Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 months in and confused

So here I am nine months in and I have never felt what I believe to be "restriction". I have episodes when I may eat too fast or take too big of a bite and I get stuck but I have never had any problem with the amount of food I eat. I have heard people talking about not being able to take one more bite or if they do they have a productive burp which brings it all back up. Is this what the "restriction" refers to and is this inevitable if I keep getting fills?

were in the same boat! I wanna know the same exact thing. Because I feel somewhat tight only because I have to throw up certain foods...But Im never full on half a cup of food...Im at 6.7cc with a 10cc band...I dont wanna get it tight to where I have to throw up everything...but I want to be able to eat half a cup...Im gonna go for another fill next week though...Im jus gonna keep trying to see what works for me

Depends on what I'm eating. It's not only important to learn what foods we can't tolerate, but we need to learn what foods are 'sliders' for us. I made some fried rice tonight with napa cabbage, ground pork, Water chestnuts, onions, egg and various seasonings. I ate one cup...then I ate another cup. Yeah...I overdid it tonight. So I've discovered that rice, when done in this fashion, is a slider food for me. If I had eaten a 3 oz baked fish fillet and 1/2 cup of broccoli, the 2-3 Tbs of rice would not have been a slider food. In fact, I most likely would not have been able to eat the rice at all because, based on experience, I usually am 'full' by the time I finish the rice and broccoli. I do have restriction, by the way.

I'm also having a problem. I had the realize band on 10/26/09 and as of today only lost 23 lbs. I'm at 7 cc's as of tuesday 2-16-10... I am now starting to feel some restriction ... but i have now problem eating.. the only thing i cant tolerate is rice.. i'm starting to get discouraged! hope this fill works!

I'm also having a problem. I had the realize band on 10/26/09 and as of today only lost 23 lbs. I'm at 7 cc's as of tuesday 2-16-10... I am now starting to feel some restriction ... but i have now problem eating.. the only thing i cant tolerate is rice.. i'm starting to get discouraged! hope this fill works!

I also have a Realize band and I was told that they usually don't see restriction until somewhere between 8 and 9 cc's. Hang in there. I have 8.5cc and that did the trick for me.

My doctor told me I a full when I start to feel a little burn, like heartburn. I can feel that and I know I need to stop eating, even though my brain says more please!

No, that's not what good restriction is. You cant "feel" proper restriction in that sense. You will feel what you've experienced, some sort of negative reaction to overeating or eating too fast (even if its not vomiting), but all restriction is is that you reach satiety on a smaller amount of food. Satiety is just the absence of hunger, fullness is something different. It is your job to learn to recognise and aim for satiety not fullness. So in that sense, you shouldnt "feel" your restriction. YOu will just lose weight.

When your restriction is no longer enough, what will happen is that when you eat to satiety you dont also lose weight. So you get a bit more fill and eat a little bit less.

Aiming for some sort of noticeable restriction is usually what is behind people complaining that their bands dont work. Unfortunately, the band is not quite that simple, it requires a lot of work from the user.

My doctor told me I a full when I start to feel a little burn, like heartburn. I can feel that and I know I need to stop eating, even though my brain says more please!

Same exact thing with me. I find if I burp the heartburny feeling goes away and I am not hungry.

So is it possible that after years of eating to the point of "full", satiety is now a foreign concept for some?

I'm worried about this for myself-I go in for my first fill on 3/18.

I looked up satiate in the dictionary and the true definition is: to satisfy to the full; sate. I believe that I am just now grasping this concept also. I'm so used to eating to overfullness that the concept of satiety is new to me. I've always eaten until totally beyond satisfied. I eat a healthy diet; just too much of it. Thanks for the posts on this...something to contemplate...(especially when eating) because now I do have some restriction. My third fill on Monday should really improve the situation. I

think I'm getting it though...thanks again!

ps just a note of interest...a synonym for satiate is "gorge"

Jachut, thanks so much for your post on Satiety I never knew this and I have really been strugling thinking I was doing something wrong when I call the nurse office they tell me it's typical to loose weight slowly but I think my weight loss is ridiculously slow I guess in a way I have been doing something wrong always waiting for that sence of fullness while I am eating. I will have a new approach now when I sit down to eat a meal. Thanks, Lisa :frown:

Banded: 10-7-09 Starting Wt 242lbs. Current Wt 228.4

No restriction yet, only 2 fills with a total of 4cc. in a realize band.

weight.png

Edited by Lisa73