Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on the 28th feeling sore

Hi all

I had my band fitted yesterday, the op went fine but boy I'm in pain, it seems to be in the middle just under my breast bone and goes in to my back, my tummy is very swollen how long will this last? I have just had a protien drink, could only manage a bit, but Water goes down better. I do feel hungry but I dont if you kno what I mean.

many thanks

Cathy x

I know exactly how you feel. The pain is normal. You'll have pain from the surgery itself and from the gas that they filled your abdominal cavity with. It's hard to say how long it will last. As far as the gas pains, they could last a couple days or a couple weeks. Everyone is different. What helps the most with that is try to move around as much as possible and get yourself some chewable gas-x or the gas-x strips that dissolve on your tongue. I also heard that a heating pad is good for the gas pains but I didn't try it. Mine weren't unbearable, for the most part. Feel better!

Hi Amy

Thanks for your reply, I do have a heat pad so i will try that out, Its only been just over 24 hours so I'm bound to have some pain.. just been on the scales and I have gained 3 pounds, it must be the swelling? I have not eaten a dam thing.

Cathy x

Hi Amy

Thanks for your reply, I do have a heat pad so i will try that out, Its only been just over 24 hours so I'm bound to have some pain.. just been on the scales and I have gained 3 pounds, it must be the swelling? I have not eaten a dam thing.

Cathy x

You're quite welcome!

It's definitely swelling. You're retaining fluids. I'm sure they had you on an IV, right? That's all it is. Wait a couple days before you step on the scale again. Just concentrate on healing. :redface:

Thank you so much Amy.

Yes your right I did have IV. i will wait a week before getting on the scales, in the meantime I will just concentrate on getting better.

Cathy x

Welcome to bandland Cathy. I was banded on the 27th. I came out of anesthesia early while my incubator was still in and started vomiting. So my throat is very sore. I also have the gas pains and rumbling in my stomach right after a meal. But I feel full. I also have the weight gain effect but I'm not worried at all.

My fear now is that my arms, legs, and neck feel very week. I haven't had very

much to eat since Monday afternoon. I hope as I keep working on the proten shakes that my strength will return. My port site is a little sore but now it's just the gas and muscle weakness that's bothering me. I'm going to take a walk today.

Yeah me too!

Hi Teburgess.

Hope your feeling better soon, I to woke up while the tube was in my throat, I felt it beinf taken out, but wasnt sick just have a sore throat, I to feel weak and tired..

good luck Teberguss

Cathy

I had my banding surgery yesterday too. Man sometimes I wonder how I got here. It all seemed to go by fast.

I have the same issue with gas pain/pressure in my chest cavity. Hard to take really deep breaths. I have been able to drink a bit today. took about a 1/2hour to get the protien shake down. But it did get down there. Some strange sensations maybe it is going through the band.

They found and repaired a hernia while getting the band put in. I guess that is a 2 for 1... :-).

I am really really looking forward to feeling better and getting to soft foods in a couple weeks.

All the best to you and the recent banders...

Tony

I was banded yesterday too, outpatient. Very little pain, but I am taking my meds anyway. I have had the hickups quite often since surgery which is not pleasent. Other than that just hungry for something different. Best of luck in your progress.

I had my banding surgery yesterday too. Man sometimes I wonder how I got here. It all seemed to go by fast.

I have the same issue with gas pain/pressure in my chest cavity. Hard to take really deep breaths. I have been able to drink a bit today. took about a 1/2hour to get the protien shake down. But it did get down there. Some strange sensations maybe it is going through the band.

They found and repaired a hernia while getting the band put in. I guess that is a 2 for 1... :-).

I am really really looking forward to feeling better and getting to soft foods in a couple weeks.

All the best to you and the recent banders...

Tony

Tony, I am sorry to hear you had a hernia repair. My surgeon had me sign a consent so he could repair one if he found it. I was lucky and did not have one. He did have to remove alot of fat from around the stomach so that he could suture the stomach around the band.

I have those strange sensations as you drink... we will get used to it. Or it may just be from the swelling in the chest.

I am glad actually that others have the same sensations as me.

Hey TeBurgess,

It would be nice to stay in touch with another fella.

How big were you when you went in?

I am 6'3". I started my pre-op liquid diet at 325 and weighed in yesterday before the surgery at 304.

I have been able to loose weight via diet and excercise. Heck about two years ago I was only 260. But keeping it off is always the challenge. I took this big step in the hopes I can stay committed and get to a good weight and maintain. I am hoping to get down to say 220 to 230 and I would be quite pleased.

Is the soreness getting any better? As the day goes along I seem to be doing a bit better. Still might take some of that narcotic liquid med about bed time.

stay strong.

Banded 27th (with hernia repair) and still sore... but the soreness has changed today... The worst today is around the port site and my lungs still hurt when I take a deep breath. Coughed up some NASTY stuff yesterday.. Also having some muscle pain in my leg which freaks me out cause I keep thinking I have a blood clot. I went to the store today and walked around which helped a lot.

As far as eating (or drinking rather) I am only doing clear liquids- I couldn't even fathom drinking a Protein shake! The Protein shooter/bullet things are easy for me 3oz.. 45 grams protein. I also went to GNC today and bought some more of those figure I'll try some other flavors.

OK I am rambling.... LOL

Hi all you new bandsters! I was banded the 19th, and want to let you know that feeling better is just around the corner :thumbup:.

The first several days it was just as you are all describing. Heck, I didn't even check my computer for the 1st 3 days home after spending 2 days in the hospital. Day 6 was still rough, but the turning point came at Day 7, and I am feeling exponentially better each day to where today, Day 11 I feel mostly normal. I know its difficult struggling through a protien shake [it took me more that 3 hours to get one down!], but take the time to rest and heal. Sip you liquids, walk and sleep. In no time flat you'll be right as rain. :redface:

Hey Everyone-I was banded on the 27th and I am so happy to know everything that is going on with me is normal! No matter how much I read and people told me about the gas pain I still wasn't prepared for how bad it would really be. I stayed in the hospital the first night and everything was fine, but I had a really bad reaction to the pain meds they gave me and spent about 4 hours throwing up last night...awesome first night home! I am having a hard time with liquids today...they stay down fine, I just don't want them..everything also has a plastic-y after taste (maybe from the meds or anesthesia?).

Congrats to everyone...it does get a little better every day!

Danielle