Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 1.4.10 - Am I A Complete Failure?

I'm at a low point. I was banded seven weeks ago (1.4.10), had one fill of 4 cc's in my 10 cc band, lost 19.5 pounds and then last week started getting SO HUNGRY, wanting to eat everything. Gained back 4.5 pounds.

I had my second fill today, bumping me up to 5.5 cc's in my 10 cc band. I'm on liquids today, tomorrow and Saturday and I AM SO HUNGRY. I want to eat everything. I wasn't hungry at all after my last fill.

Have I just spent all this time, money and emotional energy on something that isn't working for me? I'm panic-stricken. I was so convinced this would be the thing that made the difference.

Is this part of the normal progression, or am I in dangerous territory? Please tell me, I really could use some insight here.

It's totally normal. I had a similar experience and felt exactly like you do. Everyone on the site was very helpful and I hope you look around and find what others have posted the same sentiment. I had no real restriction and felt starving much of the time until my 2nd fill. Once I got it right, the pounds started peeling off. I'm 4 weeks past my 2nd fill and I have lost 21 lbs in that time alone!!! You can do it too.

Moxie,

What you are feeling is COMPLETELY normal! After my first 2 fills I had no restriction at all and wondered the same things you're wondering....had I made a huge mistake, was I cheating the band and myself? What was wrong with me that I wasn't feeling this "restriction" that everyone was talking about, and then.....I got my 3rd fill...(everyone kept saying it takes 3 or 4 fills....sometimes more....to get to a point where you have restriction) and after my 3rd fill 3 weeks ago, I definitely had restriction. You will get there...just be patient with yourself and trust the band to work (when you work with it!!!) DO be very careful about eating everything though...try keeping a journal and tracking calories and times you are eating. If you're starving make healthy choices (I KNOW easier said than done) so you don't get to the point of ordering 3 big macs and then feeling guilty afterwards! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!:eek: I promise it's worth it all!!!

Totally normal for the band. I think that the hardest thing about the band during the beginning is the emotional rollercoaster of losing weight fast for a little while, then slow, then regain, then fast loss again, then whatever. The rate of loss seems to fluctuate A LOT as we are in the stage of not quite having proper restriction yet.

For me, I try not to focus on what I lost today, yesterday, or last week because at any point in time, that may be depressing. For example, I just went 10 days where my weight went up 4 pounds and then came back down 5 (happened to be my time of the month so maybe Water retention). As positive as I try to be about this whole process, I can't say that this didn't mess w/mind a little. But, I really really try to focus on my overall average loss since surgery instead of today's, yesterday's, or last week's. And, I also try to focus on the things I can control (such as how much I exercise and eliminating empty calories).

There's nothing I can do about getting to restriction faster except to make the appointments for fills, but everything else I can work on in the meantime.

Oh, I also don't change my weight on my ticker when my weight goes up. The way I see it, when I lose to a certain number, I claim it. If I see a higher number later, I consider that a fluctuation that will come down again. Maybe this is just a mental game I'm playing w/myself, but I think it would drive me more crazy if I changed my ticker every time I go up and then back down.

Have I just spent all this time, money and emotional energy on something that isn't working for me? I'm panic-stricken. I was so convinced this would be the thing that made the difference.

Is this part of the normal progression, or am I in dangerous territory? Please tell me, I really could use some insight here.

You're normal. Until you get some restriction, that band is just a piece of plastic. It doesn't impart any magical properties just from being installed.

Don't stress about not losing. Just try to make good food choices and start building the good habits you'll need when you do have restriction (don't drink with meals, take small bites, chew well and eat slowly).

We've all 'been there, done that' and when we reach restriction, 'aren't doing it anymore'. :eek:

Oh, I also don't change my weight on my ticker when my weight goes up. The way I see it, when I lose to a certain number, I claim it. If I see a higher number later, I consider that a fluctuation that will come down again. Maybe this is just a mental game I'm playing w/myself, but I think it would drive me more crazy if I changed my ticker every time I go up and then back down.

Too funny. I did the same thing for about 3 weeks while I yoyo'd between the same flipping 6 pounds.

Take a deep breath, and ease up on yourself. You are not a failure. You are just in the midst of a process that we all wish on occasion was a bit more concrete.

I just today saw some of the work of the last three weeks show up on the scale. The scale was sitting still, and my clothes were getting looser. Part of the problem is Water that comes and goes with stress, exercise and normal cycles. Chances are that you are seeing something similar.

So, start today with a fresh outlook and be kind to yourself. You deserve it.

I totally understand your frustration---I'm right where you are.

You are NOT a failure--how could you be? You're just out of the starting gate, and do not yet have restriction.

like everyone said, very normal. I was terrified my band would never work. My thinking went so far as to wish I had had gastric bypass.

It took 3 fills for me to reach restricion. Hang in there! In the meantime focus on healthy choices, even if your portions are larger than they will be once you have restriction.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for taking the time to reply. I feel better and will plug along until I do get some good restriction.:cursing:

Moxie, I would now like to take the time to Celebrate the fact that you have lost 32 lbs! Way to go! Yeah! (I really need to develop a weight loss cheer, I'm just not that creative) But I am excited. Your doing great, keep up the good work. If you can do this well before you get restriction what can you do after? :cursing:

My surgeon's asst (she does my fills) always sings to me to "just keep swimming" from FInding Nemo :cursing: