Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total Band Failure - 6 weeks post-op

Hello:

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has had a similiar experience. So far, I'm not finding a lot of information.

I was banded April 20, 2010. The operation seemed typical and I immediately started the post-op regimen--Clear liquids, non-clear liquids, etc. The recovery also seemed typical. I had some gas (burping) and pain in my shoulder, but nothing too out of the ordinary. By week 4 post-op I was back to exercising and had lost about 15 pounds. I followed the surgeon's instructions to a T.

In late May I developed an infection under my port and I had to have a second surgery to have the port removed on June 2. The plan was to let the area heal then go back in and replace the port in a new spot.

A week ago my surgeon ordered an endoscopy for me to determine if there was band erosion. There was. Now I have to have a THIRD surgery this week to have the band removed as well. We hope to be able to do it laproscopically, but he might have to make a major incision.

At this point, I have lost about 25 pounds.

I have not bothered to ask if we can try the procedure again. There's no way I'm risking going through that again. The time off work, the pain of recovery from multiple surgeries--it's just not worth it for me.

I'm very sad as I had such high hopes of the lapband helping me solve my weight problems once and for all.

My question to the group is:

Has anyone experienced something similiar so soon after the initial surgery? Just 6 weeks post-op.

I've been doing a lot of research and it seems more common for band erosion after the band has been in for a few years. I'm just trying to find someone else who is in my situation.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear about this. It must be awful to be having problems so soon.

Erosion so early on does seem rather strange.Maybe it isn't erosion. Maybe you somehow picked up an infection at the time of surgery.This would seem to be a more likely scenario especially considering you have had an infected port as well. Or maybe the infection from the port travelled upto the band.

The infection at the port site was quite possibly not present at the time of surgery but could have been something you picked up afterwards.

This is very disappointing for you and I can understand you not wanting to go through further surgery.

Have you thought of getting a second opinion? There is a possibility that your surgeon/surgical facility are at fault.If that is the case then I am not sure I would want the same team operating on me again. Another surgeon may be able to assist you.

Hello:

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has had a similiar experience. So far, I'm not finding a lot of information.

I was banded April 20, 2010. The operation seemed typical and I immediately started the post-op regimen--clear liquids, non-clear liquids, etc. The recovery also seemed typical. I had some gas (burping) and pain in my shoulder, but nothing too out of the ordinary. By week 4 post-op I was back to exercising and had lost about 15 pounds. I followed the surgeon's instructions to a T.

In late May I developed an infection under my port and I had to have a second surgery to have the port removed on June 2. The plan was to let the area heal then go back in and replace the port in a new spot.

A week ago my surgeon ordered an endoscopy for me to determine if there was band erosion. There was. Now I have to have a THIRD surgery this week to have the band removed as well. We hope to be able to do it laproscopically, but he might have to make a major incision.

At this point, I have lost about 25 pounds.

I have not bothered to ask if we can try the procedure again. There's no way I'm risking going through that again. The time off work, the pain of recovery from multiple surgeries--it's just not worth it for me.

I'm very sad as I had such high hopes of the LAP-BAND® helping me solve my weight problems once and for all.

My question to the group is:

Has anyone experienced something similiar so soon after the initial surgery? Just 6 weeks post-op.

I've been doing a lot of research and it seems more common for band erosion after the band has been in for a few years. I'm just trying to find someone else who is in my situation.

Thanks.

I will give you the same advice I give so many on these boards who have complications. Get copies of all your test results, including and most importantly your operative report. Get all the follow up doctor visit reports. You might be surprised at what you learn. I agree that your port infection could have traveled to your band. Was the type of infection identified?

You should proceed with caution with these doctors since they were looking for an erosion so soon after surgery they must have had reason to believe that it could have happened so soon. Or maybe that's what they told you but were actually looking for something else. Definitely get a copy of the test results that told the doctor it was band erosion. And if you can actually get pictures of that endoscopy, even better.

Good luck.

