Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months is a long time

I've gone to a seminar, picked a surgeon Dr. Trivedi @ Advance Laparoscopic Associates and now I have to do the six month diet, OMG, I don't know how I'm gonna survive waiting the six months that BCBS wants, Insurance companies stink:tt2:, LOL..

I Agree...it kind of does stink. Especially if you are ready to start!

BUT it is also a blessing, as it gives you that time to develop some fantastic eating habits, as well as time to think, and figure out exactly what you have to do to succeed with the band.

Just do like I did, which was begin on my own- I call it practice in being banded. Now that my surgery is almost here finally, I am so grateful to be prepared! I think that's the point of the 6 month supervised diet- to get you ready. As I keep hearing over and over on this board, the band is only a tool, and its usefulness depends on how you work it.

It will be ok........ I bitched up a storm about the same issue with BCBS. & 7 months later in retrospect that time was a good for me to really be sure I knew what I was getting into. No regrets,from me its really is a life style change and you need to wrap your brain around

I started the 6 month supervised diet in Feb. I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I haven't lost any more weight than the 2lbs I lost initial, but I have had a lot of time to think about what is going to work for me. I feel like it is a blessing and a curse all in the same time. Wishing you a speedy 6 months! Good luck!!

When was the last time you checked the requirements? BCBS of Texas said they just changed the 6 month requirement to 3 months this January which I only learned about when I went into the program. I was braced for the 6 month ordeal since i had just checked the requiements in November.

I agree... Insurance does stink making you wait 6 months. I have finally completed the six months and now been waiting two weeks for an approval. I have BCBS(Pa). I live in Texas and yes BCBS (Tx) has changed theirs to 3 months.

Take this time while waiting for insurance approval to really wrap your head around how Lapband surgery will change your life. I, too, was required to have the six month supervised plan. At first I was upset because I felt I was ready to jump in and have the surgery. In retrospect, I am so happy that BCBS had that requirement. It gave me time to "practice" eating like a banded person and provided me with adequate time to prepare.

I woke up from surgery NOT feeling like I had the rug yanked out from under me. I felt truly prepared for what was to come. Those first few months can be tough b/4 you get your fills and feel that you are at your "sweet spot". Take this time to read everything you can on LapBandTalk. The wait is worth it.

Wishing you luck!

Thanks for all the replys I will take everyone's advise and use this time wisely so I am better prepared when I have the surgery!!!:thumbup:

I am in the middle of my 6 month pre surgery stuff also. Some have said the 6 months goes fast, it is going slow for me. I'm so ready to have this surgery. When I first learned about the 6 month wait, I was mad, I had been considering this surgery for 2 years and was ready, had I known, I would have started the process 6 months earlier LOL.

But each month I go to my required monthly nutritionist visit and learn something new and talk about how I am preparing. Each month I get a little closer to the surgery.

They have gotten me to change 1 thing each month in the hopes I won't be in total shell shock when I get the surgery. I understand the reasoning behind preparing for it and all that, but I still wish I could get the surgery next week LOL.

Try not to watch your calendar too much, that has been my problem.

Good luck!

Just wanted to let you know I go to Dr. Trivedi @ Advance Laparoscopic Associates. I had my surgery in TJ, Mexico...but go there for my fills. Everyone in the office is very nice and the thing I like most about them is that they don't make you wake weeks in-between fills.