Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fills - Is the Band Working?

I was banded on 12/15/09 and had 3 fills since. Each time at the instant of the fill, I feel like I cannot handle more than a couple of swallows of Water. Then an hour later, I can take frequent small drinks and go on liquids for a couple of days. 3 days later, everything seems to slide down fairly easy. A week later, I do not experience any restriction although I am careful to chew and select wisely. Still I do not seem to experience any sensation of fullness like I expected. I am due for another fill next week. I am losing at a good rate but it is all me like any other diet in the past (doomed to

inevitable failure). Is this band working or am I expecting too much too soon? Can any experienced bansters provide input or advice?

Hi Sluggo-

My question is this: when you've had a fill, they remove the previous fill amount into the syringe to check and see if all of the liquid is still in there. Have you had any missing liquid? If so, you could have a leaking band, but this is very uncommon. If not, then just keep going with it. It can really take time and our bodies are amazing things by adjusting to the things we do to them. So, I would say that your body adjusts well after getting a fill. At some point though, you will get the correct amount of a fill and you'll get the restriction you need. And too, you're still losing!!! That's the most important thing. :thumbup:

weight.png

It also depends on how much they are putting in at each fill. Some docs only put in a tiny bit, like .5 at each fill.

I only had 2 fills to get to very tight restriction and they had added some at the time of surgery. It depends on the size of your band and your anatomy.

Many other bandsters have the same size band that I do and feel no restriction with my current fill level. For me, if they even added one more drop, I would be back on liquids forever.

My stomach wall tissue that is inside the band may be thicker than others. They also include some fat under/inside where the band is to reduce the risk of erosion.

Your next fill just may do the trick.

What time are you getting your fills? Are you tighter at a particular time of day? I am so tight in the morning and lucky me my first fill was at 7:45 am, so of course I have no restriction. Next fill is 2 weeks from today at 9 am. I'd love to get an afternoon appointment one of these times, but they book so fast! Oh well, perhaps #2 will work. I'm trying to stay optimistic LOL

Hang in there. Everyone is different. Someone can be just fine with one or two, some need three or more. Hope you get your restriction soon!!!

I was banded on 12/15/09 and had 3 fills since. Each time at the instant of the fill, I feel like I cannot handle more than a couple of swallows of Water. Then an hour later, I can take frequent small drinks and go on liquids for a couple of days. 3 days later, everything seems to slide down fairly easy. A week later, I do not experience any restriction although I am careful to chew and select wisely. Still I do not seem to experience any sensation of fullness like I expected.

The 'number' of fills does not matter. It's the amount they put in on the fill. Some doctors only put .5cc in at a time so it will take many more fills to get to restriction than doctors like mine are much more aggressive with fills.

If the swelling is going down within a week and you no longer have restriction, I'd make an appointment to get another fill. Some people say you can get a fill every week, but (and especially as you get closer to that sweet spot) I'd suggest every 2 weeks to make sure all the swelling is going down and let you get used to what you can no longer eat.

Hang in there...eventually you'll get restriction and it won't feel like you're dieting.