Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting back to losing..

I was banded on June 25th of 2008. I started at 228 and lost down to 180. I am now back up to 193. Through the holidays is when I noticed I started to gain the weight back. I seems that I just can not get my mind set back to the frame of eating what I need to. Any answers???:wink:

Sounds like a small fill and journaling your food and exercise might help. The good news is that as long as we have an intact band system we have the potential to lose weight.

Best wishes,

Mimi

I know how you feel. I had sugery sept 25 2008 lost 40 ish lbs in the first 6 months. Then didn't lose again for like another 7 months. I just couldn't get the motivation again. I felt like I was failing my band. Just in the last few months I started getting serious again * losing again FINALLY!!! I started measuring my food again & counting my cals w/ daily plate .com. You have to plan! Make food ahead if you have to. The bottom line is nobody can MAKE us do this. It sucks but we have to do it all ourselves. HTH!

I was banded on June 25th of 2008. I started at 228 and lost down to 180. I am now back up to 193. Through the holidays is when I noticed I started to gain the weight back. I seems that I just can not get my mind set back to the frame of eating what I need to. Any answers???:eek:

Thank you so much for the kind and encouraging words. I think this will help me get back on track.:wink:

Wow Heidi you sound exactly like me! I was banded in Dec 08 and only lost 40ish pounds then got off the bandwagon. Now since January of this year I am "back on" and I am trying to figure out how to make this weight come off! Ive been excercising for the first time in my life and counting calories every day since January 2nd and I have only lost like 9 pounds. Frustrated I went to my surgeon today for a fill and she declined because she said I was "loosing some weight" so my band was fine. Now she is pushing no carb and lots of Protein diet or Meal Replacement shakes...what are you doing to keep it going??? I am more serious today than I was when I put my band in and I need some friendly advice from somone in my shoes. Any advice will be appreicated.

Thanks,

Danielle

So going back on the liquid drinks, is she telling you to go back on liquids like after your band was put in for the first week or so. I think I might try that and see what happens. Any special drink though? I'm not sure if it will work though since they say that liquids just go right through you. Maybe with them being Protein that will help.

So going back on the liquid drinks, is she telling you to go back on liquids like after your band was put in for the first week or so. I think I might try that and see what happens. Any special drink though? I'm not sure if it will work though since they say that liquids just go right through you. Maybe with them being Protein that will help.

Please, please don't go back to liquids unless your deoctor recommends it. You may lose weight over the short-term, but as soon as you start eating solids again, you may gain. The band only restricts solid foods, so you are bypassing the tool. To me going back to basics, means the basics of when you progressed to solids: journaling, getting your minimum grams of Protein and eating your protein first with no food lube, no liquids with meals, no grazing...basically giving your band a chance to work. also check in with your doctor, maybe a fill or "head adjustment" from your doctor will help. Don't be afraid to see your doctor if you've gained some weigh, this is just when u need hom or her most.

I go back to basics periodically. Please also check out my blog, lots of folks say it's giving them some ideas and inspiration when they need it, you can find it at Gloria's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story. You can sign up for email updates, hoepfully a bit of inspiration delivered to your email on a regular basis.

Also, if any of you struggling want to PM me, I'm happy to help!

Edited by atgoalgal
adding more

Even before I was banded, I'd do 4 Protein shakes during the day (Breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon). I was, and still am not, hungry. If that works for you, great. If not...

Another alternative is just to get back to the basics. Make sure you drink your 64 oz of Water. Get all your Protein in. You can do this easily, and boost the protein which helps keep you from being hungry and craving, by drinking a low car, low cal Protein shake mid-meals. Journal everything you put in your mouth...even a tic tac. Make good food choices.

You might calculate how many calories you need to maintain your current weight vs how many you need to maintain your goal weight. You'll either find that you need to lower your calories or (if your calorie requirement is already down to 1200) increase your expenditure by moving more.

Edited by ElfiePoo

Wow Heidi you sound exactly like me! I was banded in Dec 08 and only lost 40ish pounds then got off the bandwagon. Now since January of this year I am "back on" and I am trying to figure out how to make this weight come off! Ive been excercising for the first time in my life and counting calories every day since January 2nd and I have only lost like 9 pounds. Frustrated I went to my surgeon today for a fill and she declined because she said I was "loosing some weight" so my band was fine. Now she is pushing no carb and lots of Protein diet or Meal Replacement shakes...what are you doing to keep it going??? I am more serious today than I was when I put my band in and I need some friendly advice from somone in my shoes. Any advice will be appreicated.

Thanks,

Danielle

Hi Danielle!

Yes, it sounds like we have about tthe same story :-).

I agree w/ your doc.....I think your doing well! 9 lbs in 2 months is great!!!! We all want the weight to FLY off but it's not gonna! :smile2: Sounds like your doing awesome!

Hi Danielle!

Yes, it sounds like we have about tthe same story :-).

I agree w/ your doc.....I think your doing well! 9 lbs in 2 months is great!!!! We all want the weight to FLY off but it's not gonna! :) Sounds like your doing awesome!

I disagree. That's not even 2 lbs a week. If the doctor is basing his fills on what she loses, then he's misusing the fills. We don't get a fill because we have (or have not) lost weight. We get a fill because we're hungry and/or able to eat to excess (assuming we're not eating slider foods).

It's a diet industry myth that it's unsafe to lose more than 2 lbs a week. The more overweight you are, the faster you'll initially lose. If I could only lose 2 lb per week, I'd still have to overeat. Now that I have restriction and am able to stick to about 1200 calories, I've lost 18+ lbs in 3 weeks*.

*Results are not typical.:smile2:

I appreciate both opinions and I am gonna try to keep the mindset that I have right now. I am finally excercising and enjoying it (Turbo Jam DVD's) and I am going to take it one meal at a time and my plan is to shoot for 900-1000 calories a day concentrating on more protien than anything else. For me its truely a mind game! Good luck to everyone..including myself...I'll keep you posted!:smile2:

I appreciate both opinions and I am gonna try to keep the mindset that I have right now. I am finally excercising and enjoying it (Turbo Jam DVD's) and I am going to take it one meal at a time and my plan is to shoot for 900-1000 calories a day concentrating on more protien than anything else. For me its truely a mind game! Good luck to everyone..including myself...I'll keep you posted!:smile2:

:thumbup:YOU GO!!!!!:)