Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for March 2010 bandsters threads

i have a banding date of march 12. i start my pre op diet this friday. i'm so excited,nervous, and etc.!!!

It's official. I was approved by the insurance company and my surgery date is March 4th! I'm a March bandster. Long journey ahead but headed in the right direction. Having trouble controlling portions in preparation for the surgery .

i have a banding date of march 12. i start my pre op diet this friday. i'm so excited,nervous, and etc.!!!

That's my date as well!!! I'm sooo excited...March 12th- here I come!!!:tongue_smilie:

For me, this has been a long journey. Not sure what I would be doing without the info on this website! I find it profound how this type of surgery can have so many variables depending on your surgeon or insurance. You would think there would be more standard protocol, but really- we are all over the map- as far as how much information we get, what our requirements are-like for insurance- and what the diet structure is pre op and it vaires crazily post op!

I can totally understand pre-op diets varying depending on the person and trying to get ready- medical conditions-and healthy livers and all, but Post op? I am amazed how different our processes are. Seems to me that if there were some more structure- folks would have some better outcomes than I'm reading on this site.

But, we all need to read and hear the good the bad and the ugly. Thats how we are going to make better choices and decsions for ourselves.

To qualify; My insurance had me go 6 months supervised diet with a nutritionist. I've lost a litlle more than 20lbs slow and steady. Since I've had to see the nurses and nutritionist every month- and they run a STRICT program-- there was no way I was going to gain in between and pay the consequences. I'm still amazed I did qualify- but I'm in a good program and we put enough pieces together to make it get approved. It was total teamwork. I don't regret the process because I feel informed; but I am so impatient.

March 15th can not come quick enough. :laugh: I could have had March 1, but I have a huge fundraiser for the non profit organization I run on the 13th and just couldn't do it before. I will be very tired- but at least extremely preoccupied in the days before. I'm going to talk to my Doc about the fundraiser, because usually afterward my immune system crashes. I'll need to focus on extremely making sure I'm protein-ed up, maybe it will help.

However, I, too want to eat every thing that might be "not tolerated" after surgery. My weakness is really good crusty bread. I am from a family of foodies. Picky, all good healthy food eaters. I'm a vegetarian, so it complicates things. I've been one forever. Greek Yogurt has become by new Best Friend. Also, I have been replacing some meals with GNC's lean shakes with xtra added Protein. My pre op diet is 10 days full liquid. I have my final consultation this Thursday am- and then I will probably treat myself to a nice lunch. There is pretty much one week inbetween my final consult and when my liquid pre op begins. I'll need a little willpower then! They warn us up and down about the "Last Supper Syndrome". Well Duh! We don't know how we are going to feel after- and certainly for the guidelines I'm given- I don't get soft food for a month! Thats a lot of hard work!

I'm not telling many people- a few- but no family for now. I'm trying to figure out how to include my 5 year old daughter in the process, but the little parrot will tell everyone far and wide. :cool2: My hubby has been great. I haven't always been overweight. I was actually a professional athlete- which ashames me to menition at this weight. But lifestyle changes and health crisises change everything. I'm taking back what I can. So far, so good.

I'm ready. I can't wait. I know that the surgery is just "one part" of the process- and I'm just looking forward to getting that behind me. Ya know, It's not the surgery I want to get behind me it's the 10 day pre op liquid diet, the 4 days Clear liquids and 14 days liquids and the next 10 blenderized. It's sometimes overwhelming, but usually I can bring myself back to center by keeping my daughter and my family and my health in focus. I'm lucky to have them. I'm glad to be in a conservative program- better to err on the side of caution and heal.

Fellow March Bandsters- I'm psyched for all of us! Thank you for sharing your info with me, because it is a huge help. March 1 is just a few short days away and some of us will be finally banded! Keep us in the loop and Good Luck! :tongue_smilie:

i just got my date this morning march 18th is my surgery date. From my very first consult visit to eveything in between to my surgery date its only been 3 1/2 month process and wait. needed to lose 12 pounds and I've lost 21 pounds. :tongue_smilie:

I am scheduled for March 18th in Mexico, can't wait! I applied in the US but insurance wouldn't cover it since I have a BMI under 40 (37.?) without co-morbidity, so I started checking out Medical Tourism. Had a hard time locating after care, was worried about follow up care until I found OCC and Dr Ortiz and Fill Center, now I'm confident that all will be fine. My husband is on the program here in VA, but it is going to take him several more months before his surgery is scheduled, he has to jump through alot of hoops to get insurance to pay. We look forward to making the lifestyle change together, hoping that we will find it easier being able to support one another. I am SO ready to do it!!

I feel the exact same way! :cool2: getting yours in Mexico?

If you feel like you don't have enough info, check out the web site at obesitycontrolcenter.com There is alot of great info on there, I am getting my surgery done there after mega research and can't wait!:tongue_smilie:

Exactly a week from now they will be waking me up in the recovery room and telling me to get up and walk around.

I can't believe it is almost over. I can eat real food again 5 weeks from now. Woohoo. I may not be hungry but I miss the stuff.

Hi: Can you tell us what you are eating/drinking on your pre op diet? I'm curious since I will be having my surgery on March 24th and interested to know what others are eating and drinking, what's their favorites, what tastes better than others etc. Good Luck and thanks for any help you can give me. Eileen

My pre-op is 3 week of 5 Optifast shakes a day.

They come in strawberry, chocolate and vanilla. The vanilla is kind of bland but the other 2 are delicious!

I am losing about a pound a day but they bind me up because of the lack of Fiber.

Thanks so much, I'm going to try them. Good luck and keep in touch. Eileen

For all of you that have no idea of what you're doing or need more questions answered and for some reason or the other don't have access to information.

I not only stalked this site which Quite frankly was discouraging to me sometimes. My Dr. recommended me for the surgery over 2 years ago but I read so many discouraging things on the site about PB'ing and band slippage that I kept putting it off thinking I can lose it on my own. I had to finally admit to myself that I couldn't and I came back.

Well anyway, I know not everyone likes to read but I have read 3 books about the surgery and I really feel that I know enough to teach a class now :).

The most informative and simple to read and understand was Weight Loss surgery for dummies available at your book stores and Amazon where I got mine.

I have read about everything from how to start considering if you qualify for the surgery , the insurance process, how to find a DR. What to do before the surgery . How to get ready for the surgery. What to take to the hospital. What you will feel like. What to do on the day you come home. What to eat before and after. How to search for a self-pay Dr...just everything.

Edited by msdv

Re: Good Reads:

I read the Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies and

Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gaastric Band (Robert Sewell) Both were worth the money- or either.

Re: Good Reads:

I read the Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies and

Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gaastric Band (Robert Sewell) Both were worth the money- or either.

Yes, I read those 2 and a book about Muhammad Ali's daughter Khaliah that had the surgery done by the 1st surgeon I was referred to.

They answered every question I could possibly have and then some.

I'm March 24th. Looking forward to it but also scared of what's going to happen. I know it's for the good of my health but I'm so afraid of failing. I want to be thin or at least not fat anymore. I have wonderful support with my husband, he's my cheering section, I don't know what I would do without him. I just don't want to fail him or myself. Good luck to all of you, just think, in April we will all be done being March bandsters and someone else will be in our place and we will be able to look back and see what we've accomplished. God Bless all of you. Eileen