Thanks to both for your responses and advice. At this point, my band removal surgery is tomorrow and I'm "stuck" with my existing surgeon since I have been told no other surgeon will touch me right now. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

He actually verified that it was likely that the band erosion was what caused the infection at the port site. Evidently, once there's erosion, bacteria can travel down the tubing, across the abdominal wall and into the port site. <o:p></o:p>

I agree the question then is what exactly caused the band erosion so quickly. So far no answers, but I appreciate the advice on getting all my operative reports. I assume I have a right to those and they could give me some answers. I've been keeping a log the whole time about everything that has happened as well.

<o:p> </o:p>

For erosion to occur so quickly something must have occurred at the time of surgery. Either the band was put on too tight or somehow the sterile environment was breached.

Thanks to both for your responses and advice. At this point, my band removal surgery is tomorrow and I'm "stuck" with my existing surgeon since I have been told no other surgeon will touch me right now. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

He actually verified that it was likely that the band erosion was what caused the infection at the port site. Evidently, once there's erosion, bacteria can travel down the tubing, across the abdominal wall and into the port site. <o:p></o:p>

I agree the question then is what exactly caused the band erosion so quickly. So far no answers, but I appreciate the advice on getting all my operative reports. I assume I have a right to those and they could give me some answers. I've been keeping a log the whole time about everything that has happened as well.

Yes, you absolutely have a right to ALL of your test results, operative report (now you will need to get two) and follow up doctor visit reports. It is very important that you have these. I got all mine and took them to another doctor for a second opinion and found out I had a different size band than I was told and that my band had a slight slip (not told that either). I switched to that second surgeon and never looked back.

Actually, from reading on this forum for so many years, it can happen the other way too infection at the port often spreads up the tubing and leads to infection around the band site and then erosion. Infection at the port is VERY serious and must always be treated as soon as possible.

From memory, other people that this has happened to have been able to be rebanded but generaly have to take the band out, wait for total healing and then have the band replaced in a second op some months later.

Actually, from reading on this forum for so many years, it can happen the other way too infection at the port often spreads up the tubing and leads to infection around the band site and then erosion. Infection at the port is VERY serious and must always be treated as soon as possible.

Agreed, in fact that was one of the possibilities I suggested when I responded the first time.

He actually verified that it was likely that the band erosion was what caused the infection at the port site. Evidently, once there's erosion, bacteria can travel down the tubing, across the abdominal wall and into the port site. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

The OP then replied that the surgeon confirmed that it was the other way around.

I would be very sceptical and also concerned about using the same surgeon. Probably because I'm not a very trusting person and like to question and take everything with a big pinch of salt.

However as the surgery is already scheduled its a bit late to try and find alternatives now.

Hoping everything goes well this time.

Thanks to everyone for their great advice, information and well-wishes. I got home from the hospital yesterday after 7 days for the removal of the band. I'm feeling pretty good and hope to continue on the positive road to recovery.

No more band for me folks. It's interesting how every heath care professional I've spoken to over the past two weeks nod knowingly when I tell them of my situation and say something along the lines of, "Yea, we get a lot of lapband complications here."

My experience was just too scary and painful for me to take that risk again. Guess I'll have to go back to doing it the old fashioned way. The good news is I'm already 30 pounds ahead of the game this time.

Best of luck to all of you on your journey. I wish everyone health and happiness. :)

Ymarhodes

I had erosion as well about 4 months after getting the band. It wasnt serious though only the size of a pea. My doc accidentally stumbled across it after doing a random full check up with an endoscope check ( i needed my tubing to be moved so he decided just to check my whole band since the tubing was hurting me a bit).

After some meds my stomach healed and I didnt need the band removed but i chose to have it removed so my stomach could heal. I am getting a new one July 10th.

I am sorry you have had so many problems. I dont know what caused my erosion but since it was so small and 4 months after surgery we are sure it didnt happen during my surgery.

Just know your not alone. Some of us are the unlucky few who get the short end of the stick in these situations :)

I am curious about how much to costs to remove the Band? Is it less than the putting it in? And how is the recovery... the same as installing it, less, more post-op pain?? I am not planning on removing mine, but just curious just in case!:confused: