Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Banded 3 wks ago and not losing weight

I am a bit discouraged. The weight loss was great that first week and ever since then it’s up and down. Especially now that I'm able to reintroduce solids again. I noticing that I am still able to eat a substantial amount of food which is discouraging considering I went through major surgery to not be able to do that. Needless to say I am looking forward to my1st fill so I can see some real weight loss. Are any of you experiencing any of this????

Hi...I was banded in late February and just like you...I lost at first(2-3 wks) but, now at 3 months and 1 wk post op I have lost a total of 25 lbs. I keep struggling with the last 3-4 lbs as in gaining/losing the same 3-4. My MD says this should not be a diet and when it feels like a diet then I need a fill. Well I have had 3 and I am scheduled for another on 6/22. Sometimes I feel so confused cause the md says this shouldn't be a diet, but in the same sentence he wants to know how much I eat and what I eat. He will make negative sounds or comments when I eat more than I should or things I shouldn't. Isn't that a diet? I really do not wanna be bashing him cause I do like him and I feel like this is my problem...I'm the cause, but I do wanna be going in the right direction. I don't know if you have even begun to deal with anything like this, but I would appreciate your comments.

I think by "diet", your doctor means you shouldn't be feeling hungry all the time. THAT'S when you need to go in for a fill, when you're not getting restriction, thus suffering from hunger throughout the day.

But by "diet" if you think that means you can still eat whatever you want, however much you want, I think you've missed the point of the surgery.

Its a huge lifestyle change. Our eating habits have to change 100%. If we ate what was good for us and in reasonable proportions, none of us would need this surgery to begin with!

Hi Mary! I too am going through the same thing. I got banded three weeks ago today. I lost 13 pounds the first week and nothing since. It is so frustrating! I am doing everything I'm supposed to be doing, including exercise and nothing is happening. I am starting to feel more hungry, but I think it's because I am alot more active. Everyone keeps telling me, the weight loss will pick up, so I have to hold onto that or I'll go nuts! I have been really obsessed with the numbers on the scale, so I am making my parents take it out of the house. I will weigh myself at work once a week. I'm hoping that helps me stop feeling so discouraged. We'll get there Mary!!! Just hang in there cuz you're not alone!

I was Banded 3/2/10 and I did not experience this I have had steady weight loss, but I was trying to rush it the first month. You need to remember that the first month is all about recovering. you just had surgery and your body needs to recover and heal from that. This can lead to weight gain and loss. Also you need to take in enough Protein a day to continue with the weightloss. The more protein in a meal the less hungry you should feel in between meals.

to me it sounds like your doctor needs to adjust your band tighter. You should be feeling full after small amounts of food. You need an adjustment i think.

You guys are in "Bandster Hell" when you're back on solid food, but have no restriction. It can take awhile to get good restriction - I think it was about 4 months for me, but once you get it it's great and makes a world of difference. During this time it will take self control on your part to not gain weight, work with your Dr. to get your fills and get to the sweet spot.

Good luck!

This to me highlights your clinics lack of "banding training". They should have told you before surgery that the band has no (or very little) Fluid in it when it's placed during surger, and the initial restriction you feel is due to swelling.

Like another poster said, what you're experiencing is 'bandster hell'! It will pass. Your goal during the first 4 - 6 weeks should not be weight loss (although for most if does occur), but instead healing, making sure your band heals properly so it will work as expected later on.

good luck.

This to me highlights your clinics lack of "banding training". They should have told you before surgery that the band has no (or very little) Fluid in it when it's placed during surger, and the initial restriction you feel is due to swelling.

Like another poster said, what you're experiencing is 'bandster hell'! It will pass. Your goal during the first 4 - 6 weeks should not be weight loss (although for most if does occur), but instead healing, making sure your band heals properly so it will work as expected later on.

good luck.

I agree with you totally regarding the lack of knowledge that bariatric centers/surgeons/staff are telling bandsters before surgery on what to expect. This is the second post in 2 days that I've seen that people just expect the weight to start falling off.

For most people, it DOESN"T fall off the first couple of weeks, or even months due to the lack of restriction. It is pretty much up to you to eat right and heal from the surgery. Don't be concerned about weight loss at this point. Everyone just wants the weight off overnight and with the band it doesn't happen that way. What is happening to you is really pretty normal. Be thankful for ANY weight you've lost prior to any fills.

Drink your fluids, get plenty of rest, start exercising when your physician gives you the green light and eat according to the bandster rules. It is very difficult at first but you can do it. Just don't expect the world right away. It will come.

I actually gained a few lbs in my first 6 weeks post surgery! My doc stressed that it is the time to heal, not worry about weight loss. So I didn't stress over it - and after my first fill it didn't seem to do anything for me....so I got my second and it has been great ever since, steadily losing. I was banded in MArch 2009 and I didn't really start losing steadily until July 2009...so be patient and hang in there! I think we tend to want it to be like the gastric bypass and just start falling off right away....but the band is much different.

If I'm reading the thread/title correctly it doesn't sound like the OP is ready for a fill yet and is still in the healing stage at just three weeks post-op. As others have written this is the period for recovery from surgery and not really for weight loss. There is some restriction immediately post-op from the surgery. Band restriction though isn't likely until you've had a few fills at least. In the meantime you should control what you can, your Protein intake, make good food choices and get plenty of approved exercise. Hang in there and good luck.

to me it sounds like your doctor needs to adjust your band tighter. You should be feeling full after small amounts of food. You need an adjustment i think.

I agree that this is a very common concern on this forum. There seems to be very poor, or very little information given to banding patients overall so they are forced to figure things out on their own.

I wish this site would have an autoresponder when someone signs up that would direct them to the FAQ section FIRST. BEFORE THEY CAN DO ANYTHING OR POST ANYTHING.

There is so much great advice here and it is incredibly difficult to find since there are so many different sections. I think this can be extremely overwhelming to someone new to this type of forum.

I am an internet board veteran and use the FAQ sections, Search functions and the like very easily, but so many people are new to internet forums that they don't know how to find the information they need/want so they just start posting.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just something that has been frustrating me for a while....:thumbup:

kagead