Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting back on track?

wow thank you so much Ladytuscanny and SlimSly! I am moved by yall's support. Originally when i had the surgery-i was told about this online support groups-like these, but never tried them, with the attitude "ah-i'll be alright-I can do it without talking to others" but i realize that was a weak mindset now.

Your advice really helped SlimSly! Now, what type of Protein Shake would you recommend? I looked up lapband diet-and they mentioned what I have been doing as bad (obviously) b/c it could stretch the "lapband pouch" now I am afraid of that! Is that "fixable" with getting a filling? or will it go down overtime? or will an adjustment of the procedure/band only fix that?

sorry to be so needy of info-but i figured-I am the lowest on the totem poll in terms of knowledge on here! lol Thanks for reading!

Hairagain you are absolutely right about self-destruction! I feel the same way! Like "why did i eat that-now I feel so miserable-and I knew that i would before i did it!" WHY WHY WHY!!!!

Freebird, have you thought about Water weight? Are you retaining water? Perhaps you should lower your salt intake and increase your water intake. Also remember, that just because the scale shows know signs of weightloss, you could have lost fat but replaced it with some of that mucles mass in your strong (and sexy) legs!!! Good luck!

lol now that I have found this thread, I do plan to become very involved in it in order to become a stronger link the the support chain not only for myself but others lol. I feel bad about all of yalls setbacks but am inspired by the little wins that all of you are seeing (like back to walking a mile everyday again). It is that kind of stuff that i need to accomplish-little steps. n i dont know wat my problem is: i jus cant stop eating crap! and i know how to eat healthy/and well. on good days-i drink about a gallon of Water a day, have 4/5 small meals of lean Protein, complex carbs, fruit, low-fat dairy, etc. but I still self-sabatoge. I think mine is seriusly mental-and I have even sought free counseling at my college for it (which didnt help bc im so off-topic). anyway i cant seem to stop eating junkfood: chips, pizza, Cookies, chocoloate-and everytime i do-it makes me sick b/c my body does not want the garbage that my mind does! help!!! and thanks for letting me vent! lol

I use and like the the slim Fast shakes called Low Carb diet. They have 20 gr. of protien. Also have 190 calories. Taste pretty good. I like to get them really cold, like in the freezer for an hour or so, (set a timer or I forget and they explode, trust me on this :tt2: then I put it in my blender and whip it till it is frothy and sip it out of of a nice glass. It makes me feel special. However, somedays when time is short I down it from the can, in my car. I buy them at Sam's club. Cheapest there of all the places I checked.

I have been doing pretty well. I have lost but will not weigh till tomorrow at my docs appointment. I will report results then.

I had to have a unfill and then a barrium test to see if my pouch had stretched and I ate like a pig at times so you may be okay too. Just go slow and start over. The Protein drink is a great idea though. I sometimes will drink two a day. I feel like I am once again getting on the right track. I need to excercise more however, just watched my 3 grandkids for 10 days and chasing the 2 yr old was no small trick. I am not a young person anymore and he makes this old granny have to keep on her toes.

Thanks to you all. It is such a pleasure getting these posts from you all. Makes me not feel so alone out

hi. sorry to hear that you are not doing well... I am not either.. Most of you DID lose weight on the onset but I only lost about ten. I have had a lot of disappointments in life since then and one of them is the center where I went wasn't very supportive at all. I have been trying to do this on my own for 3 years and almost feel like giving up. I started at 220 and not sure if I am back to that again or not. I went into a chat room and boy did they rake me over the coals.. sad in itself that they didn't try to help.

Can I ask anyone that feels like helping me to tell me what you eat and any advice and tips you can offer? I didn't know there was a name for food I have been eating.. sliders? I can't eat meat or too much of anything that is healthy.... I am very frustrated. I paid cash and they didn't even try to get me paid by insurance.... I still kept positive. I didn't even know that we could get banded for free until a year! Now I have to pay 200 dollars.. that stinks. I only had one fill!

Please help...

Cyndra

KikiVal I admire you so much! and ur baby is so cute! yes i agree it is difficult-getting back on track after a long vacay from it. Maybe you can incorporate more vigurous play with your 8mo old? i am sure that (He-right?) is a handful-and running everywhere. Perhaps mentally noticing/encouraging yourself to keep up with him-or make him keep up with you will add a little extra exercise into your daily routine. I hate exercise too-I wish that we all lived nearby one another-and we could grind this stupid exercise crap out together!!! lol Man do I need a workout partner BAD!!!! lol

Msc, I find the best place to resist that stuff is at the store. I make a practice of never eating alone if possible. It keeps me accountable. I love to just graze my way through the cupboards. If I have a rule that I never eat without having someone with me, I seem to do better. I fail sometimes but it sort of is becoming habit.

