Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New procedure Gastric Sleeve Plication as a Revision for LAP Band

I'm so confused about the whole thing. I wanted the band until I started reading here!! There are some very inspiring exceptions, but MOST posts are about how AWFUL the band is and how they're ALWAYS hungry and the band does NOT WORK!!

Does it work or not?? Should I just go on a strict diet and hope for the best?!

I'm very confused right now as to how the band is helpful, which really sucks because I feel like it's the only surgery I'm comfortable having.

I'm truly confused about how it works and WHY so many people are feeling unsuccessful with it.

For me the band has worked. I would never get the sleeve done because it freaks me out that they would cut out my stomach. the plication is different because they don't cut your stomach they stitch it.

here is a video.

I have even heard of this being done under your band so you don't need big fills and there is less chance of stomach erosion and your band slipping.

Anyways though I have had some complications I have still been really successful with the band and don't regret it. i started with a low BMI so I didn't want a drastic surgery.

I'm now 12 pounds from goal. If you work hard, follow your doctors orders, and exercise you can be successful too :blushing:

Everyone is different so it is hard to pinpoint why people are not successful sometimes it is their health, sometimes it is their diet, sometimes it is their head hunger, sometimes it is their lack of exercise, etc. If you have a good support system, have a good nutritionist, a good doc and a good mind set and motivation you will succeed.

I'm so confused about the whole thing. I wanted the band until I started reading here!! There are some very inspiring exceptions, but MOST posts are about how AWFUL the band is and how they're ALWAYS hungry and the band does NOT WORK!!

Does it work or not?? Should I just go on a strict diet and hope for the best?!

I'm very confused right now as to how the band is helpful, which really sucks because I feel like it's the only surgery I'm comfortable having.

I'm truly confused about how it works and WHY so many people are feeling unsuccessful with it.

I have the band (4 weeks Post-Op) and although it's still really early I'm now wishing I got the plication surgery instead. It seems you can eat more normal than with the band, no pressure in the chest, you can actually feel full. I also hear that you have no head hunger like from the band. With the band, you have a foreign object inside you, it needs maintenance such as fills and you have limitations on what kinds of foods you can and cannot eat. My advise: If you are a self-pay go with the plication.

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I thought to bump this up.. I'd live to hear from some who have done the plication combined with Lap Band... My doc is very insistent that it's the holy grail of all bariatric surgeries. His reasoning makes sense--I'm on my phone now, but later when I get in front of my computer, I'll try to post some of the literature he gave me on this.

Anybody has done this completed? Thanks in advance!

BandIt... I haven't had it yet - scheduled June 20th. My doc was also very enthusiastic and felt like it would continue to increase in popularity. Please share any literature you receive (as there's not a lot to find about the procedure online).

BandIt... I haven't had it yet - scheduled June 20th. My doc was also very enthusiastic and felt like it would continue to increase in popularity. Please share any literature you receive (as there's not a lot to find about the procedure online).

PLEASE move this conversation over to SleevePlicationTalk.com . You can log right in with your LBT credentials.

The only part that disturbs me about the procedure is that they do remove a portion of your stomach, so it is irreversible

==========================

This is not true. They don't remove any stomach at all and it is reversible

The reversibility of gastric plication is still a question mark. Within 2 or 3 months it is, but after that, there is simply not enough experience w/ patients to know. Dr. Lopez Corvala at Hospital Angeles led a session at the last IFSO meeting reporting his results from 200+ patients - hasn't had a reversing situation yet. When asked he says there will be scar tissue as with band, but it's just not clear how long-term scar tissue development affects reversibility of stitches.

The reversibility of gastric plication is still a question mark. Within 2 or 3 months it is, but after that, there is simply not enough experience w/ patients to know. Dr. Lopez Corvala at Hospital Angeles led a session at the last IFSO meeting reporting his results from 200+ patients - hasn't had a reversing situation yet. When asked he says there will be scar tissue as with band, but it's just not clear how long-term scar tissue development affects reversibility of stitches.

PLEASE move this conversation over to SleevePlicationTalk.com . You can log right in with your LBT credentials.

We're happy to announce the beta launch of RNYTalk.com ! RNYTalk is the premier community for individuals who have undergone and who are now researching Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass weight loss surgery.

Be one of the first to post.....

Checking into this more. I have to have my band removed after only three years. Very upset and hurt over the whole thing.