Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

had my first doctors visit still on the edge

im 20 yrs old 208 lbs and i just had my first doctors visit for the band. im also looking into other alternatives. im afraid i wont be able to stick to the post op diet to perfection and i dont know what will happen. the doctor told me the percussions but i want to know what will happen from a band user. how severe will me life change and how difficult will the change be. im extremlty scared and stressed hopefully some one can help me decide or at least give me first hand information.

thanks

britt

208 isn't all that heavy. I'm unsure how you even qualify for it. I Can't wait until I'm down to that! Lol-

I have yet to have my first appointment. I go Thursday, and can't wait. So far, pretty much everyone has had good things to say about it. They say it's hard, and that you will have good days and bad days. Also, the Lap Band is a tool. It's kind-of like a screw driver. You can put it up to a screw, but it's not going to turn itself. If you don't exercise and follow the diet, it's not going to work.

I know it's going to be hard work. Some people have the preconceived notion that it's a miracle weight loss surgery, and the pounds are going to fall off. I'm quiet sure it's not going to be anything like that! Lol-

Anyhow- Hope everything works good for you!! (And myself!!)

I won't kid you it is hard at times especially the first few months before you have restriction. Once you reach restriction I won't say it is easy but not having to deal with hunger pains makes it much more bearable. You also have the motivation of seeing the weight come off. Yes, there are times you just want to go crazy and give in to all of your cravings, and you will give in sometimes.The great thing about the band though is that it will only allow you to give in a little bit. You won't be able to eat any where near what you used to. I have been fortunate and have not had any serious problems or complications. I decided it didn't have to be that complicated. I don't count calories or fat grams or carbohydrates. I do concentrate on getting a lot of Protein and I make sure and drink atleast 64 ozs or Water every day. I can't really eat bread or Pasta anymore. That was difficult at first but quite honestly once you get stuck on them the appeal is gone. I exercise four to five times a week, but I am not a fanatic. I do about 30 minutes and include some yoga, some strength training and some running. I feel like I have been fairly successful. My one year bandiversary is next week, May 5th and I have lost about 80 lbs. I still need to lose another 25 or 30 but that seems like nothing compared to where I have been. I could never have done this without the band, I just didn't have the willpower. The band helps with that. I hope to have this band for the rest of my life. Once I finish losing the weight I intend to continue using the band to help me maintain that weight loss. Good luck to you in making your decision.

What I would give to be 208 right now!

208 isn't all that heavy.

I can't believe that anyone could think that. It just shows how warped our thinking has become and how easily we accept being hugely overweight.

According to my calculations this is almost 95kg which for most women is really overweight.

Also without knowing the posters height it is impossible to say if this is overweight or not.

If he/she is 5' tall then this gives her a BMI of 40.6 Morbidly obese.

If the OP is 5'6" then the BMI is 33.6 which is still OBESE.

The normal BMI range for women is 19.1 - 25.8. So to fall within this range at this weight the OP would have to be approx 6'4" tall - and this is still at the very top of the normal range!

Agreed. I am 22 and 215lbs now and i am obese because im only 5'3. It is still hard to lose weight when youre just over 200. My advice to you is that if you really want it, youll do it. Post op, when youre looking at that bag of chips or cookie jar think of that bikini or shorts or tank top you seen in the store last week that you couldnt even imagine wearing right now... How about that winter jacket you cant buy because you look an extra 30lbs. Im getting banded may 26th and im stoked. Ill be able to go swimming and not run to the pool with embarassment or go to jamaica without my sweaters! What motivates you to lose weight?

Ask yourself how much you want it. It is a tool. I was told to eat all your healthy food and when you go to eat that chocolate bar think about how full you are and you wont even want to eat it..

Also what i did, is i started eating small small healthy meals each day just to prep myself for post op. So ill eat a small bowl of Cereal for Breakfast, then an apple/banana for a snack cause ill be starving, then lunch a piece of fish and if i have a chocolate craving ill eat it.. but maybe only half. Prep yourself now for the post op.

Im more worried about the pre op diet lol 2 shakes a day, brutal!

Im more worried about the pre op diet lol 2 shakes a day, brutal!

Actually. I have been doing the 2 shakes a day thing. Then I'll have a piece of grilled chicken and maybe a salad for dinner. With the shakes I have been having (Whey Protein from Wal-Mart) it hasn't been that hard! I was really freaking out about it- Thinking I would be starving. But so far, it's been alright. I just eat an early dinner (around 5) and if I start getting hungry again after dinner, I just go to bed.

It's still a bit hard, because I WANT to eat. But it's not from being hungry- Just out of habit.

And as far as the 208 thing goes- Everything I have read has said you should be 100lbs over weight. I figure you'd have to be pretty short to have a recommended weight of 108- I didn't mean it's not heavy- Just that it's not THAT heavy. I got down to 200 once a few years ago and it felt awesome! I am 5'3, so it was far from fit, but better than the 240-245 I am now.

No offense was intended.

im 5ft1 barely. my bmi is 40. the doc said i was at the perfect state to get this done. the smallest ive been is 160. that may seem great to some people but at my height it was still about 50lbs over weight.

im 5ft1 barely. my bmi is 40. the doc said i was at the perfect state to get this done. the smallest ive been is 160. that may seem great to some people but at my height it was still about 50lbs over weight.

Well, I hope if you decide to get the surgery, you have great sucsess with it. I have a friend that is about your height, (she's so cute! Lol) and was freaking out because she had gained 10lbs- She said that at that height, any added pounds show up.

Let us know what you decide! Best of luck :thumbup:)

thanks you've been a help

Its a huge change in your life, not in a bad way but please do not get the band if you are not ready to change your eating habits. Eating can be a hobby that you are not ready to give up. If that is the case, your just not ready or maybe the lap band is not right for you. I'm glad you said you are looking at other alternatives.

I always say "I wish I had done it years ago", but it was available years ago and I never did it, so obviously I wasn't ready. Take your time, do your research, make sure you are committed to what you choose to do and choose what is best for you personally.

Ya im not allowed to eat meat! lol :thumbup: so sad cause i love meat lol

I can have two shakes and a lean cuisine.. then greens leafs in between and sugar free jello/popsicles.

When I look at Your age....20 and think back to myself at that age.....I can't help thinking about how different my life whould have been if I had had the opportunity to be a normal weight. Flash forward to 26 years later....26 years of being fat and miserable. You just can't get that time back. This takes a lifestyle change, and a lot of commitment on your part. if you feel you are mature enough, and commited enough, then by all means do it. If you are not sure yet, then maybe wait a few years and then re-evaluate where you are in your life. The option for the surgery will stiil be here. But don't wait 26 years! Good luck in your decision.

thanks you've been a help

What are your goals for surgery in terms of health, weight and quality of life?