Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Bandsters - When did or are you going back to work?

I know this might be a goofy question but I'm trying to plan my time off. My surgery is scheduled for the 22nd, which is a Monday. I had planned to take the 22nd and 23rd off (obviously) but make an attempt to come into the office on the third day. Am I nuts? LOL! I have a feeling I'll be working from home, but I wanted to see what everyone else did. I've heard stories from 2 days off to full weeks. I'd like to hear it from real bandsters. I'm trying to figure out what to expect.

As a side note, I have a desk job, so it's not that intense. And I tend to heal fairly quickly after surgery. When I had both of my children, I was up within 20 minutes and out of the hospital in 24 hours. I couldn't stand to just sit around.

So, what did you do? (Or are going to do?)

I had my last wednesday, so almost a week now. I went back to work the day after and felt miserable. I would recommend giving yourself until atleast that Thurs or Friday because you will be feeling some level of discomfort. I was on pain med for the first 3 days and wished I would have taken the whole week off to recover. Guess it just will depend on how you are feeling, but more than likely you will want to lay down and rest most of that week. Good luck to you and you'll do great. 7 days out and 10 lbs down! :wub:

I have a desk job and honestly could have gone back to work the day of surgery. I was uncomfortable with the gas but nothing that would have impeded my ability to do my job.

I took a week off anyways.

I had surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday. I do home daycare and I had some restrictions as far as lifting. By a week after my surgery, I was back in full swing.

I had mine on Thursday went back to work yesterday Monday. It made for a very emotional day. Today is better. Off of pain meds now. So to answer your question 4 days after surgurey would have been better for me any way.

Oh yea.. well I had 6 weeks off!:wub: I work as a CNA and there is no way I was going back to work too soon. Take whatever time you need at the beginning.

I went back to work after 2 days of being off. Bad idea! I should have taken off the week to heal. I was okay but very sore and the meds made me loopy so I should have taken off anyway.:wub:

I am a nurse that stands, lifts, and walks often, and have been off for 14 days so far. I was scheduled to go back this week but because of the port incision still being sore (4/10 pain), I decided to go back next week. Take more time if you need it. If I had a desk job, I probably could have gone back 1 week later.

Hi! I had my band surgery on Wed 3/10/10. I have a desk job and mentioned to the pre-surgery Psychologist (required by my insurance) that I planned to take about a week off and then go back part-time for another week.

She STRONGLY suggested that I take as much time off as I possibly can - at least several weeks. She pointed out that it is not just the physical recovery, but the emotional & psychological adjustment, all that drinking, walking, getting ourselves and our families in a completely different mode and lifestyle than we knew before.

I know that sounds a little dramatic :wub: but I realized that there’s a reason I ate myself to 120 lb overweight because it was the easiest thing I enjoyed doing for myself. I have worked full-time my entire life and have never taken significant time off to be ALONE (during the day when hubby and kids are away) with no serious agenda.

I realize I am fortunate to have a lot of accumulated leave time, and I was able to catch up on my workload prior to surgery, and <confession> brought a little work home, and can keep in touch by email. I'm also VERY fortunate to have a supportive boss and co-workers, and a job with some flexibility where I can do some work at home if emergencies arise.

I also have a health-insurance-mandated weight-loss coach that I speak to weekly by phone. She also advised that I use my time off to think about what I want in my future, and who I want this healthier person to be 10-20 years from now. In other words, I got multiple recommendations to do a lot of deep soul-searching while I'm off. (but maybe that's because I need more help than most people!) LOL

Anyway... I have scheduled 2.5 weeks off full-time, then 2 weeks part-time. I have videos, and books, and a small list of low-impact household projects and gardening.

Overall I think the two practitioners make good suggestions to permit yourself some down-time just to be good to yourself.

But I know that everyone's jobs and situations are different, so whatever you decide, take care of yourself and good luck in your journey!!

[No ticker yet but currently down -13 lbs in 13 days since pre-surgery liquid diet]

I will be taking off 3 weeks. I don't want to be here at work, where I work with all men, and be on a liquid diet and have no bathroom anywhere near me. I get 12 weeks short term leave so I'm going to use as much as I can. My boss and supervisor told me to take as long as I need. Which is awesome! I agree with Kaype, my life is going to dramatically change with one surgery. I'm already an emotional person, I don't need to be sitting at my desk crying and freak out the guys I work with. LOL. I also work 11 hr days so I don't think I'd be ready to sit here that long within a week.

If you have the time available to you, take a week. If nothing else, read two or three books that you have been wanting to read. Your brain will be glad that you did!

I was banded on a Thursday and went back to work on Monday. I also have a desk job and probably could have went back to work after a couple of days. Good luck!

I am a nurse. Surgery on a Tuesday. Went back to work the following Monday and was fine.

I was told 3 days, but I took a full week sandwiched by weekends. I am a teacher and on my feet most of the day, but I just felt like crap and wondered if I'd ever feel well. I returned to work and eventually felt 100%, but it took time.

I returned, very part-time, right away--the day after surgery. But I have a very flexible job that can be done from home.

If I had a more traditional job, I really would have liked 10 days or so.