Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, Just Joined And Question About Motrin

About Motrin Usage  

1 member has voted

1. 1. About Motrin Usage

• I don't use it because of the lapband.
    • I take the pills with food and it's not a problem.
    • I take the liquid with food and it's not a problem.
    • I used it but it gave me stomach pain or ulcer.

Hi,

I'm a female S/P banding back in 9/05 by Dr. Ren. My top weight was 315. I came down to about 305 with Atkins. After the preop diet, I was about 285. I lost down to 194 over the years, but my appetite has returned with a vengeance. I've had the esophogram and it's ok. I'm all the way up to 3.6 cc in a 4 cc band. Like my screen name says, I'm out of control. I've not been able to go to the support groups. The ones I know about are several miles away. I am constantly hungry, and I'm joining here to try to get back on track.

Does anyone take Motrin? I know we are told not to, but some places say it's ok even immediately postop for bandsters. I'm thinking the real problem is if you don't take it with food and it just sits on top of the pouch as it's melting and doesn't go down. It seems that if you could feel it go down, it should be ok. Many times Motrin is the only med that will work for my various aches and pains. I would need a toxic dose of Tylenol for the same effect. Even the prescription hydrocodone didn't work for me when I tried it immediately postop from getting the band. I had to dissolve it and it was so nasty that I had to stop taking it after that first dose. Speaking of dissolving, what about liquid Motrin? That should be ok, because it should just slide on through, right?

Thanks in advance.

My surgeon did not specifically say to avoid Motrin, so I have taken it. My band is not tight, so I can swallow the ibuprofen tablets since they are small. I have also taken the liquid Motrin. If your doctor doesn't have a problem with it and your only worry is it sitting in the pouch, then take the liquid.

Edited by crzytchr

My Dr. told me it was ok to take it postop in liquid form. I had surgery on Tuesday and I've taken it a couple times when I didn't want to take the hydrocodone...it works but it makes me tired and so I have taken the liquid ibuprophen just fine.

i have to take high doses of motrin and my doc says if you are taking high doses daily to take something like a prevacid or prilosec also. i haven't had any issues

My doctor said do not take any NSAIDs ever again (advil, motrin, aleve, etc.). I even explained that I only take one Rx strength aleve per month for cramps and she said I should go back to my PCP and have her prescribe something different. I don't know if it is really that bad, but that is what she told me to do. And, since the Rx strength aleve wasn't working that well for me anyway, I don't mind trying something different.