Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you pace your drinking?

I'm having a lot of trouble only drinking 2 oz every 15 minutes. I start sipping and then I realize I drank more than 2 oz, or I just sip every couple of minutes and then realize I haven't drunk enough.

Does anyone have a trick to pace yourself not to drink too much or too little?

Who told you that rule? Are you newly banded? Are you drinking Water? I was told to get in as much as possible...I've never had a problem drinking, gulping, sipping...whatever my brain's in the mood for. I'm 5 months post-op...even in the early days, drinking wasn't a problem.

Same here. I was always a gulper. Now the band slows me down a decent amount but I still drink Water in a short sitting, not in a leisurely way over time. It's habit I guess, but it's also not particularly convenient to have a bottle handy every x number of seconds to take a sip. The band pretty much tells you what you can and can't do. Of course you should follow the rules that you've been given to the best of your ability, but drinking water steadily throughout the day as you describe wouldn't jibe with my kid chasing life at all. Then again, I probably don't drink enough water so you shouldn't be listening to me!

I have the same questions as PP-- are you newly banded? I believe that the restriction to 2 oz of Fluid per 15 minutes is really only if you are having trouble getting fluids down. If you're comfortable drinking more than that, I think it's safe. If liquids can pass through to your lower stomach easily, you won't stretch your pouch out or anything.

I never had any problems drinking liquids at all.... and just drink it normally.

I was banded on 4/8/10, but my Dr. told me to never drink more than 2 oz in 15 mins or I would stretch out my pouch. I am really fearful when I drink 3 or 4 oz by mistake in 15 minutes that I'm stretching it out.

Most of the time I drink Water, but once in awhile I'll have some Crystal Light or the 0 Calorie Vitamin Water.< /p>

It is really frustrating to try and pace myself so much. Before surgery, I was drinking close to 90 oz a day. Now I'm lucky if I can get in 48 oz or so.

I was banded on 4/8/10, but my Dr. told me to never drink more than 2 oz in 15 mins or I would stretch out my pouch. I am really fearful when I drink 3 or 4 oz by mistake in 15 minutes that I'm stretching it out.

Most of the time I drink Water, but once in awhile I'll have some Crystal Light or the 0 Calorie Vitamin Water.< /p>

It is really frustrating to try and pace myself so much. Before surgery, I was drinking close to 90 oz a day. Now I'm lucky if I can get in 48 oz or so.

That is weird. I've never heard of water or liquids for that matter stretching the pouch or causing a slip. If that is the case, I'm screwed. I had to gulp a bottle of water this afternoon because I was outside working and got to hot :thumbup:.

After surgery I was told to drink 4oz and hour. A friend taught me the trick of taking medicine cups (1oz) filling up four of them and then drinking one every fifteen minutes or so. Not something I could do long term but it helped keep me hydrated post op. (the first few days I was so dehydrated because I wasnt getting enough fluid).

That is weird. I've never heard of Water or liquids for that matter stretching the pouch or causing a slip. If that is the case, I'm screwed. I had to gulp a bottle of Water this afternoon because I was outside working and got to hot :thumbup:.

Sounds like a load of crap to me too.

Liquids shouldn't sit in your pouch more than a few seconds unless you are way too tight.

Mary, ask your doctor to explain what he/she means.

After surgery I was told to drink 4oz and hour. A friend taught me the trick of taking medicine cups (1oz) filling up four of them and then drinking one every fifteen minutes or so. Not something I could do long term but it helped keep me hydrated post op. (the first few days I was so dehydrated because I wasnt getting enough fluid).

My Dr. suggested filling up quarter cup measuring cups and drinking from them, but I have trouble doing that too. :( I especially have trouble when I'm at work. I have one of those hospital cups that are marked off by ounce, but I still don't drink enough in 15 minutes because I'm so worried about it.

He told me that this is the way I'm supposed to drink from now on. I even clarified with the NP when I talked to her about it. They both told me that if I drink more, I'm going to stretch out my pouch. I don't know what is wrong with me, but I can't seem to get that right and stick to it.

I'll have to see if I can do better with the medicine cups, but I can just seem spilling them all over the keyboard at work--I'm not terrible coordintated. :thumbup: