Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT Am I doing wrong? :(

So I'll be banded 5 weeks next Monday, and I've been at a stand-still since the day I've started whole foods. I haven't lost a thing, but of course the scale is up some days and down the next, but never below 209.2lbs.

I eat my 3 meals a day, no Snacks, simply because I am not hungry between meals. Breakfast is usually an egg with 2 pieces of bacon, lunch is usually a salad w/ chicken, and dinner is something usually 4oz. meat with 1/4-1/2 cup of food.< /span>

I get around 800-1000 calories a day and I've been staying under 30 carbs, hoping that it'd help me lose weight but obviously it isn't. My Protein levels are in the 80s+ each day.

Does anyone have any idea why I'm not losing? I talked to my nut. and she said everything looked fine, but I'm suspecting I am not getting enough calories. I have been walking about 2 miles a day and last night I even ran because I'm so frustrated. :thumbup:

I have my next appt. with my doctor on Monday to see if I need a fill, but I'm sure I don't as I am not grazing and I'm not hungry between meals.

Any ideas at all? Do I need to just wait it out some?

Edited by reverie

you probably do need a fill. the amount of food that my nut wants me to eat TOTAL in one meal is 4 to 5 oz....your portions might be a little too large for you. I was banded right around your time and am continuing to lose weigt. I had my first fill on monday and have dropped 5 lbs since then. when your dr sees you haven't really lost, he will probably give you a fill.

I was told by my dr that it is VERY normal to stop losing or even gain when you reintroduce regular food into your diet...especially hard Protein. the reason being is our bodies have (in some small way) been in starvation mode...so introducing the calories of "real" food back into our diets, our bodies are going to hold onto it and have a hard time letting go.

but don't fret! the scale will start moving down.

good luck!

and ps, you may not realize you need a fill (i thought I was fine and restricted) until you get one...and man its great!

Got it! So should I start cutting down to 4-5oz on my own and see what happens? I was told by a few that my calorie count was too low so I'm all confused!!

my doc says plateaus are pretty normal. It might be an idea to mix it up a bit. Like instead of bacon have a cup of yoghurt with some chopped up fruit and nuts on some days and some porridge on another.

Also you might want to keep the weighing yourself to once a week or fortnight (every other week for you americans:wink2:) I sometimes find it can get discouraging to weigh myself every single day because hormones, Water and a whole lot of other stuff have an influence. Good luck

You may not have lost in the past few weeks, but your ticker shows a significant loss---big enough that plateau is probably the culprit.

Plateaus just happen. They have no rhyme or reason. You can be doing everything right, and find the scale just sticks for a while---and then resumes its happy downward trend.

It's very frustrating, but chances are, if you just ride it out, you'll find that you're soon losing again :thumbup:

You're doing great. Plateaus are a part of the process. Your body needs time to shift things around. Even though you haven't lost weight in a week or so, you may have noticed that clothing is looser in some areas.

I recently went through a 4 week plateau and just kept asking my scale if it was done teasing me or not.

Your diet sound ok but it couldn't hurt to experiment a little. try eating a few more calories a day and see if that jump starts the weight loss.

Also, make sure you are drinking at least 64 ounces of Water daily. This makes more of a difference than most realize.

Good luck and keep your chin up!

Thank you everyone!! You're all so so helpful. Much appreciated.

I'm gonna promise myself to stay off the scale for awhile. I am getting 64oz+ of Water in a day. Hopefully this is just a plateau, and a short one at that! I'll keep on trucking. Thank you guys again. :thumbup:

I would try cutting your volume down for meals. It sounds a bit large. then you will prob need to snack. thats good! that will increase your motabolism. You will get on track soon!

This is so weird! Usually I'm eating around 800-900 calories a day. Yesterday I got into the 1000-1100 range and the scale has moved DOWN!!! :thumbup:

I'm guessing I'm not getting enough calories in.

I think you need MORE calories not less. Especially since you are exercising. Try increasing your calories to 1000-1200 and see what happens. I know it is a constant challenge! Keep pushing through it, you are doing great! Good Luck!

This is so weird! Usually I'm eating around 800-900 calories a day. Yesterday I got into the 1000-1100 range and the scale has moved DOWN!!! :thumbup:

I'm guessing I'm not getting enough calories in.

Think of your metabolism as a fire. If you throw some kindling in; it will burn for a short while. If you throw in a good size log, it will burn hotter and longer. Too much wood and you smother the fire.

Something like that.

The most improtant thing you need to do it not get discouraged and don't beat yourself up. :thumbup:

Keep your eye on the prize, keep doing what your professionals tell you to do and it will happen.

Some times variety and changing the plan up a bit shakes things up, but the thing I have found, even though it is hard to follow it, is that what I eat today does not directly affect what I weight tomorrow. Instead, what I eat this month, affects what I weigh at the end of the month. I want it to be immediate gratification of weight loss today because I was "good" yesterday, but it just doesn"t work that way. It is a lifestyle change.

So hang in there, it is for the long haul and it will pay off.:smilielol5::thumbup::lol::thumbup::lol::thumbup::lol:

Think of your metabolism as a fire. If you throw some kindling in; it will burn for a short while. If you throw in a good size log, it will burn hotter and longer. Too much wood and you smother the fire.

Something like that.

Love this analogy!!

Love this analogy!!

Thanks! I wish I could lay claim to it but I got it from my nutritionists.

I have had the same problem since reintroducing the solid Protein and I was told the same thing, I wasn't eating enough. Great to hear the advice!