Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not a Newbie - exactly.

Hi All! I've been banded since 7/4/09 but I only got good restriction 6 weeks ago. Since then, I've lost 8 pounds and I'm feeling really good about it! It took so long and so many fills to get restriction that I was getting really down on myself. That being said, I'm very happy now!

My question is this: Because I'm new to restriction I've noticed that there are some days when my band seems to be tighter than others. Is this normal? I know about being tighter in the mornings for many people (which I am) but over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed that some days I will be much tighter all day and others not so much. It's fine with me, I just wanted to see if anyone else is having this too? :confused:

weight.png

Yep, totally normal. Sometimes, I can pinpoint a reason (ovulation, period). Other times, it's a mystery!

Tish - I see you're from Noblesville. I had my surgery there. Can I ask who you doctor is? I went to Dr. McEwen. He only adds 1cc ea month. So far I've only had 1 fill and go back next month for a 2nd. I feel a little restriction, but haven't really lost much weight since the fill.

Hi Tish :confused: You've posted on my thread this morning, thanks for your words of support i appreciate it, was just wondering how many fills you have had and how much is in your band now and probably a very stupid question but how do you know you are restricted ie what does it feel like

Sorry for all your questions but it would be really helpfull to know

To bh126: I think Dr. McEwen is a great surgeon - he did my laparascopic cholecystectomy about 9 years ago (gall bladder removal). I was seriously considering having him do my Band placement too, but I had some real trouble with one of his staff members. My insurance will NOT pay for the band, it and all weight loss surgeries are specifically excluded, and I knew that. His coordinator (can't remember her name) was really sweet and she confirmed that my insurance wouldn't pay. BUT, then another staff member (a male) called to tell me it WAS covered. I explained to him that it was not (my husband's company specificall excluded it for all employees and spouses with their coverage) and he really argued with me. I had some inside information that another person had had this done to them with this office (I don't know if it was the same male employee) and that they had to go ahead and pay all of the out of pocket pre-surgical testing (psych, sleep study, etc.) and found out 3 days prior to surgery that their insurance would not pay after all. I don't know if that guy is getting kick backs from the money that is spent on pre-surgical testing or what exactly, but I wasn't going for it. ULTIMATELY, I did extensive research and opted to have Dr. Ariel Ortiz perform my Band surgery in Tijuana Mexico on 7/4/09. I work in the medical field and I was VERY CAREFUL to research the MD and the facility & staff prior to making my decision. I AM EXTREMELY GLAD I DID. I got better care there than I have here in the US. I paid out of pocket and the total was about $7,000. For Dr. McEwen it would have been between $15,000-$22,000, depending upon circumstances, and this did not include pre-op testing that was required. Dr. Ortiz does "free fills for life" but the travel back to MX is cost-prohibitive. SO, I use the Fill Centers USA (Which Dr. Ortiz helped to found) in Cincinnati OH. (It's the closest location). The doc there really listens to me and does adjustments accordingly. Right now I have 7.2cc in my 11cc band. I believe that I'm VERY NEAR my "sweet spot" with restriction. I've had 4 fills in total. I'm extremely happy with my decision. :thumbup:

Hi to Shell1: You are most welcome for the support - we've all needed it and will continue to from time to time. I have 7.2ccs in my 11cc band. I have had 4 fills. I feel very good with the restriction that I have now and I'm hoping to need another fill in about 6-8 weeks. (Because I hope to lose enough weight - fat around the band- to need another fill). I can't believe how getting to the good restriction has changed my life. I too wondered how you would know about "good restriction". Well, once you get it, you know! To me good restriction is feeling like I can't eat anymore after having eaten a small portion of food. Of course, I've pushed the limits on that and have had to bring the food back up - to relieve the pain. You certainly shouldn't do that very often, due to the risk of stretching the pouch or slipping the band. I've finally experienced PBing (productive burping) and sliming (over production of saliva in the mouth and throat when something gets "stuck") and neither of those things is fun. My band is "tighter" in the morning, so that's when I drink my Protein Shake, and the rest of the day I can eat small portions of foods pretty easily. The things that "don't go down" for me (get stuck in the band area immediately) are breads - any kinds. One day I'd had a bad day and tried to revert to old habits and eat a waffle with Peanut Butter on it. It was not good. I ate one bite and was stuck and had to PB. I stupidly tried another bite after that and the same thing happened. So, I dumped the waffle and got some cottage cheese and lean turkey - which went down just fine. I was a carbohydrate addict, so not being able to eat bread items has helped me a lot - even though it was hard getting used to it. I'm so happy to be on this journey, I hope you are too!

Tish - Sorry to hear your friend had so much trouble at Dr. McEwen's office. I believe they have had a lot of turnover with their staff over the past couple of years. My daughter was banded by him 2 years ago and she had some problems with making appointments, but nothing to bad. She was also a self-pay. I am happy so far with the support I've received from their staff. Maybe they've finally gotten it together.

Good Luck in the future!