have some questions that slipped my mind while I was talking with my doctor, though, that maybe you can help me with (I must have been nervous because my mind went completely blank).

1. My doctor says he's extremely aggressive with therapy and wants to do the first fill two weeks post-op. I've read tons of threads and still haven't seen anyone get a fill that soon. Does that seem too soon?? I'm not saying I don't completely trust my surgeon, because I do. I'm just curious.

2. I'm nervous. Really nervous. I'm nervous about being nervous and that makes me nervous:scared2:. I'm nervous about my liquid diet, Surgery Day, the day after surgery, etc. I'm usually quite laid back and I don't worry about many things, but this has my stomach flipped inside out. Should I be this nervous? I realize it's healthy, smart, and normal to have some reservations about having major surgery, but my emotions border on cold feet (and having cold feet makes me nervous lol).

3. Surgery Day: My surgeon wants me to spend the night in the hospital. I have two questions. A) What should I bring to the hospital that day? and :eek: how did you prepare for surgery the night/week/hours before?

4. Last, but certainly not least :thumbup:, is there anyone scheduled for surgery on the same day or on that week? I'd love to hear from you!

Thank you in advance for your help!:thumbup:

HEY BANDSTERS! :frown: I just came back from an appointment with my surgeon and I am now scheduled to be banded on August 9th! I start my liquid diet on July 26th. I'm SO excited and yet scared at the same time. I do have some questions that slipped my mind while I was talking with my doctor, though, that maybe you can help me with (I must have been nervous because my mind went completely blank).

1. My doctor says he's extremely aggressive with therapy and wants to do the first fill two weeks post-op. I've read tons of threads and still haven't seen anyone get a fill that soon. Does that seem too soon?? I'm not saying I don't completely trust my surgeon, because I do. I'm just curious.

2. I'm nervous. Really nervous. I'm nervous about being nervous and that makes me nervous:scared2:. I'm nervous about my liquid diet, Surgery Day, the day after surgery, etc. I'm usually quite laid back and I don't worry about many things, but this has my stomach flipped inside out. Should I be this nervous? I realize it's healthy, smart, and normal to have some reservations about having major surgery, but my emotions border on cold feet (and having cold feet makes me nervous lol).

3. Surgery Day: My surgeon wants me to spend the night in the hospital. I have two questions. A) What should I bring to the hospital that day? and :scared2: how did you prepare for surgery the night/week/hours before?

4. Last, but certainly not least :confused:, is there anyone scheduled for surgery on the same day or on that week? I'd love to hear from you!

Thank you in advance for your help!:cursing:

Good for you VFlores! don't be nervous.. be excited. I spent 1 nite at the hospital also. but almost as soon as I woke up from my surgery..after I went to the bath room, I took a slow walk around the hospital floor... twice! The first 2 times I had someone with me.. the next day.. I put my street clothes on and was practically sprinting .. well let's just say I picked up my pace and I was on my own.

You don't need anything except a robe, slippers and your medications..but the dr. will tell you which ones to bring. You need your coaching partener to help you walk and provide support.

I had 5 incisions but I only had discomfort at 1 site. the port site takes the longest to heal. Doesn't really hurt hurt.. but is uncomfortable and you know it's there. The others... you don't even notice.

I didn't have a fill til week 4, but I'm finding that each dr. is different. At first..you don't even want to eat, but by week 2.. you want more than those liquid. I guess your dr. recognizes that and prepping you early. Talk to his other patients and find out their experience with the 2 week post-op fill. That's your best gauge.

I'm excited for you. You won't beleive the energy you seem to feel immediately. Maybe it's because you're so hyped.. I dunno..but I wanted to get moving right away.