Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about Post Op Followup from your Dr.

I just wanted to see if this was typical - don't want to come across needy - but I thought it was a little odd. I had my surgery on Tuesday of this week with Dr. David Kim. I saw him before my surgery and he spoke with my family after the surgery, but I have not heard a peep from him or his office since the surgery. I haven't had problems, but just thought they would have followed up - Is this typical or am I just being ultra sensitive - post op? :-)

My surgeon or one of the nurses told me to call the office and schedule a post op visit for 2 weeks out. No one from there called me, but I was instructed to call them...maybe they mention it but in your anesethia hang over it was forgotten.

So you don't have a scheduled post-op appt? Usually you go back in a week or so. I had my post-op yesterday and although it felt like a waste of time because like you I'm doing great, I know it was just part of the process. My surgeon also called the day of surgery but I didn't answer and he left a message.

I think your experience is pretty typical. No warm fuzzies from Surgeons. I never heard from my practice unless I initiated the contact. I agree that somewhere there should have been instructions for a post op visit.

Mimi

Thanks everyone - I do have to schedule my post op appt for 2 weeks out, so it sounds like my experience is pretty typical.

I saw my surgeon at the seminar 6 weeks prior to surgery and then half an hour before the knocked me out on the day of surgery. The office called 3 times in the 2 weeks postop and I went home from surgery with a 2 week followup appointment. That appointment was with the surgeon so he could check my incisions, etc.

I haven't seen or heard a peep from him since, although I was told that if I really needed to, that wouldn't be a problem. I haven't needed to.

I saw my surgeon at my initial consult, at my last pre-op appt, the day after my surgery in the hospital, at my 2 week post op appt and then not again until my 6 month post-op. I imagine I will see him at my 1 year post op as well. Any other visits to the office, for fills/unfills and any problems, I usually see one of the 3 physician assistants in his office. Typically I get to see the same PA each time, which is nice because it provides an opportunity build rapport.

I had my surgery on a Thursday, saw my surgeon the following Tuesday for my post op where he removed the strips from my incisions and cleared me for driving. My surgery center (as my surgery was out patient) called a couple days after surgery to ask how I was doing. I then saw my surgeon at the support group a couple of weeks later (he attends each one monthly), and then at my first fill, my second fill, and will see him again when I go in for my third fill on Monday, then again in early March at that support group meeting.

So assuming I attend the monthly support group meetings, I will see him at least once a month. More often depending on how many fills I get.

I saw my surgeon three times before the day of banding which was 2/1/10. No follow-up calls from the office at all. That really pissed me off, but whatever.

The hospital out-patient center called the next day after my surgery.

Every surgery I've ever had, I've had a visit from the surgeon in the hospital on the last day, with instruction to call the surgery, schedule the post op visit and to call sooner if I have any problems/questions. But it would not be typical for them to follow YOU up.

Actually now I think of it, I have been followed up once by a surgeon who did a particularly horrid surgery on my eye. It was rather traumatic and is pretty awful to recover from and he did call personally to see how I was feeling. That was very nice of him.

one of the nurses from the surgeons office called me a week after and asked me all sorts of question to make sure I was doing everything I was supposed to and to check on me. I was a nice gesture and made me feel good that they check up on you! I thought it was pretty cool that the actual hospital called me 3 days in a row to check in on me too!

I saw my surgeon before surgery in Hospital and everytime I go for a fill he does them and talks to me. The hospital did call though.

I saw mine 2 weeks post op and I see him for every fill...

It would be nice if all Dr.s and surgeons were good with follow ups in serious situations like lapband surgery. But let's face it, bedside manner is not their specialty. You could have the best surgeon in the field and the best hospital staff, but they may not be too good at the personal side.

Somehow I think the better the surgeon the worse the bedside manner. I saw my surgeon for a one hour visit when he was evaluating me, during the seminar, and right before the surgery. Since then his PAs do my fills and I'm fine with that. I figure his specialty was the surgery and the PAs specialty is patient care.