I also shared this with my husband so now I am afraid he will catch me eatng alone and question me. hang in there, this is a life time of bad habits we need to change. It will not be easy or quick, but it is worth it and so are you (we)

atleast you know how much your band is at! i havent been in over four years! so i dont even know about cc's and # etc. I just know that I totally agree with you! I sit around and think about how I can cheat my band too! and how much I exercise. I used to say that i wud only watch tv when working out in order to motivate myself-but then i just stopped watching tv!!! lol wtheck? lol stuff like that is wat gets me; i try to discipline myself-but also cheat myself at the same time. It is a cycle of self-defeat. Gagh!!! wat to do! lol we need bootcamp sgt. to come in and drill the excuses out of us! lol (but I dont like being yelled at! hahaha)

Truthfully MSC, I do not really know or care what my band has or not. I just know it helps me and I love it. If I work it it works. If I try to beat the system it continues to beat me. Yes, it is hard to resist but it is baby steps. Today, just for now, one or two hours be free from eating,Anything. You CAN do this, and so can I. Just for one hour.

Truthfully MSC, I do not really know or care what my band has or not. I just know it helps me and I love it. If I work it it works. If I try to beat the system it continues to beat me. Yes, it is hard to resist but it is baby steps. Today, just for now, one or two hours be free from eating,Anything. You CAN do this, and so can I. Just for one hour.

Hey guys, I try little tricks not to eat like not watching tv and doing activities using my hands like reading a book because I have to hold it and I find it difficult to eat and read or crocheting. These are activities I enjoy so I do them to keep my hands busy and mind occupied with something other than food even though these are sedentary activities a least I'm not eating.

Oh and about the type of Protein I use EAS AvantEdge carb controlled 110 cals 17 grams of protein I buy them from Walmart 4 for $5, or when I just need to boost my protein count and use whey Protein Shots 110 cals 26 grams of protein also from Walmart 6 for $9. My doctor is fanatical about the amount of protein I intake. So I try hard to get at least 60 grams per day, he said 80-100 but I think he was a little ticked with me that day because I said I wasn't doing any protein. However, now I try to get at least 60-80 grams a day. Next sometimes you need to give your band a break so I will do a liquid diet for a day or two then do purée for a day or two and believe it or not you will start feeling better and see a difference in your food intake after that, I think that will help your band adjust to doing what it is suppose to do. If you stop eating slider foods you will be amazed in how quickly you will notice weight lost. I also remind myself that the band is a tool and to get the best out of any tool you have to use it the way it was intended to be used. I also think it is important to know the status of your band for instance I was banded 7/08 I now have 8cc's in an 10cc band starting weight 239lbs current 153lbs goal 145lbs, we don't want to be in denial, to get where we are going we have to look at our selves with determination and head straight down the path, yeah we are going to stumble and deviate from the the path but we want to keep it in site so we can get back on the path and know where we are going. Okay I'll shut up now, tomorrow I'll be in here crying (lol). Just remember cheat the band, you only end up cheating yourself. Keep up the hard work everyone.

hi. sorry to hear that you are not doing well... I am not either.. Most of you DID lose weight on the onset but I only lost about ten. I have had a lot of disappointments in life since then and one of them is the center where I went wasn't very supportive at all. I have been trying to do this on my own for 3 years and almost feel like giving up. I started at 220 and not sure if I am back to that again or not. I went into a chat room and boy did they rake me over the coals.. sad in itself that they didn't try to help.

Can I ask anyone that feels like helping me to tell me what you eat and any advice and tips you can offer? I didn't know there was a name for food I have been eating.. sliders? I can't eat meat or too much of anything that is healthy.... I am very frustrated. I paid cash and they didn't even try to get me paid by insurance.... I still kept positive. I didn't even know that we could get banded for free until a year! Now I have to pay 200 dollars.. that stinks. I only had one fill!

Please help...

Cyndra

Hi Cyndra,

I'm very sorry you had a rough in a chat room. I sincerely hope it was not this one. :tt2: I think some people take the constructive criticism to the extreme. Sometimes that type of approach is not the proper response. Not everyone will find that helpful, as I see it was in your case.

I'm here to tell you, there is always another chance to do it right. Do NOT give up!! I don't think you came into this in the mindset that you intended to fail. In my personal opinion it sounds more like you were not provided the proper information to make your band work for you.

First of all, I'm going to be honest here. IMO, if you cannot eat properly or healthy then I think you are too tight. You should still be able to eat healthy solid food always. My Surgeon always stressed that to me. He hated the fact that I became too tight myself because he tried to avoid that. But, truth be told I could never be tight enough.

Well that caused some physical issues for me, most especially acid reflux. I would cough it up all night and I was just plain miserable. I lived like that for 8 months!! It became a vicious cycle because I started to gain my weight back, but I was fearful of getting some removed. One reason was because I was afraid I'd start eating too much, and secondly I was embarrassed and I didn't want my surgeon to know. I finally could not take it anymore so I had some removed.

Long story short, I ended up gaining more back than I had ever dreamed or wanted. But you know what? I woke up one day and said, I needed to get my butt back into gear and that's exactly what I did!

So, don't you dare give up!! You have already passed the point of no return. You had surgery to get that weight off, now... take it off! The band is only going to keep you from eating too much. You still have to eat the proper foods and you still have to get to burning some extra calories you wouldn't normally burn just living life.

If you need someone to help you along the way I'm ALWAYS available. Take care and let us know how you are doing. :)

Just had another fill of 0.6 cc, back to 5.6 cc total. I was at 6.3 cc when I had a band slip back in February. So, with that being said, I am in the hopes that this fill begins the much needed restriction process and the scale starts back down. I have put on 12 pounds and do not feel good about it whatsoever. The physician was quite supportive today and so am feeling a bit better right now.