Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all vegetarians............

Hi,

I am trying to find any vegetarian support group on this website? Can't find one. If you are vegetarian please let me know what you eat in a day? I am not losing weight and part of the problem is being vegetarian because I can't find foods which are not slider and keep me full. I eat rice, lentils and bread mainly. I do Protein Shakes daily.

Please, share your ideas, menus, successes, failures and recipes here to help me with my plateu.

I am heading that way.... Make sure you are eating whole grains Legumes are good.... steamed veggies..... And I will get more advisement Monday I go into see my Nut so I will ask more... do you eat eggs, dairy , poultry or fish? or are you Vegan. ??? I would lay off the bread for the most part.

I stopped eating meat after my lap band surgery because meat would always get stuck and make me feel sick. Every morning I have a Fiber one english muffin with Peanut Butter. I find the Peanut Butter really "sticks to your ribs" and keeps me full all morning. For lunch I might have so Kashi Cereal mixed with a non-fat yogurt (there's Protein in both the Kashi Cereal and the yogurt). And for dinner I will make a salad with some vinegar/low-cal dressing with some cottage cheese on top.

Other vegetarian things that keep me full:

A toasted pita with hummus

Bananas, apples, pears and other high-fiber fruits

Granola bars

oatmeal

popcorn (I've never had a stuck issue with popcorn, although I know a lot of bandsters have)

Whole grain Pasta with marinara sauce

Steamed veggies

Brown Rice

I would say if you are a big bread person, definitely convert to whole grains. If the first ingredient on the label reads "whole" - like "whole wheat flour" - then its a whole grain. It makes a world of difference in keeping you fuller for longer.

I do eat egg but I dont like eating every day. Besides if egg is fried, boiled or scrambled it gets stuck so I have to eat like egg salad with mayo in it. I will try to eat more whole grain legumes as you said.

I have also switched to whole wheat bread which tastes like cardboard so if you have any suggestions which bread type tastes good let me know.

i like weight watchers whole wheat bread. it's 90 calories for 2 slices, and you can't do much better than that.

you need to experiment with different kinds of beans; black Beans, pinto Beans, navy beans, garbanzo beans(what they make hummus with), etc, beans are going to stick with you and when combined with a rice like brown rice, it is a complete Protein.

All the carbs you are eating are causing you to crash, blood sugar wise which are naturally going to make your insulin spike and cause hunger. If you were linking your carbs with Protein (a 30:15 ratio is usually recommended), your insulin would spike less and you would stay full often. Beans should also not be getting stuck to bad.

What about tofu? I like it and I am not even a vegetarian. You need to check out your whole foods market. Are you one of those vegetarians that eat a little bit of chicken or fish? Dairy also has protein in it and Greek yogurt is the highest, or some cheese and nuts are also good protein Snacks.

the post about the Beans got me hungry! haha, i posted a link to this awesome rachel ray recipe. its so easy and its delicious. i eat it plain, and its an excellent source of Protein. you can spicen it up with any types of seasonings you like. i love it!

Black Bean and Corn salad Recipe : Rachael Ray : food Network

No, I dont eat chicken or fish. In the past I have tried few bites of chicken but I dont like to eat it anymore. I do love me some Beans but I eat 1-2 times a week only, may be I need to make it a daily affair. I like tofu some but not whole lot, I will try experimenting with it. Greek yogurt dosen't fill me up unless I eat 2-3 for a snack. I think i need a fill desperately, I have appt for march 22nd.

RedSox90, where do you buy weight watchers bread, I didn't see it here in mississippi. The Beans and corn recipe is sooo good, I am going to try it. Thx.

Edited by esv2000

i am from boston, and they stock weight watchers bread in all the local supermarkets. stop and shop has the widest stock, but i don;t know if that chain extends down south. weight watchers is relatively inexpensive too for "diet" bread. that and the "Fiber One" brand of bread are the best.

if you can't find it at the supermarket, maybe you could try online? it could be worth it.

I haven't had beef or pork in over 20 years, but I am not a vegetarian. I eat very little chicken or turkey and eat tons of fish.

That said, I eat like a vegetarian 90% of the time. :)

Make tofu, seitan and Morningstar Farms/Boca products your friends. It is worth the investment to buy a bunch of varieties and figure out which ones you like. They sell them at all major grocery stores including Trader Joe's.

It is tough to move away from a mostly carb-based diet, but the suggestions offered here are good ones. There are tons of great vegetarian recipes on allrecipes.com and vegetariantimes.com.

Good luck!

kagead