Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating utensils

Before my surgery which was a week ago Friday, I received a really small spoon in a hospital gift bag along with some other things.

My question is....do any of you use smaller eating utensils? Smaller dishes? Does it help you with being more realistic with portion sizes?

I've searched for smaller utensils and unless i want baby utensils I cannot find any. If you use them is there any resources maybe online?

Thanks in advance for your help:smile2:

I went out before surgery and bought 1 dessert/bread plate. It was bright red, yellow and black, heavy weight and I use it for every meal I eat at home! It makes me feel I am eating a whole plate of food. I purchased smaller spoons bt I really don't use them.......The plate has been great and I also bought bright colored measuring cups and I keep them on the counter for easy access. good luck to you

Yup - I use all small utinsils and plates. even juice size glasses. It really DOES help me alot. i eat smaller bites, and it takes a lot longer for me to finish my meal.

Good luck to you! :-)

Yes I use condiment spoon and small forks - I eat off dessert/sandwich plates and I have 1 cup bowls - been doing it for 2.5 yrs now..

It's what we are suppose to do.. Welcome to the life of a bander

Yes, I use smaller utensils. The baby spoon and fork are much too small for me to feel comfortable, however, I do use forks and spoons that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond. I had just bought a beautiful set of Vera Wang silverware a few months before the surgery, so it's a disappointment not to use them.

Their forks and spoons from BBB are not teensy, but not large either. I like the curved shape. (You can buy them piece by piece.)

I use a small fancy butter knife, the kind that comes with the silverware set, you know with the matching scalloped sugar spoon.

I use salad plates and then beautiful cappucino cups for my Soups (which I eat often).

I bought a pretty set of shot glasses -beveled glass- which are 2 oz. in size. (They are the largest that I know of.) I use a juicer and put my fresh orange and grapefruit juice in them. Sometimes I have more juice, depends on the size of the fruit, but I just refill when ready.

If my salad plates are all in the dishwasher, yes, I'm not crazy about housework, I use a full plate and put my food in shallow sided ramekins. Looks kind of like when you eat at a cafeteria or Crackle Barrel...I like that! :thumbup:

I was not comfortable using the baby spoon or fork. I tried them and the handles were too small. I usually use a ice tea spoon. It works for me. Its smaller than a regular teaspoon and I like the long handle. I sometimes use the small forks that came with my silverware set. Most of the time I use a regular fork. I use a steak knife to cut my meat, chicken or fish, into smaller pieces.

I like to use my dessert plates. They are bigger than a plate for a cup and smaller than a dinner plate. I also use smaller size bowls. I keep a stack of the smaller bowls for easy use so I don't let myself choose another size.

I use my china for every day now. I frequently switch back and forth between my dish sets (I have four sets of dishes).

My glasses I use are on the small side anyway so I didn't have to change that.

I also have two types of glass measuring cups on my counter. I measure everything routinely when I put put on my plate. Its become so part of my measuring out food that I don't even notice that I'm measuring things.

Once I measure the food or drink, that is frequently all that works for me to eat. I know that is the correct amount and somehow it works that I feel satisfied with that amount.

I was given a small fork and spoon also in a gift bag when I left the hospital. I used them for a long time and they really helped. I find I don't really need them any longer because I have learned how to eat smaller bites and it is habit now. Unless, on a rare occasion I am in a hurry and eat too fast and even small flatware won't help that. Do what feels best and works best.

I've always been a fast eater...i hate that and trying so hard to work on it. I hope these help me. I found some that don't look so child like. It feels good to know some of you have gone through this too. I did find some pretty plates that are china. It does make you feel better to have something nice to eat on instead of those little one once plastic cups.

I do measure everything because i don't want to get anything stuck by eating too much. That scares me lol.

You all sound so organized but i'm only a week out of surgery so I know it will come in time. I just don't want any medical problems.....and i'm so afraid that this knot under my port is a hernia...different thread lol.

Thanks you guys very much for this.....the support here is great!

Go to the picnic section of Wal-Mart or Target, they have sets of kid silverware that are not for babies but for kids. I have those and it really helps.

Oh I didn't think about the picnic dept...thank you!

I went to a store called Creative Kitchen ( I imagine and Kitchen / Cooking store, or resaraunt supply store would have them also ) I picked up Shrimp / Seafood Forks, and Demitase , or Cappucino Spoons :-)

Good luck !

I use silver plated baby cutlery from a specialty store for a nice meal, or the bright plastic baby cutlery from Walmart for everyday use. I find that they help me not absent minedly take too big a bite, in case I forget to chew enough. I keep a set in my lunch bag & car. I don't use them in a restaurant. Those are the meals where I sometimes end up in the bathroom, from not paying enough attention. When out, I have to be more concious of waiting for that first bite to go through.

I use the small dessert plates & bowls for my meals & Cereal. I keep pictures of what they look like with a cup of rice in them, so that I don't over fill them.

I freeze leftovers in 1 cup ziplock containers & take one out in the morning to defrost for my dinner.< /span>

I am finding that lately I have not been as good with my late night snacking, but I have finally started exercising.

I found a one egg frying pan at Meijer. It's the cutest little frying pan and literally cooks one egg. I found a whisk that is small as well as a spatula. It literally makes it feel like there is so much in that pan. I did find some Onida flatware for toddlers on Amazon.com and it was about 14.00 a setting. It's got the fork, knife and spoon.

Just thought i would share what my progress was in the utensils department.

Now just in search of some really awesome receipes to cook in my new little pan.