Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

doubts needing reassurance.

Realistically, is it possible to lose all of my excess weight (about 100 lbs) and keep it off for the rest of my life with the lap band?

I know it's a tool, and I have to work hard for it. I don't have a problem with that part and have lost 120 pounds in the not to far past. But I need to do more than lose...I need to keep it off!!! Will the lap band help me with that part? Is this possible?

I just don't want to fail again.

Thanks!

Of course it's possible. There are hundreds if not thousands of members here that have done it.

I have no problem losing weight either. I lost 95 pounds in the 5 months leading up to my surgery. I had surgery for the specific reason of keeping weight off. I'll do the losing and just count on it to "help" me in not gaining it back.

The less doubt you have, the better off you will be. Read some of the testimonials here and around the internet. Your confidence will increase.

Good luck!!

I had doubts like you before my surgery, but now I am much more confident this is going to work for me. The reason is the difference in my hunger level.

I had read before surgery that the band reduces hunger, but it really did not make a lot of sense to be because I was always hungry, no matter what I did. My weight losses were always through self deprivation. I thought I would be having to learn behavior management through eating too much resulting in vomiting thus making me less likely to overeat next time.

I was banded April 7 and have lost 49.8 pounds. And it was different than other diets in that I really feel a difference in my hunger level. I still get hungry at meal times. I still enjoy food. I do not believe I have full restriction yet, but my hunger is different. I do not think about food constantly between meals.

I used to plan my lunch while eating Breakfast and think about it all morning at work. I don't do that like I used to. Sometimes I will start feeling hungry and wonder why I am hungry already and look up to see it is 1:00 (I usually go to lunch at noon). It sneaks up on me. I assume this will only get better with better restriction.

I do feel my band giving me some restriction, but I have only gotten stuck and vomited once after eating way too fast, so it is not behavior modification like I thought it would be from doing this over and over. I can tell when I am getting full, stop eating and not over eat. Then I feel full for some time. I have eaten something I should not have eaten a couple of times but it did not start the downhill slide like in the past. I ate off, then was satisfied and ate good at the next meal.

It is hard to explain the subjective difference in the feeling of hunger, but I can assure you it is different. I feel certain I will continue to lose weight and keep it off. I feel more hopeful than in years!:thumbup:

of course you can!!! it´s a matter of keeping your new eating habits and exercising. this is not a temporary thing, this is a change for lifetime. plus you will be so happy with your new weight that you won´t even want to go back to your old eating habits!!!:thumbup:

Thanks so much for your answers! I hate the niggling doubt.

I just want everyone that has done well with the lap band that I am very happy for them and hope it continues to work for them. My daughter and I both had lap bands put in in July 2007 and neither one of use still have them in. My daughter had a very bad case of errosion and had hers out along with her appendex in Oct 09. The errosion made a hole in her stomach and the doctor thought it was a critical situation. I have had nothing but problems with mine as well but in different ways then my daughter. We went by the book and did not abuse them! We did everything right. I have found out recently that there are more cases of errosion or leakage than they say. I found out from another person that had her band out that her stomach would swell with stress and she has symtoms more like me. She just had hers removed because after 6 years of having it it also erroded. I just went to Tijuana where I got the band and had it taken out. I got the sleve plication from Dr Lopez Corvala.At Hospital Angeles. I wish this would have been available 3 years ago but it wasnt. I dont think my daughter will have another surgery so it is too bad the band didnt work for her. I am more hopefull about the sleve and really believe it will be better than having a foreign object in your body. There are only stiches no staples. I had it only 5 days ago so will keep you up to date but one of the ladies that I spoke about had done the same thing and she has had her sleve for 1 year and doing better with it. she told me that if you have to have your band unfilled for any reason it can cause the errosion to start if you have it unfilled for more than a month. evidently because of my stomach swelling and too much restriction, this is what happened to me as well as for her. It was very interesting to hear her story since it was so much like mine. If anyone is now thinking about getting the band, I would suggest they get the sleve or sleve plication instead. The sleave plication is only $6700. from doctor Lopez and the band is $5400. I would spend the extra money to get the sleave instead you will spend the extra money on fills as well with a band. with the sleave there is no filling.