Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doc told me it was okay to take advil. But a friend of mine who just had her surgery (band) said her doctor told her to stay away from it forever! She said, he told her that it could eat a hole in her pouch?

I Have been taking it for my back pain and when I am on my period. It DOES NOT go down easy at all, None the less, I have been taking it. YIKES! I plan to call my surgeon again and ask!

What did your doctor tell you about advil/ibuprofen?

What do you take for pain? I know about liquids, but what about pill form pain meds?

I was told Tylenol only.

My surgeon told me the same thing no Advil ever again.

Thats good to know! I have been taking 800mg IBU's to take the edge off! Yikes :biggrin:

My doctor told me that with the lapband it was ok but gastric bypass patients could not ever again. Since I have been losing weight and eating better my headaches have almost vanished. I rarely get them anymore.:biggrin:

My Doctor said that I should not take Advil or anything with Ibuprofen.

I actually got a list of NO-NO drugs ..

on that list was advil, aleve, ibuprophen, ALKASELTZER, and more.....it is too hard on the stomach is what I was told :biggrin:

My surgeon instructed me to take Ibuprofen (I was banded Monday). Strange! :biggrin:

Since my surgery I have less pain for sure and I do not take them as often, but I am left scratching my head here trying to figure out whats okay?

I appreciate all the responses. Maybe its just best I dont take them any more. :biggrin:

I left a mssg for the nurse at my sureons office. Still waiting to hear back. Thank you so much everyone!

PS: MY BAND KICKS ASS!

Nonsteroidal antiinflammatories are linked to ulcer formation. The band itself also poses an ulcer risk. Because the combo of the two really ups risk, most band doctors veto the use of Advil and other NSAIDs.

I'm allergic to NSAIDS, so it's moot for me. I take an Rx liquid pain reliever.

Thank you betsy... Your the best.. Wish my doc would have told me this.. WOW! right?

Luckily, I havent been popping them left and right.. only here and there.

Thank you so much to everyone.

My doctor told me that if i have headaches to go with Tylenol but since I use Advil for arthritis and am monitored for problems to continue. I take it with food now, however, and have cut down smewhat. I cannot take most pain meds and haven't gotten to the point were I am on injections or infusions.

BetsyB - what would your doctor recommend for inflammation? I've been spinning my ass off (literally) and my left knee is killing me. I've also had several sports (and fatness) related orthopedic injuries over the years for which Advil has been the temporary magic bullet. I'll ask my doctor at my next appointment but you seem to be well educated on all things band. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Thank god for ibuprofin--it's the only otc pain killer that really works for me! I use the liquid gels with plenty of Water. My reasoning is that as soon as the gel caps dissolve, the liquid pain killer will go right through my pouch into the rest of my stomach. Ibuprofin can be hard on the stomach (even before being banded) as it is. I prefer to not have the pain killer sitting above my stoma for very long because I've found that it can irritate the stoma and cause "stuck" problems until it eventually heals in a few days.

My doctor told me no Advil because if it sits on top and doesn't go through the band, it can cause erosion. I think it would have to be excessive use of Advil for that to happen, but better safe than sorry. I have been struggling with this since Advil is the only thing that really works for me.