Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you follow the pre-op diet strictly?

Hi - I had LAP-BAND®® surgery five days ago (Tuesday, April 6). I've been following the clear liquid diet pretty strictly so far was was told to do so until week 2 when I can transition to the full liquid diet (yogurt, pudding, milk, Protein shakes). Did any of you start the full liquid diet early and had trouble with it? I want to avoid any chance of nausea/regurgitation but I'm eager to try the fuller liquids now and am even hoping to start the softer food diet early too (maybe three days early). Can anyone share their experience? Thanks!

-jenwan

Edited by jenwan

I followed mine exactly, but my post op diet was different than yours. Most people here will likely recommend that you follow your doctor's orders exactly in order to heal properly.

I'd recommend giving them a call and asking if you can change over sooner-- tell them how you're feeling and see if they think it's ok. They have a reason for their recommendations, based on good experience.

Try to stick it out!

I'm with Jen. While I wouldn't recommend advancing your diet early without input from your doctor, I would suggest calling the office and asking. Many times, people get the green light to move ahead.

I did mine to the T - liquids for 2 weeks but that also included thin Soups like tomatoe and Jello -

then mushie for 2 weeks,, pudding, yogurt,mashed potatoes,tuna and deviled ham ect ect,

then onto regular food

I followed my Dr.'s advice to the letter, but mine wasn't as strict as yours. I was supposed to do 3 days of Clear Liquids, then 2 weeks of full liquids, then 2 weeks of mushies and then progress from soft to all as tolerated.

When I went to the dr. at week 2 for a checkup I was asked how I was doing and told to go ahead and progress to mushies if I wanted to, but go slow, if the mushies went well (which they did) I could start the soft in a week and progress as I was comfortable. After I get a fill I repeat the process, only shortened to 3 days at each phase unless I need more time.

I was lucky... my doctor put me immediately on full liquids for two weeks. I did fudge and moved to mushies after about 8 days when I was feeling better.

Hi Guys,

Jenwan you must be starving. Clear liquids for two weeks I don't believe this is necessary. The only reason you are on liquids post surgery is to allow the band to form scar tissue between itself and the stomach and to consolidate its position.

I always recommend clear fluids for the day of the surgery, then free fluids up until week 2 and then transition slowly onto solid food.

Regurgitation will only occur if you you take too much volume per mouthful, swallow too quickly and not chew your food properly.

I also would recommend that you clarify with your doctor but I believe they are being far too strict.

Good luck

Bariatric Dietitian

Helen Bauzon

Welcome to globalgastricbandsolutions.com.au

Thanks everyone for your replies! It's interesting to see how the recommended post-op diets vary dr to dr.

Helen - I would love to follow your recommended diet, lol!

I spoke with the drs office today and they said I can transition a couple days early each week and just reiterated that they enforce their protocol to ensure a smooth and proper healing process. I will try to be more patient :thumbup:

-jenwan

Thanks everyone for your replies! It's interesting to see how the recommended post-op diets vary dr to dr.

Helen - I would love to follow your recommended diet, lol!

I spoke with the drs office today and they said I can transition a couple days early each week and just reiterated that they enforce their protocol to ensure a smooth and proper healing process. I will try to be more patient :thumbup:

-jenwan

Hi Jenwan,

It is always best to discuss things with your doctor. My theory about weight loss with the band is simple:

(1) Understand how the Lap Band works. (most people miss understand this)

(2) Chew your food to a mush. It takes more than 20 chews.

(3) Focus on the texture - solid and dry food and enjoy eating a little of everything

We know what to eat to lose weight most times, but it is another thing getting through the Lap band and understanding why sometimes it fails to do so smoothly. It is lots of fun as you learn every day on your journey.

Chat soon

Helen Bauzon

Bariatric Dietitian

Welcome to globalgastricbandsolutions.com.au