Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tea or coffee is harmful for heath or not?????

I don't drink either for religious reasons, but plenty of folks drink them in moderation (1-2 cups/day) with no ill consequences. I do know from my professional practice, that the caffeine in coffee and tea can act as a diuretic and promote dehydration if you don't drink enough non-caffeinated fluids. Also, tannins can bind with Iron and prevent you from absorbing the iron. If you are drinking them in moderation and taking in plenty of non-caffeinated fluids, you should be fine. But if you're a junkie:smile2:, depending on how you are doing with your diet and supplement regimen, you could fall short of meeting your nutrition needs. Talk to a registered dietitian about making sure you meet your needs.

The diuretic effect of caffeine has been definitively found to have been grossly exaggerated. Most of the Fluid in a caffeinated drink is available to the body for hydration; very little is lost to diuresis. And it simply does not pull other Fluid from the body.

Experts are now saying that most of the volume of the caffeinated drinks can be counted as part of daily fluid intake--the impact of caffeine on hydration really is that minimal.

That said, caffeine can be harmful to health---for some people. It can contribute to fibrocystic breast disease symptoms. It can aggravate cardiac arrhythmia. It can irritate stomach mucosa and promote ulcer formation (as can the acids/tannins in coffee/tea).

For most people, though, both in moderation are safe.

I drink Decafe tea everyday and I am still chugging on =)

I drink tea and coffee every day. I stop at Starbucks once a day for a iced skinny surgar free vanilla latte. For Breakfast I have either Morning Thunder tea or Rasberry White Tea as I need caffeine in the morning to get going. The rest of the day I drink herbal teas without caffiene. I'm sure I keep Celestial Seasons in business.

It hasn't hurt me at all. I love teas, and I love the fact that the herbal teas are a pleasantly flavored way to get Water without artificial sweetners!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches